“Adventure awaits!!! ”

and up
Cerro Negro and Volcano Sand Boarding from León
Ranked #1 of 50 things to do in Leon
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

For thrill seekers, and even part-time adventurers, a must-do, once in a lifetime thrill is definitely volcano boarding! There are dozens of outfitters who will take you. We used Quetzaltrekkers, which we really enjoyed, was only $30, very safe and included lunch! The hike up the volcano was steep--be prepared to sweat! Wear good hiking shoes. Don't forget sunscreen! The views at the top alone are worth the hike!

Now, I'm about 50% thrill seeker, and I was nervous at first about boarding, but you really can control the speed! I actually stopped accidentally 3 times on the way down! My boyfriend went pretty fast, and loved it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,075)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"easy climb"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

My 12 year old son and I hiked the volcano. It was so much fun and definitely a little bit challenging! We are not hikers and weren't wearing the right shoes but found the hike very enjoyable and a bit challenging due to the rocky terrain and winds. Our guide carried our boards up the hill for us when he saw us having difficulty, which made it much easier. The views were absolutely amazing.....breathtaking! My son got a little nervous once up at the top (he is not a huge thrill seeker), but after watching a few people go down, he was ready to do it himself. The ride down was a lot of fun and it is easy to control your speed. I even came to a complete stop twice and cleared my board of rocks.
This is definitely worth doing and if I can do it, almost anyone can!!! Bring a bandana with you to cover your mouth.....even with one, I still felt grit in my teeth. What a great experience that we will talk about for years to come!!!!

Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

If you stay in Leon or nearby and want to do something very nice, you absolutely have to do this. From the beginning when your guide comes pick you up at your hotel until the cold beer that you will have at the end of the trip. I recommand it 150% .do it!! It worth the price you will pay. Im pretty sure all the guides they have are great but if you have the choice, I recommand Said. He's super funny and he knows a lot about the volcano. A lot of jokes comes out of this guy!!

1  Thank Robert C
Reviewed 8 June 2017

Volcano boarding is one of the things that you need to do when in Leon.

I booked it through Nica Time as it was the cheapest one I could find as I didn't want to pay extra through the hostel just to see how fast I was going and it was amazing.

The hike up is really good but a little challenging and our guide told us all about the volcanos that surround this one and his knowledge of Nicaragua was impressive.

When you are at the top of the volcano and about to launch off it looks really steep but its pretty easy to slow down by putting your feet down, have fun and if you bail remember to tuck and roll!