“Fun hostel, but little included in the price”
Review of Bigfoot Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leon
Bigfoot Hostel
Ranked #5 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Leon
Reviewed 9 March 2012

This is one of those hostels on the backpacker path that everyone knows about, and goes to for a party.They organize different activities everynight that can get pretty loud. There is a bar, a pool table, drinking jenga, TV, a swimming pool, etc.

We got a private room, and it was very basic. Just a bed with a sheet thrown over it, a small table, and a fan. The pillows were a bit lumpy. Shared bathrooms with cold water, which is OK because it is SO hot in Leon. You will be lucky if the swimming pool is actually filled and ready to use, but it is fun to watch the turtles wander around.

No breakfast, but there is a kitchen or a nice cafe attached to the hostel. Wifi works well in the common area. Staff isn't overly friendly, kind of disinterested. It is more about the other travelers you meet there. The hostel offers Volcano Boarding and trips to the beach.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DriftingDuo

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed here two nights. Dorm rooms were big, but dark, and a little stuffy - ok if you're only going to sleep there. There is no outside alcohol allowed - but the drinks at the bar were cheap. Other travellers were friendly, the staff seemed a little disinterested. Mattresses were plastic-covered - it annoyed some fellow travellers, but I was comforted by the bug control, and the hostel was generally clean. Volcano boarding with Bigfoot was awesome, and our guide was super friendly and helpful. Overall, a good place to stay for a backpacker.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Unfortunately they have racist policies and do not allow locals in the bar. I had two local friends walk in off the street to say goodbye to me on my last night in Leon and they were rudely asked to leave. I was told it was a management policy that locals were not supposed to be in Bigfoot. It's one thing to say no visitors in the hostel and have a guard standing outside that part. It's completely another to have a bar and restaurant and deny access to that part based on racial profiling. They told me later they were worried it was too full- it's interesting then that my foreign friends were quite easily able to get in. After the incident, I was trying to leave and I was told that it would not be a good idea for my local friend, who had just bought something, to stay if we left. Easily my worst night in Leon, which is a shame because except for this racist policy, most of the staff is extremelynice and the food is also good.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank YokG
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We stayed 2 nights at Bigfoot. Taxi from the bus-station was $20 cordobas per person. Rooms were clean, the sinks were being renovated, so we were without for one day. Felt somewhat run-down, but they were in the process of cleaning, re-painting, and rejuvenating. Private room was $15 a night for two people, had a fan and a clothes-line, but only one window to the courtyard inside. Good, cheap restaurant attached to the lobby, wifi was reliable, and volcano boarding was amazing - if you do it: **Bring a bandana and high socks!!** We feel they should tell you that, there were a fair number of minor road-rash type injuries that could have been easily avoided. Not a big deal, but a hassle if you need to bandage your leg for the day in Las Penitas following your boarding.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2012

This hostel was ok, private room we got was quite dark, no windows, but spacious. Wifi was pretty unreliable most of the time. TV area is right by the pool table and bar which opens onto road so difficult to hear. Not enough chill out areas, but there are table and chairs and a couple of hammocks. Small pool is ok for a refreshing dip, nice to see tortoises wandering around. Kitchen is not great - badly equipped, small with only 2 hobs to cook on. Cafe attached I wouldn't recommend as they seemed to run out of everything, go to Via Via across the street. Some staff were really nice to deal with but others were rude and dismissive. You can book Volcano boarding from here, however Quetzal trekkers around the corner also offer it for $30 each and the money goes to supporting street children (you also get 2 runs down the volcano rather than 1 as with Bigfoot and snacks & lunch are included). There's no book exchange, but there is one in Via Via which you have to pay for exchanging if you are not a guest. In summary I'd stay in Via Via if I went back.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosats148
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Given that all the hostels in Leon went nuts and ask for stupid prices given the cost of living in Nicaragua (they even give you the quote in dollars when you first ask) I'm gonna give BigFoot a 4 because there are far worst hostels asking for the same price.

- Party Hostel, but not that noisy actually , I did sleep normally
- Kitchen / Slow internet
- Nice common area
- Activities
- Clean bed

Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This hostel does NOT care about any of their guests. Party is top priority here. You are one in a million guests in and out (who knows why), so they don't care how your stay was.

I emailed ahead to confirm reservations for a private room, they replied and said no problem. When we arrived, they did not have a room for us and we had to stay in the dorms, which were very dark. The internet takes about 10 min to load any page at all, I couldn't even check email. They tried to argue about giving us the deal for dorms+volcano boarding, but eventually gave it to me when I was adamant that they did not offer it when we checked in (as we were arguing about the reservation).

We checked out and found a new hotel (there are TONS nearby, do not feel limited to what is available online, every 5th building is a hotel or hostel in Leon), left our stuff in storage at Bigfoot to go volcano boarding (super dangerous, be careful, they do not warn you; instead they try to make you break speed records. multiple people have broken their collarbones)

After we got back to get our stuff, they told us a private room was available, we took it for convenience sake... their cat peed on our bed and they refused to refund our money, saying it was our fault. the mattress was not protected and was soaked with cat pee.

The owner is ridiculous and does not care about her customers happiness at all. She is making tons of money and doesn't need to care about one bad experience, clearly. Do not stay here. There are hundreds of other better places to stay, and tons of places to go volcano boarding.

my shower flooded and did not drain, as well as a toilet did not flush. they did not seem to care about upkeep at all.

Room Tip: do not stay here. tons of better places around. the tours they offer are offered in tons of location...