“A Fun Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bigfoot Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leon
Bigfoot Hostel
Ranked #7 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Leon
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“A Fun Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

Bigfoot Hostel was so much fun! The volcano boarding was awesome! Definitely something I can check off my bucket list! The tour guide was nice and funny. The ride there is a little bumpy and the hike up was a work out for sure. The view from the top was gorgeous. There was a mojito waiting for everyone when we got back! Nicaragua is a beautiful country and I highly recommend everyone to visit at least once in your life!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Skyelore H
boliveir, Owner at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Hi Skyelore
Thank you for your review. Im glad you liked the hostel and volcano boarding... and yeah you are right the view is awesome.
Take care and have a safe trip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

This place was amazing. We were in leon for a couple of nights and the staff and hostel itself made it a great experience. Volcano boarding was a blast and these guys started it a few years ago. It's a very sociable hostel with a fun bar, which provided us a mojito on our return from the boarding :)

• Stayed January 2013
boliveir, Owner at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Hi Alex
Thank you so much for your review. Im glad you had a blast in Bigfoot. We do our best to serve our guests and this is what make the hostel great. Check it out the pictures on our Facebook page, its free.
Take care and have a safe trip
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

Easy to be sociable in this hostel, with the great (and cheap) mojitos, volcano boarding (with more mojitos after... ), cute cats wandering around, nice food and the little pool to cool down in. Definitely go here!

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

I saw a traveling friend on Facebook post Bigfoot and immediately I placed Volcano Boarding on my list of things to do before I die. I was torn before which Central American county to travel to next, but this made up my mind. I decided to go to Bigfoot toward the end of my trip just in case I broke anything boarding. When I arrived at Bigfoot I was hot from wondering the streets of Leon with my pack and they had a Tona waiting for me at the door as I checked in. I thought I would take the next morning tour of the volcano, but they told me they had one going out that afternoon. I was a little apprehensive because of how hot I was from walking for a while, but I checked in my dorm and cooled down with my beer and decided I may as well continue the adventure than and get a little extra beach time the next couple days. So I took the afternoon tour, which I was so happy I did. The hike up the volcano was steep in the beginning and then got better in the end. The ride down was not quite as scary as thought it would be even though I did wipe out. The end was the best part, because than we got to watch the sun set with a nice cold Tona and the relief of making it down alive with nothing broken. It was definitely an experience to remember. We then headed back to the Hostel, where they had mojitos waiting for us. After drinking mojitos and pick volcanic rock out of my scalp, I realized maybe it was time for a shower. The facilities were very well maintained and clean. I felt comfortable showering and getting ready in the dorm for what awaited next. I made many friends on the tour and once I was ready a game of flip top was going. Everyone was welcome in the game and it was a lot of fun. Than they guided some of us, actually all my new friends to go on the pub crawl bus. They took us to several bars and nightclubs. We lost people and we gained new people at each place we went. In the end I am not quite sure where everyone went, but it seemed like me and one other were the only ones left, so we tried to find our way back to Bigfoot drunk and unfamiliar with where we were, since we had both just arrived that day, but somehow the friendly locals pointed us in the right direction. We saw the orange on the side of the building and made it inside. I never slept better than that night. The next day I decided to head out to the beach and Bigfoot provided me a shuttle to get there. It was a great 24 hours that I spent at Bigfoot. I did not go back on this trip, but ended up back at Bigfoot one and a half months later. I fell in love with Nicaragua so much that I could not stay away for very long, so I came back. The next trip I stayed at Bigfoot for a 5 days and it was every bit as much fun and welcoming. The people were always welcoming and always trying to get everyone involved in something. They had actually done some improvements to the property since the last time also. They put an overhead in the back with additional hammocks and a sitting area with a TV to watch football or whatever. I thought I would go to Bigfoot for volcano boarding and then leave, but I didn’t want to leave and I am sure I will be back at some point for a 3rd and 4th visit. Definitely not to be overlooked and you will love Leon also!

Room Tip: Didn't have problems in any room was able to sleep in front and back, becuase it is always quiet...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SunKissingMoon
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

Bigfoot is easily the most fun and exciting hostel i have ever stayed at during backpacking adventures around the world!!
The owner is "top bloke" (in aussie terms...hahaha). They provide a great service and excellent advice and travel tips for Leon and surrounding areas.
The price for a dorm or private is SUPER inexpensive and their biggest attraction is " VOLCANO BOARDING"!! If you haven't done this and you are a regular travelller or just a tourist it is a must on the "BUCKET LIST" of things to do in life! I warn you though, it is very addictive!!! HAHA!!
I can't speak highly enough of this hostel and anytime I am in Leon this is the ONLY place to stay!!!
Take my advice and you won't regret this experience!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Hey Craig
Thank you so much for your review... Cant wait to see you again bro. Next time I want to see you break the speed record of 95kph on the board. Take care Craig
Port Macquarie, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

We stayed at bigfoot for around 2 weeks and from our experience and through speaking with others would recomend that its the place to be in Leon. the hostel has a pool, bar, cafe, great staff and a friendly happening vibe. there are lots of places to chill out whether it be around the hostel in the hamocks and the pool or at the beach, which is about a 20 min shuttle ride away, wich departs daily.During the night you can jump on the night club tour with one of the staff or just hangout at the big foot bar, famous for its mojitos and chilli shots.
other activities offered are the shuttles to Guatamola, El Salvador and Volcano boarding. Look no further, book at BIGFOOT hostel!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Angus F
Hi Gus
Thank you so much for your review. Im glad you liked Bigfoot and hope to see you soon Bro.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

Bigfoot is hands down the best hostel in Leon, good food, wicked bar, volcano boarding! Owners are really good people, always making sure your taken care of. The food next door is all homemade, amazing pasta and pizza. Bar has cheap, good cold beer, always something going on. Super chill in the day crazy night life at night. Volcano boarding is unreal, def recommend anyone travelling the coast up/down Nica to stay for a few nights..

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Hi Joe
Thank you so much for your review. Im glad you had a great time and was well taking care while staying with us.... and yes its true we have cheap drinks at the bar and it can be pretty addicting...
Joe take care and have a safe trip