“Perfectly located, clean, friendly... Loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bigfoot Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leon
Bigfoot Hostel
Ranked #3 of 61 Speciality Lodging in Leon
Bucharest, Romania
“Perfectly located, clean, friendly... Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

We definitely need to come back! :)

We spent three nights in Bigfoot Hostel, in a four-bed room. Nice place, very good location practically a step away from everything in Leon (including cheap comedores and fancy restaurants), tasty breakfast (just try the French toast and the cappuccino!), a small but sweet garden (by the way, how are the turtles doing, guys?)... and enough showers, including one with hot water, so you won't need to wait too long even if there are many people in the hostel.

It would be hard to find a hostel caring more about cleanliness than this one!!

They will give you the perfect travel tips. Be sure not to miss the trip to Poneloya & The Surfing Turtle Lodge! And of course, be sure not to miss the volcano boarding! (I still can't understand how I could miss it! My two friends who went were thrilled, they'd do it again and again!)

So yeah, out of all the hostel we stayed in Nicaragua, Bigfoot is our favourite.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

I have done my fair share of travel and hands down bigfoot is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in.
I extended my stay there TWICE... It had just the right vibe going on; chilled and laid back during the day but come night, the place switched gear and the bar was packed. They provided a shuttle to the bars in Leon if you felt like kicking on... Which you will : ) the cocktails are too good.

The staff were brilliant, killer bar tenders and they were super helpful with any questions you had about further travel in Central America.

Lastly, the volcano boarding is a MUST! There is something about the adrenaline kick you get when you are flying down the face of a volcano.

The dorms, private rooms (I stayed in both) bathrooms and kitchen were always clean. When I stayed there they were constantly upgrading the place, adding new rooms and changing menu for the cafe.

Definitely Do yourself a favor and go visit them. Thanks team bigfoot!! Legends!! I will be back : )

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Emspess
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

Bigfoot Hostel was so much fun! The volcano boarding was awesome! Definitely something I can check off my bucket list! The tour guide was nice and funny. The ride there is a little bumpy and the hike up was a work out for sure. The view from the top was gorgeous. There was a mojito waiting for everyone when we got back! Nicaragua is a beautiful country and I highly recommend everyone to visit at least once in your life!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Skyelore H
boliveir, Owner at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Hi Skyelore
Thank you for your review. Im glad you liked the hostel and volcano boarding... and yeah you are right the view is awesome.
Take care and have a safe trip
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

This place was amazing. We were in leon for a couple of nights and the staff and hostel itself made it a great experience. Volcano boarding was a blast and these guys started it a few years ago. It's a very sociable hostel with a fun bar, which provided us a mojito on our return from the boarding :)

• Stayed January 2013
boliveir, Owner at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Hi Alex
Thank you so much for your review. Im glad you had a blast in Bigfoot. We do our best to serve our guests and this is what make the hostel great. Check it out the pictures on our Facebook page, its free.
Take care and have a safe trip
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

Easy to be sociable in this hostel, with the great (and cheap) mojitos, volcano boarding (with more mojitos after... ), cute cats wandering around, nice food and the little pool to cool down in. Definitely go here!

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

I saw a traveling friend on Facebook post Bigfoot and immediately I placed Volcano Boarding on my list of things to do before I die. I was torn before which Central American county to travel to next, but this made up my mind. I decided to go to Bigfoot toward the end of my trip just in case I broke anything boarding. When I arrived at Bigfoot I was hot from wondering the streets of Leon with my pack and they had a Tona waiting for me at the door as I checked in. I thought I would take the next morning tour of the volcano, but they told me they had one going out that afternoon. I was a little apprehensive because of how hot I was from walking for a while, but I checked in my dorm and cooled down with my beer and decided I may as well continue the adventure than and get a little extra beach time the next couple days. So I took the afternoon tour, which I was so happy I did. The hike up the volcano was steep in the beginning and then got better in the end. The ride down was not quite as scary as thought it would be even though I did wipe out. The end was the best part, because than we got to watch the sun set with a nice cold Tona and the relief of making it down alive with nothing broken. It was definitely an experience to remember. We then headed back to the Hostel, where they had mojitos waiting for us. After drinking mojitos and pick volcanic rock out of my scalp, I realized maybe it was time for a shower. The facilities were very well maintained and clean. I felt comfortable showering and getting ready in the dorm for what awaited next. I made many friends on the tour and once I was ready a game of flip top was going. Everyone was welcome in the game and it was a lot of fun. Than they guided some of us, actually all my new friends to go on the pub crawl bus. They took us to several bars and nightclubs. We lost people and we gained new people at each place we went. In the end I am not quite sure where everyone went, but it seemed like me and one other were the only ones left, so we tried to find our way back to Bigfoot drunk and unfamiliar with where we were, since we had both just arrived that day, but somehow the friendly locals pointed us in the right direction. We saw the orange on the side of the building and made it inside. I never slept better than that night. The next day I decided to head out to the beach and Bigfoot provided me a shuttle to get there. It was a great 24 hours that I spent at Bigfoot. I did not go back on this trip, but ended up back at Bigfoot one and a half months later. I fell in love with Nicaragua so much that I could not stay away for very long, so I came back. The next trip I stayed at Bigfoot for a 5 days and it was every bit as much fun and welcoming. The people were always welcoming and always trying to get everyone involved in something. They had actually done some improvements to the property since the last time also. They put an overhead in the back with additional hammocks and a sitting area with a TV to watch football or whatever. I thought I would go to Bigfoot for volcano boarding and then leave, but I didn’t want to leave and I am sure I will be back at some point for a 3rd and 4th visit. Definitely not to be overlooked and you will love Leon also!

Room Tip: Didn't have problems in any room was able to sleep in front and back, becuase it is always quiet...