“Don't kid yourself, it's a party hostel”
Review of Bigfoot Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leon
Bigfoot Hostel
Ranked #4 of 60 Speciality Lodging in Leon
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Don't kid yourself, it's a party hostel”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

First the good: the staff are all very nice, the bathrooms are squeaky clean, the food at the attached restaurant is tasty, the drinks at the bar are reasonably priced, the air conditioned dorm is only $1.50 more than the regular dorm (and worth the extra cost since Leon is so hot) and the volcano boarding is SUPER FUN. Now for the "bad" (and please do keep in mind it's only bad from my perspective, it might be awesome from yours): this really is a party hostel. The music is LOUD until at least 11 PM (later on weekends) every night and people get drunk (the hostel can hold a hundred people at a time, most there to party, so you get the picture). You will wake up in the morning to beer cans, plastic cups and sticky puddles on the floor of the dorm room. One night some people had loud sex on the top bunk in my dorm room (and those bunk beds are not the sturdiest). So long as you know this upfront and you want to party rather than sleep, this is a great place to do that!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Hi Traveling bad
Thank you for your review and for explaining that "please do keep in mind it's only bad from my perspective, it might be awesome from yours". We are glad to hear that you had a great time and that your good points are more than the downside. Thank you for mention how clean our bathrooms are and how good our food is and how nice our staff members are. Its always good to hear the travelers feedback. About the loud music yeah you are right we do play loud music until 11PM but then we keep quiet after that or as much as we can. Now about the sex part hahahaha Im really sorry but that is kind of funny. Once someone come to the desk to complain we do stop whatever inappropriate behave going on inside the bedroom but until then there is not much we can do, but we will keep our ears open for that.
Thank you once again and have a great trip
Bigfoot Family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Korean first
Leon
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The best hostel in Leon and Nicaragua.great rooms,food,people and parties.i was there for a week and I had the time of my life.ramiro and Juan are the best guys and will help you with every thing.יחס חם לישראלים!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Tamir124
Hi Tamir
Thank you sooooo much for this short but amazing review. Its so nice to read when people mention that Bigfoot is the best hostel ever. We are very proud of what we do and couldn't feel even more proud after your comment. We are so happy and glad you had a great time with us and thank you for mention our rock stars Ramiro and Juanzinho da Mandioca… They really work hard to provide every traveler the best experience ever.
Thank you one again Tamir, have a safe trip
Cayman Islands
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed for a long weekend. I was a bit nervous being a single female in my late thirties going to such a young party hostel. Shouldn't have been worried at all. I made friends instantly. The staff were fantastic - big thank you to Dave and Tom and the girl (forget her name) who liked the same music as me ;) Those guys made my trip awesome.

The hostel was beyond clean. Seriously couldn't really see how it could be cleaner. The dorms with fans get ultra hot. A/C rooms are divine. Beds are comfortable.

Food is fantastic and there are always specials on drinks. Take the shuttle to the sister hostel to the beach also, definitely worth it.

Now the volcano boarding. Cannot describe how much fun it is. People will argue that other companies go more than once but the hike up the volcano is enough to only want to do it once lol You get t-shirts, awesome free photos provided by Jérémie our guide, who was brilliant. He stopped enough times for all of us and was funny but provided all history of the volcano etc. There is two guys at the bottom of the volcano who check your speed and for the fastest speed winners they get a free night in the beach hostel (I got it with 75kpm…whoohoo it can be done!) Don't be scared!!).

After we finished we got beers and biscuits in the van and then we were kindly brought to a very local little party for a young girl who needed medication. It hadn't been arranged and we just turned up but the crowd were welcoming of us and mingled in dancing with us etc. Jérémie was the one who thought of this and was kind enough to arrange it. The girl was overwhelmed by us just turning up and offering to buy beers and foods, all in the name to help her.

Back to the hostel and a free mojito. It's all the things like this which make your stay worth it at this hostel and to do your boarding with this company.

Glad I did.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Hi Rebecca
Thank you so much for taking your time to write this awesome review. I have no words to explain how happy I feel when I see reviews like this one. It means a lot to me and the entire Bigfoot Family. It feels like we have accomplished our goal. In Bigfoot age, gender or race doesn't matter we are a family. We are happy to hear that Dave, Tom and the girl who likes the same must as you (lol) made your stay even more memorable. I have not much to say, you said it all. All I can do is thank you for your review and wish you the best on your trip.
Keep traveling and forget about age. Life is good but is better when you travel.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Thank you Bigfoot for the best experience ever!
These guys rock and will take care of you every step of the way. If you've never been out to volcano board, now is the time.
The staff is super friendly and all about everyone having fun --- and the boarding guide is AMAZING. I totally freaked out and got scared up there and he was super patient until i was ready to hit the slope. In the end, there is nothing to be scared of ---- this is a MUST do experience.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Penelope
Thank you for your review and for letting us know how awesome our guides are. Volcano Boarding can be a bit scary at the beginning but as you said there is nothing to be scared of.
Take care and have a safe trip
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Rooms are basic but clean. AC dorms fill up quickly.. the fan dorms can get hot. Amenities again are basic but clean. Great vibe though, lots of people keen to have a good time. Dont stay here if you want to chill out. The beach house is great for the day also. Volcano boarding is a MUST.

• Stayed June 2014
Hi Ashleigh
Thank you for your review and for mentioning how clean our place is and how we have a great vibe. I think you are able to chill out if you want to. We offer bedroom with private bathroom in a more private area of the hostel so those who are looking to a more relax place can also enjoy Bigfoot.
Thank you once again and have a safe trip
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Honestly it was beyond my expectations... I'm so glad for the trip, the ascent and specially the descent!! THANKS BIGFOOT. Also the whole explanation from Michael Bunt (our tour guide and photographer)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Carlos
Thank you for your awesome review. Its good to hear when we have reached the guest expectation but even more awesome, is to hear that we have reached beyond their expectation. Also thank you for mention our amazing guide Michael Bunt. He really is a great guide that can give everyone a great experience of Volcano Boarding and also a lot of knowledge.
Thank you once again and have a great trip
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 13 June 2014

From my experience, Bigfoot is fun and a good deal...but only for Australian/American/Canadian 20-somethings traveling in large groups who are perfectly okay with having a mediocre room with next to no amenities for a cheap price. I would NOT recommend their private rooms at all...no A/C option, no mosquito nets or screens on the windows, no MIRROR in the room, and no towels (not even the option to purchase them!). We booked a double bed private room and what we got was a bunk bed--the bottom bunk a full sized bed and the top bunk a twin. I wasn't impressed. Their food selection was good and reasonably priced but extremely limited--only pizza after 6pm? The most irritating thing was that we had to wear these bright orange arm bands to show we were staying at the hostel...so basically if you wanted to do anything outside of the hostel itself you were instantly branded as a tourist. If I could do it again, I would DEFINITELY still volcano board with Bigfoot, but I'd stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Shaun
Thank you for your review and for mention that this was your experience because I have to disagree with most of your comments starting with stereotyping our customer. I just responded to the last few reviews where everything was awesome including “I was a bit nervous being a single female in my late thirties going to such a young party hostel. Shouldn't have been worried at all”. So I do not agree with you that our customers are "Australian/American/Canadian 20-somethings traveling in large groups who are perfectly okay with having a mediocre room with next to no amenities for a cheap price". I believe Bigfoot provide the basic but the necessary amenities for the price people pay. About the rooms yeah it can be a bit hot but this is Leon and all the rooms including dorm and privates rooms have fans and we don't find necessary to have mosquito nets since there is no mosquito problems. The city gets fumigated every 4 months to avoid any mosquito problems. About our restaurant Im really sorry you thought our menu was limited but this is a hostel, so the restaurant is a plus, its not our focus and its a Cafe, we don't even call it restaurant. Now about the bracelet. Im sorry you didn't like to wear and felt instantly branded as a tourist but this is for your own security. With this bracelet you get discount in some restaurant or free entrance in some bars, this bracelet differ you from a not staying person in our hostel so that avoids us from asking you all the time if you are a guest or not. Plus if you get lost and you don't speak spanish you can just show your bracelet to a local person and they can guide you to our hostel.
Im really sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience in our hostel but happy you enjoyed our Volcano Boarding
Thank you once again and have a safe trip