“Great place with knowledgable and welcoming stuff! Working for a good cause!”
Review of Hostel Sonati Leon

Hostel Sonati Leon
Ranked #8 of 66 Speciality Lodging in Leon
Reviewed 8 February 2012

First of all, this is a non profit place. All of the income goes to educate local children!
The guides there are excellent and it׳s the only place in Leon where you can save money on the hike if you bring your own food.

• Stayed: January 2012

Reviewed 8 January 2012

We had a good time staying at Sonati. The rooms are very basic, and don't have hot water, but the atmosphere was very good, and the staff is really kind and helpful. It's good to know that profits go to a good local cause, so it is a non-profit hostel.
We had a twin room, with fan. It was very basic, but we weren't looking for more. And there were no bugs whatsoever.

I would recommend taking the tours of Sonati as well. We did the Telica trekking (tough but definitely worth it), and the volcano boarding on Cerro Negro. They have good prices and good guides.

Location of the hostel is good, you can easily walk to Big Foot or Via Via for lunch or dinner, and there are supermarkets nearby.
On their website they say they have a vegetarian cafe (which actually made us choose this hostel), but there was none when we were there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Though we didn't sleep at the hostal, the very very friendly staff of Sonati let us use their facilities as we were sleeping outside. We did get to hang out in the communal area and use their kitchen, and I must say it was a very nice place: cozy interior garden, matress on the floor, hammocks... it was a perfect place to have breakfast or enjoy the evening breeze.
Tour wise, we did the 2 days one night Telica trek, and it was just AMAZING. Not only the nature, the hike, the views, but our guide -probably the best guide i've had- knew loads about the area, the animals, the plants, cycles, socio-economic-environmental situation.
We didn't get to see just the volcano, but we learnt a lot!
I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zihomara
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I planned to stay here at the beginning of my trip for 4 nights. After arriving my first night I found everyone to be very standoffish and the room had an overwhelming odor of cleaning products. I was happy the room was clean, but it was a bit much. I was in one of the private rooms in the back. It seemed a bit dingy in general. The first night, my neighbors in the room next to me were very loud around 12:30am. When I asked a worker to please tell them to be quiet he pretty much said "it is what it is." Finally he asked them to quiet down and it was fine. It was annoying since they had already been making quite a bit of noise for some time. The next night I had found people to be friendlier and it was quieter. I thought the location was pretty good, only a few blocks away from the main square. In general I felt that the hotel was okay for the price and the atmosphere. Being there as a female traveler by myself I didn't feel completely secure and wanted something a bit closer to the center. I ended up changing hotels to something a bit nicer and closer to the center that only cost $11 more per night. Since I was only traveling for 10 nights total, I didn't mind the extra cost.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This hostel was a great find. The staff was very helpful, corteous and professional. The location was ideal, within walking distance from many of the main attractions/historicall sites to see in Leon. They also offered awesome tours at reasonable prices. One more added benefit to my stay there was to find out that my money would help fund local environmental activities.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I've volunteered in Sonati for three months (may 2011- august 2011) and it has been my best travel experience so far. The hostel is nice and comfy. As soon as you arrive there, you feel like you are home. You have got all the services you might need as a traveler (computer with skype, kitchen, book exchange, full laundry service for about 2$, etc.). The staff is very helpful (the hostel is really in the nice Nicaraguan mood): if you need something, they will try everything they can to help you get it. I had some health problems while I was there and they took care of me like a family does. Also, the paid staff is all from Leon (beside the responsible of the project, Nony from Israel), which is something I appreciate about hostels.

Sonati is not only a hostel, it is also a tour operator offering many options for all kind of budgets. Sonati is firstly a non-profit organisation offering kids of Leon the opportunity to learn about the environment (they can also take English classes in Sonati). The money you spend while staying there goes to pay those courses and activities children can enjoy for free.

Leon is an incredibly nice and cheap place to stay. It IS hot, but you get used to it... If you want to volunteer there, you don't have to go through a huge process: just walk in and ask! You will probably have the nicest volunteering experience ever!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 October 2011

$5 dorms, clean beds and bathrooms and a homey common area. Also has a big kitchen for cooking which is a huge plus.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends