“stay and support local communities!”
Review of Hostel Sonati Leon

Hostel Sonati Leon
Ranked #8 of 60 Speciality Lodging in Leon
Masaya, Masaya, Nicaragua
“stay and support local communities!”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

lovely people, kitchen for your use, free coffee, 5 mins from the centre. what more do you want? ah right, you want to support environmental education projects with the money you spend on hostel or one of the excellent trips. check!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Alexander M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Don't expect glamour at Sonati, but the basic rooms and awesome staff will make you feel like one of the family. Close to everything and safe, you will be glad to stay here. No hot water which is always a downer but the comraderie will warm your spirit. Clean and quiet, it's affordable and welcoming. I would definitely stay here again...in fact I extended my stay in Leon for three more days. Skip Granada (or reduce your days there) and spend more time in Leon! It has more to offer than Granada with great hospitality, awesome churches, fun restaurants, and plenty to see and do. Stop by La Perla Hotel for their $2 breakfast and stop by the municipal theatre for music and dance performances ($2-$4).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2012

First of all, this is a non profit place. All of the income goes to educate local children!
The guides there are excellent and it׳s the only place in Leon where you can save money on the hike if you bring your own food.

• Stayed January 2012
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We had a good time staying at Sonati. The rooms are very basic, and don't have hot water, but the atmosphere was very good, and the staff is really kind and helpful. It's good to know that profits go to a good local cause, so it is a non-profit hostel.
We had a twin room, with fan. It was very basic, but we weren't looking for more. And there were no bugs whatsoever.

I would recommend taking the tours of Sonati as well. We did the Telica trekking (tough but definitely worth it), and the volcano boarding on Cerro Negro. They have good prices and good guides.

Location of the hostel is good, you can easily walk to Big Foot or Via Via for lunch or dinner, and there are supermarkets nearby.
On their website they say they have a vegetarian cafe (which actually made us choose this hostel), but there was none when we were there.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Though we didn't sleep at the hostal, the very very friendly staff of Sonati let us use their facilities as we were sleeping outside. We did get to hang out in the communal area and use their kitchen, and I must say it was a very nice place: cozy interior garden, matress on the floor, hammocks... it was a perfect place to have breakfast or enjoy the evening breeze.
Tour wise, we did the 2 days one night Telica trek, and it was just AMAZING. Not only the nature, the hike, the views, but our guide -probably the best guide i've had- knew loads about the area, the animals, the plants, cycles, socio-economic-environmental situation.
We didn't get to see just the volcano, but we learnt a lot!
I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zihomara
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I planned to stay here at the beginning of my trip for 4 nights. After arriving my first night I found everyone to be very standoffish and the room had an overwhelming odor of cleaning products. I was happy the room was clean, but it was a bit much. I was in one of the private rooms in the back. It seemed a bit dingy in general. The first night, my neighbors in the room next to me were very loud around 12:30am. When I asked a worker to please tell them to be quiet he pretty much said "it is what it is." Finally he asked them to quiet down and it was fine. It was annoying since they had already been making quite a bit of noise for some time. The next night I had found people to be friendlier and it was quieter. I thought the location was pretty good, only a few blocks away from the main square. In general I felt that the hotel was okay for the price and the atmosphere. Being there as a female traveler by myself I didn't feel completely secure and wanted something a bit closer to the center. I ended up changing hotels to something a bit nicer and closer to the center that only cost $11 more per night. Since I was only traveling for 10 nights total, I didn't mind the extra cost.

• Stayed November 2011
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This hostel was a great find. The staff was very helpful, corteous and professional. The location was ideal, within walking distance from many of the main attractions/historicall sites to see in Leon. They also offered awesome tours at reasonable prices. One more added benefit to my stay there was to find out that my money would help fund local environmental activities.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo