“Beautiful Garden Setting”

Guesthouse El Nancite
Ranked #3 of 37 Leon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 March 2014

After one night in a B&B located out of town, we opted to come into Leon and stay at El Nancite for our last two nights in Leon - and I'm so glad we did! We had one of the upstairs room - extremely spacious, TV, fan , nice bathroom and a little seating area on the balcony. Wonderful staff who watch the front door day and night and had coffee for us in the morning. We did leave the windows open the first night and it was very noisy in the AM, so shut them the next night which was much better and not too hot having the fan. I was quite comfortable at El Nancite! And it's a quick walk in the morning to the wonderful French Bakery Pan y Paz for breakfast.

Room Tip: For an extra $10 or less, the upstairs room is worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 February 2014

After looking at several possibilities for a short stay of 8 nights, I ended up here. Best choice ever! Absolutely quiet, and when the staff thought they might have some younger guests who might be up late, I was led into one of the two rooms at the end of the garden which was absolutely peaceful. I didn't miss the a/c at all as the ceiling fan plus the room fan on wheels were more than enough to keep the room cool enough for sleeping. Lovely staff and owners who had fresh coffee ready every morning no matter how early I was on my way, and were there to let me in at night even if I managed to stay out rather late as I did on two occasions. Perfect location as easy walk to town centre but far enough away that no noise made it from the late night establishments. Right next to the medical centre although I didn't have to take advantage, thank goodness. I will definitely stay here again on a return trip.

Room Tip: Take one of the rooms at the back with the garden patio. The upper rooms overlooking the street migh...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We had selected this guesthouse in advance of our arrival in Leon based on the great reviews to-date and must say that we were disappointed by our experience.

With no other guests in the place, we were showed all the options. The property is indeed beautiful and tranquil so we were very excited for that. There are three suites and we opted for the largest one in the back (US$45) which was further away from the street and overlooked a beautiful garden. The room was spacious and grand, though the furniture minimal (two double beds in separate corners of the room). In the daytime, it looked like a perfect private room. At night, however, it was a different story. We returned to find the room had become The Entomological Museum (which actually is not that far away) - the corner of the wall by one of the beds was draped in spiderwebs with a full night's catch, there was an army of red ants crossing through the bathroom, mosquitoes buzzing about because there was a pane missing in the back window, and a squeaking noise which we thought was a gecko but turned out to be a bat. We really wished we had brought along a mosquito net since I awoke with about nine mosquito bites on my face, arms and legs. We took off the next morning to hit the beach to shake off the night and had a good chuckle in the end.

Despite our disappointment, the staff were lovely and cheerful and perhaps the room we chose hadn't been used in a while and with some maintenance and TLC, it would be the perfect room we were looking for.

(Note: other reviewers indicated breakfast was included, but this was not the case for us so be sure to ask upon your arrival).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pedalsandfeet
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I wanted to give this place a high rating, but the lack of a/c or even a fan in the room (aside from one WAAAY up on the vaulted ceiling), made our night absolutely miserable. It was stifling hot in the room and stuffy, and we didnt open the doors or windows due to the day before NYE noise and firecrackers. There was tons of little insect noises, which turned out to be geckos, which was a bit rough to sleep through but expected, but the mosquitoes were pretty rampant that night, too, again, another reason we couldn't open the windows/doors, and there was no way to hang our mosie nets we brought. The room was huge and very spacious with 2 double beds and a couple couches and tables, and beauitul french doors and the grounds were beautiful. We were just so hot. :(

Room Tip: I don't know about the other rooms, but we stayed on the second floor in a HUGE room with 2 doub...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My boyfriend and I backpacked through Nicaragua for a month july-august. We stayed in Leon for 3 nights. After the first night in another hostel that was very old and run down, the next morning we set out to find a better place to stay. We ended up finding the best hospitality we have experienced in Nicaragua. The owner not only makes the best smoothies fresh from his garden, there is an option to have the best breakfast ready at certain times, served with fresh fruit and juice. The menu is sort of a surprise depending on whats fresh that day which we enjoyed very much, but if you have any special requests I am sure it can be done as well. The owner will make you feel at home and strike up a conversation of any topic. Besides all his awesome life stories, he also has great recommendations on what to do in the city or even other cities in Nicaragua. The staff was great as well! Every single person from the guesthouse was extremely friendly, and helpful. Besides the wonderful service, the decor is super cute as well! It was simple with just enough interest in the decor. There is something interesting at every part of the guesthouse. Walking through the halls you can even smell the fragrance from the various fruits from the garden. We were traveling for the adventure and not for the hospitality, but this place was such a pleasant surprise. The ONLY complaint that I can possibly think of was that our room did not have very good reception for wifi, but we didn't mind hanging out in the common area where wifi connection was great! After two nights at El Nancite, we felt like our spirits were lifted. I cannot recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I've been traveling around southwestern Nicaragua for about 3 weeks now. I've stayed in 7 different places and looked at dozens more during my stay. I only found out about Guesthouse El Nancito because a local told me about it. Seems its not well-known since it isn't listed in Lonely Planet. So I didn't have high expectations when I walked in the door. But MAN, I was so unprepared for what I found! This place is GORGEOUS! The golds and yellows and reds combined with the wrought-iron and the most exquisite gardens and you've got a golden ticket with this one.

It's low season so I've managed to score a second floor room with a balcony and I feel a bit like i won the jackpot. The room is only $30 a night! In the States I would have to pay $300 for a room like this. It looks out over the gardens and has the most tranquil feel. Amazing. The room has a a double bed and a single bed as well as a little kitchen table, a TV area and a cupboard for my clothes. The bathroom is huge and modern and boasts hot water!!!! Yes I said it! A hot water shower in Nicaragua! Unheard of. And not only is it hot water, the showerhead actually SPRAYS not just drips. It's a little taste of the States for sure.

Air conditioning is also available. It does add on to the room cost because electricity is expensive in Nicaragua. But it is available if you are willing to pay a little more.

So this morning I woke up and went to get a cup of free coffee and found that the owner, who is an expat from NY, will make you breakfast. So not only did he build this hotel himself, he makes you breakfast?! I enjoyed fluffy scrambled eggs with fresh watermelon and fresh-squeezed pineapple juice. All I can say is that if you choose anyplace else, it must be because you didn't know about El Nancito.

Room Tip: I love the suite upstairs with the balcony but they also have rooms with a loft if you have kids. Ki...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

The owner built this uniquely charming hotel with his own two hands, and he'll cook you a delicious breakfast with those same two hands. Fairly priced, clean, absolutely beautiful! Free WIFI too. Selected by Trip Advisor as one of the top hotels in Leon in 2013.

• Stayed: July 2013