“My family away from home...:)”

Posada Fuente Castalia
Ranked #3 of 37 Leon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I stayed Posada Fuente Castalia with my sister for 2 nights in June. We were wowed by this guesthouse for a couple of reasons:

1) Family: The owners were extremely friendly and made sure that we had whatever we needed. They showed us how to get around town, the cheapest way to get to the beach, and dropped us off at the bus station during torrential rain when we couldnt get a taxi!

2) Inexpensive, clean, room: My sister is still amazed at the amount of value we got for our money. We are the type of people with Four Seasons desires and hostel realities. Although we are young, we had no desire to stay at a hostel. This was a beautiful, relaxing space for the same price we would have paid at crappier places (trust me, we compared with friends). We had a double and the size wasn't a problem.

We loved this place and recommend it to anyone coming to Leon! Thanks for everything!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 January 2013

"Cozy" describes this for a couple of reasons. The rooms are quite small; in my single, I had to keep my suitcase closed up in order to have some floor space. But it's also cozy because of the feeling of being cared for. "Staff" (family members) pay attention to needs and preferences. There are great seating areas, such as an elevated deck under the moon and stars in the middle of a courtyard, where the WiFi works! Family members - old friends, children and grandchildren - are all around, so one feels "part of" something. Loved the community. Oh - cold showers. Once you get used to it, it's like jumping into a cool pool.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Laurie N
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My husband and I live on Ometepe island in Nicaragua and we had never visited Leon. So, I cruised Trip Advisor to find the perfect place for us to stay. We were thrilled to find Posada Fuente Castalia. Maria Teresa was charming and very helpful. Every time I had a question about what to see in Leon, she and her staff would drop what they were doing and help me. They even drew us maps so we could find our way around Leon. Wonderful people! Our room was spotless, and the bed was so comfortable. It was nice to have air-conditioning after a long day exploring Leon. It felt just like home! We are looking forward to our next visit and we will definitely return to Posada Fuente Castalia.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2012

goods:
- very very clean
- staff and owner welcoming and helpful
- nice building

bads:
- too many and too small rooms
- rooms are all facing the small internal court, so it may be noisy
- town center is not far but not close
- owner lives here (it's her house) and this may be an advantage but also bothering you

Price was 40 dollars (no aircon, with aircon is 50), no hot water, good beds and pillows, some air condition fan are noisy and are close to the windows of the rooms, breakfast is included, credit card accepted with additional fee, upper floor very very hot, not much light in the rooms, no mosquito nets (but there are no mosquitoes or very few in Leon).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Massimo R
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have been fortunate to stay at the Posada twice now, and each time my experience has been unforgettable. I have traveled quite a bit, and can honestly say that the Posada is the absolute best place I have stayed. María Teresa and all members of her family are exceptional hosts, and make one feel as though they are a part of the family. It is an extremely safe, clean, and relaxing place to stay in León. A true hidden jewel. I would not consider staying in any other place while visiting León, and I hope to return to the warmth of the Posada soon. It is a beautiful and comfortable location. María Teresa is one of the most caring, helpful, and nurturing people that I have ever met. My most recent trip to Nicaragua was absolutely perfect due to my stay at la Posada Fuente Castalia.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Colleen B
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Owner is a doll helping us with any questions we had and making us feel at home. Spacious 170 yr old preserved hacienda centered by lush tropical courtyard. Peaceful indoor /outdoor living, fountain, hammocks, rocking chairs, and welcoming decor spread throughout. Breakfast is excellent with strong coffee. All just 4 blocks from the largest most fascinating cathedral in Central America. Owner made us feel like family and if you want cleaner than clean this is it.

Charlene Brown

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank HelpVacation911
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My husband and I had such a WONDERFUL and memorable experience at this charming hotel! Posada Fuente Castalia is like home away from home. It is centrally located yet in a quiet, safe neighborhood. Our hostess Maria Theresa and her husband Pedro treated us like family during our 3 day stay in Leon. The room charge includes an amazing breakfast consisting of hot coffee, bread basket, fruit plate and traditional Nicaraguan plate with rice, beans, eggs with tomatoes and herbs. Wow!!!! Our room is very clean, beautifully decorated, our bathroom spotless. This is such a great value for $35/night!!!! Our host Pedro picked us up from the airport, took us to Poneloya Beach, and to Granada for reasonable rates as well. They have laundry service that cost a few cents literally. They recommended a travel guide who took us to Cerro Negro, which worked out beautifully. Also, if one is interested, they could arrange for dance lessons or even Spanish language lessons right in the hotel! But what stood out the most was their warmth and hospitality that I have not found in any Hilton or Holiday Inn hotel anywhere in my travels. We were sad to leave this beautiful place, but know that will definitely be back in Leon and will choose this place over any hotel in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple