“Nicaraguan pizza - cheap and tasty!”
Review of Barbaro - CLOSED

Barbaro
Cuisines: Mediterranean, American, South American, Central American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Phone 505 2315 2901
Columbus, OH
“Nicaraguan pizza - cheap and tasty!”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We enjoyed pizza here for dinner one night. The crust was a perfect hand-tossed crust, nice and chewy interior with a crackle to the exterior. The tomato sauce was very good too - not too sweet. Ordinarily we eat the local cuisine, but wanted a change of pace (and pizza is the international cuisine!). With a couple of Victorias during the world series, our dinner felt like an authentic experience. Note on the atmosphere - it's fabulous. If a US restaurant could copy the look and feel of the place exactly, it would be a gold mine. From the large open, shuttered windows to the huge hearth and wood bar, this place has a great ambiance. Mostly locals the night we were there.

• Visited October 2013

San Pedro Sula, Honduras
“Want to go again”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I liked the place, the atmosphere and the steak that I order was excellent, I'm looking forward in eating there again. The only thing that I didn't like was that I spent more then $50 (it was four of us) and they didn't want to accept a $100 bill, which bother a bit.

• Visited November 2013
“Expansive good quality variety and great service!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I dropped by Barbaro today because I didn't realize Cocinarte (my original destination) was closed Tuesdays. Lonely Planet said it offered an expansive menu and I was craving some variety.

The restaurant is located on a corner close to the main square. It has at least 25 tables, therefore a wait likely rarely occurs. The menu has many options, including appetizers, chicken wings, beef, chicken, and fish options, salads, and vegetarian options including falafel, vege kabobs, hummus, etc. There was also a variety of local dishes.

I ordered the chicken salad with bread (c150) and a coke (c25). The chicken salad came relatively promptly at was very large - exactly what I wanted. It was a base of lettuce with tomatoes, orange peppers, onions, watermelon, pineapple, and sweet chili-sauced chicken. It came with a side of a honey mustard dressing and 4 slices of baguette. Delicious!

Service was prompt and attentive (although there were few other customers).

Overall I would definitely go back to try out a multitude of other items on the menu!

• Visited October 2013
VA
“Lackluster waiter”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

So its in a good location near the main plaza and cathedral- It was hot and lunchtime and they had some fans so it was reasonably comfortable- I order a Tona beer and the mediteranean fish- a fish with tomato sauce on it- it' s pretty good- I have trouble ordering whatever side I have to chose from- the waiter understands and speaks no English- ok its his country- I end up with french fries- he's sullen though and slow moving- when I am ready to leave I sign check by miming writing on my hand- he does not bring me the check but another Tona- so I have to try to explain to him no Tona - the check please- he's lackluster and slightly resistant- overall it was ok- I liked the fish- but he brings me no catsup for the fries so I have to ask him and he brings me a salad with no dressing and I have to ask for oil and vinegar- a little on the side of poor service

• Visited July 2013
Los Angeles, California
“One Of The WORST Places I Have Been In My Life”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I have been here on a few occasions, but I will tell you about my last two experiences. First, I came here with my wife and a few of her colleagues. We came to get some beers and chat. The beers were beers as usual but as we started to get a little hungry, we decided to order a few orders of french fries. We asked the waiter for 3 but only received 2. When we told him, he acted as if we were lying...but that was ok, 2 were sufficient. As we started eating the fries that were room temperature, a cockroach crawled out from under one of the plates! I was completely disgusted as was everyone else. We told the waiter and again, there was a ¨no way¨ attitude, but all 5 of us saw it. As I look towards the kitchen, I notice that the bathroom is directly next to the kitchen with nothing to conceal it. Needless to say, I never ate here again.

Another time, I came here with my wife and sat down and ordered 2 Coronas. We were sitting no more than 2 tables from the bar. 25 minutes later we received our beers, true story!

Finally I came here a few weeks later with 2 of my friends. We ordered a few beers and our total was 190 cords. I am in the area quite often so I told the bartender that I only had 200 and would give him a 10 cord tip and come by tomorrow or the next day and give him a bit more. I did this out of respect and even walked up to the bar to tell him and explain this to him. I go to sit back down, and continued talking with my friends and finish up our beers to head out and the bartender cashed out the 10 cord in paper money I gave him into coins and threw 10 cords in change across the bar and sitting area at me and the table with my friends. I could not beleive this. I gave him a look and my friends were like why the heck did he do that? At this point, all of the staff came up to us as if we did something wrong and told us we had to leave like they were going to fight us. We only had 3 beers each, so it wasn´t as if we were intoxicated or anything.

These people don´t care about their customers. The only reason this place survives is because it is in ¨Zona Rosa¨ or the more lively area of the city and people like to show up as if it´s the best place in town. I will be the first to tell you as it pertains to service, quality of food, cleanliness, and price....everything else is smoke and mirrors. Leon is filled with dozens of places where they actually value your hard earned money and for a much better price and respect their clients. If you like a completely rude staff with little service and unsanitary food at a higher price than most places in the city....well then Barbaro is the place for you.

• Visited October 2012