“Great value, good food”

Quetzaltrekkers - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 26 Outdoor Activities in Leon
More attraction details
Owner description: Quetzaltrekkers is a non-profit volunteer organization, offering tourists adventurous hikes to raise money for organizations helping streetkids and children at risk in Leon, Nicaragua and Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala.
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We trekked telica volcano on a two day tour, be prepared it is quite the hike but well worth it. We had two guides, one for the at the front to lead the way and one at the back to help the stragglers, we were supplied with all food and water. They also supply snacks for the various intervals on the way up. It's not overly rushed which suits most people. Do it.!!!!

1  Thank 9Kanu

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Our trip up Cerro Negro with Quetzaltrekkers was a highlight of our time in Nicaragua. Our guide and all the people at the office couldn't have been nicer. At $30 per person it was a terrific value with transportation, lunch, and a t-shirt, plus the volcano boarding. The scenery is out of this world, so beautiful. Really the sliding down on the board was our least favorite part, you get so dirty, you think you might never get the grit out of your hair, but the hike up and the view from the top are not to be missed and this is a really terrific company to do business with. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

All the profits goes to charity, why would you ever chose anyone else?

Their prices are competitive, their food is good, their gear is good,
and the guides are awesome.

We did Vulcanoboarding and Telica Overnight, and can recommend both!

1  Thank Eirik R
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I had an good time participating in the Telica Twilight Tour. It was a nice hike and a good group. I also strongly believe in what they are doing as a company. My concern was with individual security. Because it is a late night trip, I asked about being dropped off by the shuttle back at my hostel. The trip guide wouldn't accommodate me and told me it was safe to walk late at night alone in Leon. I didn't feel safe, so I asked the driver to give me a ride after he dropped everyone off. He was accommodating, unfortunately he didn't understand the map I had, so we got lost. We both ended up wandering around within blocks of my hostel asking people where it was. At one point a local gentleman scolded me for walking alone late at night in that area of town. I was disappointed in Quetzal's lack of regard for a young girl's safety late at night.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I went on a day tour to do the volcano boarding at Cerro Negro. Here are the reasons why you should go with Quetzaltrekkers and not with Big Foot Hostel:

1. Cheaper. Their price includes the $6 entrance fee, the other guys do not.
2. Great lunch, snack, and loads of water. The other guys only give you a few drinks.
3. Your money goes directly towards a worthy cause: helping underprivileged kids in Nicaragua. Essentially you are giving to charity but having a blast at the same time.
4. A more original and waaaay cooler t-shirt than the other bunch. In a choice of maybe ten colours.
5. Excellent, enthusiastic and cool guides.
6. Maximum group size is perhaps 10 people, as opposed to up to 40.

I was really impressed by the company, and they have lots more to do than just the volcano boarding. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

1  Thank Polecat070