“Like being at home”
Review of Latina Hostal

Latina Hostal
Ranked #6 of 66 Speciality Lodging in Leon
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Latina hostel offers simple rooms with comfy mattresses, 24hr security and check ins, a shady court yard, a communal kitchen, a bar and Paul.

Paul is the front man of the hostel and helped us in anyway he could. He organises daily activities for the hostel including daily shuttles to the beach or volcano boarding depending on demand. He also took time out of his day to show us around Leon, visit the art gallery, to bars, find us hair dressers, watch the cock fights, live music, find the best food plus so much more and just generally made us feel at home in his city. It was like having an old friend to show you around. This is something not many hostels offer and is a big bonus.

With Big Mumma Nina constantly cleaning and tidying, it will feel like having your mum around as she also does allllll your laundry for $4 and leaves it on your bed. So although it's simple, it's definitely clean and very well taken care of.

A small yet yummy breaky is offered and the hostel is only a couple of blocks from the main square. The size of the hostel allows for the best experience as you're not just another number like at a large hostel, you're at a small place that makes you feel at home. If I didn't stay at Latina I don't think I would have fallen in love with Leon.

• Stayed: January 2014
roger_zambrana, Owner at Latina Hostal, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Hola Eli,
Thank you very much to take the time to write this wonderful words for our hostel team.
As you mentioned Paul, Nena and all members of Latina, have a especial commitment with every single guest in Latina to make them feel welcome home away from home, and get the most and the best of Leon, so you can have a memorable and unforgettable time with us.
In deep, all of us: THANK YOU for choosing us, Latina is proud to have a new friend on board from Australia!
Come back any time...

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Good, quiet hostel, with free breakfast in the morning. The beds aren't great but there are personal fans which is awesome. The guy who manages the place, Paul, can be a bit much. I would advise doing your laundry elsewhere as they lost articles of mine.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
roger_zambrana, General Manager at Latina Hostal, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thanks for your review,
We undertand one piece was a lost, but we apology for that, it is no casual that something get lost during laundry or any other circumstance, however we are improving our process to have the best hostel in town.
this is why, we are having new beds for almost all the hostel, with better quality, great sleeping for travelers who want to rest before go on.
Thanks for choosing Latina Hostel, it was a pleasure to have on board.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

As soon as I walked into this Hostel, Paul made me and my two traveling friends feel like family. The staff was very helpful, and the facilities were all I needed to get a good nights rest and socialization with all the other travelers. The tours were well organized, and they did everything that they could to make sure that we were happy, let's just say that the staff (especially Paul) went above and beyond! I would definitely recommend this place, and I will be back =)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2014

arrived in leon very late at night and the staff went out of their way to accommodate me (as did the strangers with whom i shared a room). the dorm beds are pretty lousy, but the personal fans are nice. after almost three weeks (off and on) of being there, i made the mistake of trusting paul, the bartender/tour-leader, and lending him money -- yadda yadda yadda he owes me $60 and has been completely uncommunicative. it's unfortunate that the hostel's image rests with this man, who's good for a made-up story (he does that a lot) and a mojito, but is too sleazy to feel comfortable leaving my things unlocked in the room.

Room Tip: split a private over the dorms
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank mmlierre

I'm deep concern about your review. As the owner, I take care of every single aspect in or out Latina, as we do take care of every guest in Latina Hostel with pleasure. we all are high value staff in my hostel, including Paul. However, In december no one report any lost money. we had never had any situacion like this, since we opened. but, why you do not report to me this situacion? Why you did not report to the police?nor to the hostel manager ? it is my responsibility to answer all request of my guest at the moment. Im deep, Looking in the check-in books we do not find any report that you actully did check in my hostel.? I apriciate you sent me your complete name and invoice number to my email: roger_zambrana@hotmail.com. we are following the process to solve the problem by the correct and true way.
thanks for your feed back

Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

We were really satisfied with our 3 night stay at Latina Hostal. Our room right next to the reception had a homey feel to it and two fans. It was clean as were the shared bathrooms. The best part about their property is the garden with hammocks and avocado trees where you can chill and one day when we were doing just that one big avocado fell from the tree for us to eat, perfect. :) There's also a bar and kitchen where you can cook and they serve breakfast pancakes from. And did I mention the staff who all were super nice, especially Paul with his crazy stories and the night watch guy who went out on the streets at 6AM to catch us a cab without asking. :) btw. even with the bar you can catch a good nights sleep here because they shut it down early

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Got there on the second day of the trip got there and felt right at home! Grate hostel nice bar good breakfast! And Paul !! Paul is a grate guy! Took us out on the volcano boarding witch is a must do !! Paul took us out to the bars and showed us around the city! All and all amazing hostel would go back in a heart beet !!

Room Tip: The rooms have fans for each beds
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I'm a mid-20s solo traveler who enjoys having fun going out, but equally values having a tranquil place to come back to for sleeping. Latina Hostal fit the bill perfectly -- the staff members, particularly Paul, were genuinely interested in spending time with guests who wanted to socialize and explore León's nightlife. Of paramount importance to me, I could come back after a long night out and get a full night's rest in quiet, comfortable accommodations.

Latina Hostal is tastefully decorated and equipped with lots of cozy hammocks and a nice bar, making it a great place to hang out during the day. Overall, it's a great place to spend time and call home base for exploring the wonderful city of León. Highly recommended!

Extra bonuses:
-Very reasonably priced at $6/night for the dorm
-Delicious pancakes and bananas are included for breakfast
-Wifi is included and is pretty fast
-There's a guard 24/7 to keep everything safe. (The night guard is Alejandro and he's a great guy to shoot the breeze with.)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo