“Great Affordable Hostel”
Review of Colibri Hostal

Colibri Hostal
Ranked #11 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Leon
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The Colibri is definitely a favorite of mine in Nicaragua. It's a nice relaxing/peaceful hostel that is extremely clean and comfortable. They have an amazing staff that is very helpful, delicious free breakfast, and fast/reliable wi-fi. Colibri has nice, large rooms with very comfortable beds (even in the dorm) and a large clean kitchen available for cooking your own meals. And the best part, it's VERY affordable. Our whole group was very satisfied with our stay at the Colibri. I will definitely stay there my next time in Leon for the entire stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I hadn't expected much from this hostel as I really didn't study up on one before I made my way through town. It turns out that I would have a very memorable stay at Colibri as well as stay for a few more days than expected. The prices were good and the staff was helpful for pointing out points of interest in Leon as well as advice for trekking to other locations. The hostel had a great diverse group of individuals staying there and really helped make the experience even better. For the rooms, they were clean and every bit as nice as more expensive places I stayed. The kitchen and bathrooms were slightly above par for hostels which was nice. I would recommend this place for the traveler looking to network and share great adventures and laughs but still likes to get some sleep.

Room Tip: If you are traveling in a three person group you can get the best deal per person on a private room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2013

After a long few days traveling my stay at Colibri was a very welcome change of pace. From the moment I entered the hostel I was looked after and made to feel very welcome by all the staff. It has a real nice chill out spot out the back with a few hammocks in the shade and some decent WiFi to catch up with everything going on. Clean rooms with fans to keep cool during the night followed by a tasty breakfast included with my nights stay. Would recommend to anyone! Great hostel and hosts.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I've spent a lot of time in Leon and stayed at several hostels but this is my new go-to spot. Definitely a relaxing place, not party a hostel. It was clean, had a great staff and the included breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Pros: nice little hostel, basic but nice rooms with fans, good big brekkies, good wifi, good location, good beds, cool little chill out areas with hammocks, water refills available for cheap.

Cons: I hated the lady working there. The night time staff were nice and very helpful, but interacting w who I assume to be the owner each morning was horrible. Morning one she challenged us as to why we would get breakast when were paying so little for a room due to a mistake made when checking in. she was soooo rude to us and pretty much said it was our fault and we dont get breakfast etc etc. In the end we got the brekkie promised to us but she was never nice to us again and we had to pay $5 extra each day. We saw her be beyond rude to other travellers as well. Not a pleasant woman.
Also no hot water or aircon (but was fine).

Room Tip: Fork out a tiny bit more for one of the rooms down the back- a lot cooler, with windows.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night in the private room with shared bathrooms. The room was clean and big enough for all our bags etc, the bathrooms were really clean and well ventilated unlike a few other places we've stayed. The staff are so friendly, really helpful with places to go around nicaragua. PRO: free wifi, free breakfast and unlimited coffee CON: not really even a con but there's no A/C if that's a must for you but wasn't an issue for us because they have fans in the rooms. Definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 11 August 2013

A very pleasant option to stay in Leon with a lovely garden, hammocks and a big kitchen we used at times and found all facilities quite easy to find, probably some people were masterfully deficient at finding things and had to have everything labeled after complaining. The breakfast was always there, and served to us with a smile. The staff was curteous and helpful, whether in English or spanish, and since we are in a Spanish speaking country, we've tried out our humble spanish skills and had a kind smile and an answer. Our room was spacious and very clean.
If I ever get back to Leon, I'd definitely stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple