Hotel Los Balcones De Leon
US$68
US$61
US$51
  • Pool
Hostal Casa Ivana(Leon)(Great Value!)
US$16
US$13
US$161
US$89
US$60
US$162
US$152
All reviewsnoisy streetbasic hotelfew blocksbalconycathedralnicaraguafans
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Sadly one of the worst hotels on my recent visit to the region. The communal areas are great, well maintained, clean and the staff try their best although they dont always achieve. The rooms are dirty, unkempt, smell must and are very dingy with very poor sub standard lighting. Even with the a/c on full blast the room never cooled below 30 degrees. Had to leave outside doors and interior door open when in room to try to get room to a cool enough temperature to be bearable. Photos attached dont reflect the majority of room my group taye din (maybe reserved for higher payment?) Food is average and overpriced for what it is. The internet is down more than running and dont touch the water from the taps unless you have plenty of medication (probably ageing pipes!). Sad as it has potential and is quite well located.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank SurreyGirl27
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Los Balcones in Leon oozes charm. A gorgeous hotel right in town close to everything. Rooms are clean, cool and a good size. The staff go out of their way to help you out and are all very sweet! The food in the restaurant is tasty and cheap so if you can't be bothered going out, here is a good choice. We had an incident where my friends phone was stolen from out of the street and the owner went out of his way to help us out! Thanks Don Carlos. Everything you need, centrally located and a beautiful hotel!

Room Tip: Room 14 was great!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed in August for 2 nights and was very disppointed. The facade is appealing and the location is good. Once behind the scenes the true picture is less than appealling. I had a ground floor single room, very small, very smelly and very dirty. Bathroom and lighting in a state of disrepair. The bathroom was disgusting and I could not bear being in the room as it was so depressing. The teenager staff did not appear to know much and had no command of English despite assurances that staff spoke some English. They also spent a lot of time flirting, ticking and kissing each other in the reception area which abruptly came to a halt when a guest appeared on the scene. One staff member used the pc for guests in the reception area to surf dancing sites on the internet and did not appear to understand that guests wanted to check their emails on it. Very noisy from 5am onwards caused by giggling and shouting staff changing shifts and the TV in the reception area put on at full volume. There was also drilling noises as there seem to be some repair work going on. Don't expect to get much comfort or sleep here or an acceptable level of service. Value for money - nil.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Artemis29
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I was in Leon and had booked a room at another place. When I got there I was so disappointed in the accommodations I asked around for recommendations and was told about Balcones. I am so happy I went there. The room was clean, the AC was cold, the shower was warm and the staff was very friendly. When I read some of the other reviews I had to laugh. It seems like some people are expecting the Waldorf Astoria. You are in Central America!!! This place is great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2013

For the price and judging by the facade I expected good service and a modicum of luxury; neither of which I got. It's a pretty building with a nice view and a convenient location but so it should be at these prices. We left after one night because we couldn't see what we were forking out for and went to stay at the fabulous hostel Tortugo Booluda. The staff were pleasant enough but didn't seem to know their own town and couldn't offer the most basic directions. Breakfast was also a major let down. There were a handful of options. I ordered pancakes which were apparently unavailable and my partner ordered eggs "your way" which seemed to be scrambled, scrambled or scrambled and came with ham (this was not on the menu and he is a vegetarian!) In the end we each had a small pile of rice and beans and two slices of plastic bread. The room was cute and the eponymous balconies were cuter but the shower was not hot and little more than a dribble. Not good enough for the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple