“Colonial Delight”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Leon
Stockbridge, Georgia
“Colonial Delight”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed in the Presidential Suite and I felt like royalty. The service, and the friendly staff were matched by the luxurious surroundings and the great food. Our first day we chatted with locals who made us feel welcome and suggested local venues. Our bedroom was so spacious and comfy we didn't want to leave! Leon is lively and even breakfast feels festive in this wonderful, commodious, elegant hotel.

Room Tip: The Presidential Suite has a private balcony!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
lou1944, Owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
We appreciate all reviews; this was special as the trip advisor member has submitted many reviews....We have learned from all...as an example we are expanding the hotel with eight additional rooms; and thanks to trip advisor members; we made several in-room changes

1. Black-out curtains
2. Three rooms , each with private balcony
3. Better lights for reading in bed
4. Large screen TV's
5. More outlets for computers
and more...so to all trip advisor members...I know all of us that operate family owned small businesses appreciate your constructive reviews. Thanks for taking the time.
Jim
Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Wow we just got back from 2 weeks in Nicaragua-we are in love! I read the previous review and can,t believe he stayed in the same place. We loved Le Perla and wouldn't stay anywhere else in Leon! The service was nothing but excellent. Whatever- some people just can,t be pleased. All the great things about this hotel have been said and I agree. My only complaint would be that our room had no full length mirror and no windows so it was very dark- good for sleeping but not getting dressed. It's a heritage property/restored mansion and I understand that adding windows to some of the rooms would be impossible, it is what it is. We found all staff including Jim very helpful & friendly. Also, we ate in the dining room one night and I had the best steak I've had in recent memory Bravo!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
lou1944, Owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Thank you for your kind comments..We hope you enjoyed your entire visit in this very special country. With wonderful Churches, vistas, two oceans, great history and the citizens are very special...a cultural based on Faith and Family.
Jim
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 May 2011

As i said the facility is stunning so if you check in with no expectations about service you will love it! As i arrived at the hotel with my guide who was warmly greeted i was completely ignored. After checking in i went down to see about checking my email the clerk (Michael as he told me)or( Miguel as i heard him called by other staff) i was told to come back in an hour or so as an employee was using the guest computer at the time. I also asked about the concierge to which the clerk informed me they do not have one. (all the time the clerk was more interested in the computer screen then talking to me. At which time i gave up. At breakfast the next morning when i asked what was available i was told omelet, pancakes, and typical breakfast. at which time i had to play 20 questions such as may i have fried eggs?yes. may i have fruit?yes.what Kind? I dont know. may i have yogurt?yes. With Granola?yes. Ok what kind of bread may i have? White bread. Do you have whole wheat? no like i said White bread. Do you have tortillas ? yes. during this whole conversation was there a smile or any sort of interest what so ever. i asked for water which i finished before i got my food and it was never refilled. I only received coffee and a dirty look when i waved my cup in the air to get the waiter attention. I did notice that the table got up and got their own refills so i did not have to wait the next time. Later that night i went to the casino owned by the same family and was amazed at the amount of staff and service offered it was like night and day. I guess we know where they make their money! I will say that their was one staff member at the hotel that smiled and was helpful, before i tipped him i believe his name was Noel, very nice! the rest of my stay i saw no staff members smile or go above and beyond to do anything nice or helpful. As i talked with other guests it seemed to be the same for all of us. I even tried to take a picture of the young heavy set bartender or waiter completely laying across the counter or front desk reading the newspaper but he moved just in time which got a big laugh from several other employees in the area. To finish it was a complete waste of such a beautiful facility to lack the basic service, i stayed in several cheaper hotels and the facilities where no where close but the service made up completely with the warm genuine smiles, and offers of sincerity and caring service!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank bonniebuffett
lou1944, Owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
I always try to learn from our clients..I have found that tripadvisor members generaly provide a balanced review; and most interact with the hotel management and try to correct any issues; therefore making their hotel visit more enjoyable. None of the hotel management were aware of these issue with this client. Here is the action we have taken as a result of this review:

1. Review service policy with all waiters and receptionists.
2. Be sure we have additional waiters when we have more then 60% occupancy in the morning
3. We povided written discipline warnings to those cited in the review.
4. Schedule a member of management at 7AM to be in breakfast area

I read the other reviews that the reviewer provided ; and he seemed balanced in his reviews; Specific issues:

1. He had a guide; for his information.."Michael "in Spanish is Miguel , most of our staff also speak English (but not all, as we also promote from within and give great workers an opportunity). We employ over 100 in Leon; and have weekly training meetings, full-time human resouse manager & the General Manager and human resourse managers office in in the middle of the hotel, next to our beautiful garden. This was planned as they are "in-front" of the customer so they can interact with clients and observe the service. I do not have an office as I prefer to be in the hotel talking to customers. I was in the USA for 2 weeks, perhaps this occurred when I was not present.

2. Many of our repeat customers like to pour their own coffee (this is why we have coffee available in our reception area starting at 5AM)...We have scheduled staff to serve breakfast at 4AM upon request...service is very important to us.

3. We reviewed the previous weeks DVD sercutity system and we did not find anyone "laying" on the reception desk...We do not have any "fat" members of our staff..(excluding ME...)

4. Tripadvisor provides 8 areas to be rated..clearly this reviewer believed he received poor service, then choose to give the overall hotel rating of only a "one" based on this important element., instead of considering all eight areas to review.

5. Frankly, we are at somewhat of a loss as no one I talked to knew of these issues and we (and I believe most family operated hotels) strongly encourage all guest and tripadvisor members to request to talk to the owner/manager WHEN they have an issue and allow the owner to correct problems and improve the service.). OUR objective is great service..Thank You
Jim Petersen
Owner

5. I
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I found this Hotel using Trip Advisor and I am glad I did. Hotels in Leon are hard to find on line. The Hotel is in a great location and the air conditioning in the rooms delightful as Leon is very hot. The staff were great and since the dining and bar areas were not air conditioned they always turned the fans on if you were using these areas. the food was excellent.

I booked via email for myself and a married couple I was travelling with. After checking into my room I discovered that my friends were in a far larger room upstairs that was indeed grander than the room i was in. (I would recommend you splurge and go for these gorgeous rooms.) When I asked why this had happened the person at the desk explained that one of the standard rooms we were booked into was undergoing maintenance. i asked how the determined who was going to get the upgrade and pointed out it was actually me that made the reservations. As with most Hotels the decision was based on the fact that the other two were a couple. I do find a lot of hotels discriminate against solo travelers by giving them the lower class rooms. To this Hotels credit when i pointed this out they also upgraded me immediately for no extra cost. And those rooms are great.
I highly recommend this place and thank the owner James for all his assistance with our travel plans.

Room Tip: Ask for the upstairs rooms.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We spent 4 nights there during "Semana Santa", or Holy Week. We loved the beautifully renovated hotel, the staff was all nice, and having the swimming pool was fantastic, as Leon is VERY hot. (The pool could have been a touch cleaner though.)

The rooms with just one bed in them are all really great. However, since we were traveling 2 adults and 2 kids, we had to take a room with 2 double beds, and unfortunately, all of those rooms are windowless! This was excruciating when the electricity went out one night, as the hotel does not have a back up generator, so we were in a hot, windowless room without a/c or even a fan for a few hours, until the a/c came back on. It doesn't seem like the power must go off that often in Nicaragua.
The double rooms are also a bit on the small side for having two beds in them.

However, for the price - $111/night including taxes and breakfast, we thought it was a good value, and would certainly stay here again. The other fancy, renovated colonial hotel in town, El COnvento, does not have a pool, and we really enjoyed using the pool at La Perla.

Room Tip: the best rooms have just one bed
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Canada
Reviewed 18 April 2011

was there in feb. for one night and glad I choose this hotel. very clean, stately and grand colonial hotel. Marvelous job in renovation. Stayed on a second floor room (no windows) but was very quiet. Small but charming pool and great breakfast. Felt like a king ( along its lions) and my friend won $500 us (10,000 cords) at the casino just in front of hotel ( managed by same owners) . you must visit the roof top of the cathedral..beautiful vies of the city and surrounding volcanoes. Would stay again at this hotel if ever I would go back to Leon...

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 8 April 2011

My stay was just great. Beautifully restored old mansion,with modern appointments. Great staff,many spoke English or if not would instantly get a colleague who did. Security was everywhere. No request was too much trouble. Rides to the beach provided at my convenience. Proprietor was there overseeing all operations. Food in restaurant was delicious,ate dinner there 3 nights of my 4 night stay. Can't believe that this 5 star gem was less than $100 a night. I'm planning a return visit with friends.

Room Tip: Only 15 rooms so ask to see room as you do in EU.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled solo