“The Perla Gates”
Review of La Perla Hotel

La Perla Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Leon
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We still dream about the relaxing breakfasts sitting in the open court yard with the fountains and palm trees swaying in the fresh breeze drinking the freshly roasted coffee grown specially for the hotel. We spent four nights at La Perla over christmas holiday. It was amazing coming back to our airconditioned room after the days hot adventures. The pool was perfect to wake up next to and take a little swim before breakfast and to end our day in with a cold drink from the bar. The location was ideal for the amazing Christmas festivities that where happening just down the street in the town center. Minutes to great restuarants if you want to venture out, or a 20 minute crusie to the beach. The staff aranged several day adventures for us, including Volcano Boarding, which was beautiful and exciting.The staff was very accommodating, there when you needed them and out of sight when you didn't. The hotel itself is beautiful and exclusive feeling with it's large stone and hard wood features. The Casino across the street was a special treat to hit up after a fun night on the town. Thanks The Perla, wish we where still sitting next to the pool.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the pool where great. We heard the upstairs room where also good.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kkmcneil
There are newer reviews for La Perla Hotel

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Spent two nights at La Perla in Leon in December, just before Christmas. Hotel staff were helpful, room was a nice size and clean. My room was on the 2nd floor and opened up onto the balcony overlooking a lovely courtyard and the restaurant.

Unfortunately, I did not have hot water either morning for the shower, but this isn't a biggie, it is Nica afterall and maybe I was just unlucky. I didn't complain as it wasn't freezing, so I was able to shower.

Included breakfast was great, bar was always empty while I was there, but the owner and his beautifuld dog Blue kept me company the one evening I spent an hour in the bar.

I opted for a hotel transfer to San Juan del Sur to save time, it was $100USD, but for a comfortable 3.5 hour drive on a hot day in a clean, new air conditioned van, it was worth it.

I recommend at least a quick look at the casino across the road.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We spent four days in the best hotel of the city which was about 100 meters from the main square. The check-in was fast, the staff was kind and helpful all the time. The room was clean and well equipped, had air conditioning, minibar, satellite TV. The breakfast was from half past six and as far as I remember I could chose from four kind of menu, but I got what I wanted. Internet using is free. There is a small pool which was clean. But I missed the sun loungers. There were just chairs.
There is a travel agency about 50 meters from the hotel. They organize trips everywhere you want to go. They are very cheap. Don't miss to visit to Leon Viejo which is very interesting and you can see the national bird and there is a marvellous view of the Momotombo volcan. As well as don't miss to climb the Cerro Negro volcan (it is just an hour to get the top) and slide down at the slope on a board. It is very big experience and safe.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I arrived in Leon after booking a room here online. Despite having received a confirmation email from them with complete information and reservation number, they told me they had no record of my reservation and there were no available rooms. I was simply turned out on the street in the midday heat after a long journey, completely exhausted and dragging my luggage to the nearby (and not nearly as nice) hotels they suggested.

I strongly recommend confirming your reservation by phone before arriving, as clearly the email doesn't mean anything. Better yet, just avoid the incompetence and book elsewhere.

(Obviously I can't really rate the rooms, but I don't think I can leave it blank. The lobby seemed clean enough!)

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Madacar
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We own a hotel in Mechapa and occasionally have to overnight in Leon for various reasons. We really like this hotel. Clean, neat, pretty, good location with super parking. The casino is an added bonus. We haven't had the opportunity to eat there yet so we can't review the food but there's no indication that it would not be good. Our last trip there was with friends and family on the way to the airport in Managua.

Room Tip: We like the pool-side rooms, but have never stayed on the higher floors.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I booked for three nights but due a mix up with my reservation and a wedding party only stayed two. I would recommend double checking the confirmation they send you to ensure they booked the right number of nights you asked for!

Apart from that, everything was great. A super clean and comfy van picked me and another guest up at the Managua Airport for $65 and took me back to another hotel in Managua for the same price. I confirmed the day before that they would pick me up and was surprised when I called that the receptionist knew my name and flight arrival times off the top of his head-- was impressed!

As others have said, the hotel is in a converted colonial building and very stately but modern. Rooms are small but cozy. My room was near the pool and I would recommend you not stay there. It's great if you get quiet guests as the two rooms near the pool are in a separate area of the hotel and you feel as if you have the pool right outside your door to yourself. The problem is that if there is a large party, they all congregate by the pool and you will hear everything from your room. It's even worse if you get party animals splashing around and sipping drinks in the pool past midnight.

Food is okay but not exceptional. Breakfast (included in the room price) service is fast and lunch can be fast if you ask, but if you need food outside main meal times, expect a very long wait.

Wifi is very fast and you can access it from your room and the rest of the hotel property. Laundry service is fast and efficient.

As other guests have noted staff are fanstastic. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the pool as they can be noisy if there is a group.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We have been sailing along the Central American coast and recently stopped at Marina Puesta del Sol in northern Nicaragua. We wanted to visit Leon and contacted Hotel La Perla. The hotel sent a van out to pick us up and after staying at the hotel for a couple of days took us back to the marina. The staff at the hotel was very helpful, the hotel was very comfortable, and the food was as good as any we have had in Central America. La Perla helped us to see not only Leon but some of the Nicaraguan countryside. We would recommend it without reservation.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends