La Perla Hotel
US$86
Priceline
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsrestored mansionplunge poolwindowless roombeautiful buildingair conditioningreception desksmall poolstreet noisehot waterpancakesjimnicaraguacourtyardrenovationtilesusd
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Former mansion, made very beautiful and tasteful a few years back by two American guys who are very chatty about their restoration project and success working with local laborers. There are two size rooms, the cheaper on the ground floor, which are much smaller with low ceiling and small TV sets, and the more expensive rooms upstairs via a wonderful wooden staircase, with higher ceilings and slightly larger TV. Some of the second floor rooms have a great view of red tile roofs and a church in the near distance. All rooms have modern fixtures and granite counters in the bathroom and private a/c systems and ceiling fans. Bed was comfortable. Room was adequately cleaned. Queen size bed. Safe in the wall unit. We paid $70 plus tax for double occupancy in the cheaper room. It is a bargain.

Leon is small and the hotel is 2 minutes walk from the central park and cathedral.

Breakfast was included. Choice of eggs or crispy edged pancakes with fresh orange juice, savory bacon and nice large chunks of fruit cocktail. Prepared well. Meals are served around the attractive courtyard with nice tablecloths and settings or in the a/c restaurant. The one time we wanted to eat in the restaurant the windows were open and it was noisy from the street. Although the art on the walls in the dining room was wonderful. These guys have made an attractive hotel.

Other meals were fine, with the best being the steak entrée (which is consistent with my other meals in Nicaragua). The shrimp cocktail appetizer at $3.75 was quite a deal (although the Russian dressing sauce could be improved). The coffee was among the best I had in the country. Only disappointment was the pasta with pesto which was swimming in oil – yuck! And don’t know why there was no avocado while we were there as it was available in the market and listed on the menu.

Reception and other services were top notch, although we did not challenge them too much with requests like hotel bookings, airlines, etc.
There was a small swimming pool, like the ones I found in other hotels but I don’t realize what is the point other than visual, as they are so small and unheated.

The hotel offered taxi service to the airport for $70 plus tax, but you can do better with Tierra tours across the street with $55 all inclusive for a private taxi or at $20 a person if they use a shuttle.

Management is building a casino across the street, expected completion in Fall 2009.

Overall score: A.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
lou1944, owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2009

First of all...we are very grateful for all comments...good or bad...That is how we learn on areas for improvement

You were too kind regarding the shrimp cocktail sauce...It is lousy !!!!..I will bring from the USA Silver Springs Horseradish sauce...so we can make a great sauce for the shrimp that we buy directly from fisherman..

But thank you for the the pic of the art work.. this is about "passion" for me... and as with my partner Mark McKnight..we love art...and in the mansion...what great walls for displaying art !!!

Thanks for staying with us and your comments
Jim Petersen

PS. I will let you know when I have the horseradish sauce!!!

Reviewed 28 February 2009

We stayed at La Perla 2 times in February. Came back the 2nd time because we had such a good experience the first time. We got a room with a soaking tub in the bathroom--luxury! The staff even delivered bubble bath! Breakfast was included and was great. For some reason, this place hasn't made the guidebooks, but having been to the place that our book said was number 1, there was no match. This place is by far the best hotel in Leon, and not the most expensive.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
lou1944, Owner/ Director at La Perla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2009

Thank you for your kind comments.

Regarding the various Travel Guidebooks: Simply stated; It takes time for the various Editors to revise their guidebooks. We have a very good recommendation in Moon's & the brand new Frommer's Central America Guide, ranked us as the #1 Hotel and the #1 restaurant in Leon. Hopefully, during 2009, other important guidebooks will visit La Perla.

Again, thank you for selecting our hotel.
Jim Petersen

Reviewed 11 January 2009

My husband and I travelled for 14 days from one end of Nicaragua to the other. La Perla was by far the best hotel in which we stayed. I am a travel agent and December is a down time for me. We chose to travel to Nicaragua because it would be warm, inexpensive and a place we’d never been before.

Let me explain my travel style before I continue. I have stayed in a $20 hole in the wall in Costa Rica, and I’ve stayed in a $600 room at the Grand Bretagne in Athens, Greece. It just depends on what I’m looking for at the time. For this trip, I knew that the price of “the best” would still be affordable because Nicaragua is so inexpensive compared to Tahiti or Italy where we spent the last two Christmas breaks.

Getting back to La Perla - we started out in Leon at a very well know hotel, assuming it would be the best in town. I was disappointed the minute we walked in. Bright and early the next morning we started looking at other hotels. We stopped in front of the entrance to La Perla and were blown away. I did not have this hotel on my list. We just stumbled upon it by accident. We walked around the property and then went back to the front desk to get more information. As I waited by the front desk my husband came up to me and introduced one of the owners of the property, Jim Peterson. He was just a delight. He showed us all the different room categories and then took us across the street where they are building a new casino. If I remember correctly it will open in March or April. After the tour we went back to our original hotel, checked out and 15 minutes later we were relaxing - in style - at La Perla. I told Jim about the moldy bathtub at the previous hotel and explained that I love relaxing in a bath, not a shower. The next morning he met us at breakfast with Calgon bath salts to enjoy during our stay! Talk about attention to detail! The bar, the restaurant, the pool, the service – everything was top notch. I highly recommend La Perla.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 1 December 2008

GREAT says it all!!!
The very friendly, graceous, helpful and accomodating owners (Jim Petersen, Mark McBright) have done a remarkable job restoring an old palace-turned-into-a-run-down hostel into an elegant hotel in the tourist heart of Leon. The well-trained, customer-focused, helpful, excellent staff is first class. The excellent, reasonably-priced food was well-prepared and well-presented in a variety of comfortable settings. La Perla is a pearl.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 29 November 2008

Outstading staff and service. My mother and I had booked this hotel because of their airport shuttle service. Courteous, friendly staff member picked us up at the airport and transported us to the hotel. We were very pleased with the cleanliness and service at this hotel, not to mention their delicious breakfast. Would definitely book again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends