“The best in Leon, but...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Perla Hotel

La Perla Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Leon
Los Angeles
“The best in Leon, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

From the outside, this looks like a great hotel. Once we got into our
room though, I was disappointed. The door wouldn't lock until we
basically forced it, we had problems with the safe, there were ants in
the bathroom, and our window also wouldn't lock. They also promised
us two free bottles of water, but only gave us one, and they also only
gave us one set of towels, and we had to ask for another, and the room
was a little dusty too. On the plus side, the food at dinner was
good, as was the breakfast, and the front desk staff were nice,
although their English (at least on the evening shift) was
non-existent. Leon is a nice city to visit during the day, but I
doubt I would ever go back there.

lou1944, owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2009
We appreciate and learn from all comments; I have emailed the reviewer , but have not received a response. I believe our guest was with a tour group which stayed for one night. As a result we have taken the following actions:
1. Checked all security locks and repaired two locks
2. Replaced two safe boxes with similiar ones...only ones available in Nicaragua
3. Ants....We have had a schyduled pest control program and have added a late night inspection of vacant rooms (Ants are most active at night)

This is an example of the value of Tripadvisor.com....helps visitors in a selection of a hotel, PLUS helps the management improve the service. Thanks ,
Jim Petersen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2009

Loved every moment of our two night stay. The rooms are modern and very clean (although they are carpeted - and I much prefer tile or hardwood floors). We stayed in the standard room (I think A4) near the pool at the corner. It was very quiet. The a/c was perfect (you definitely need it in Leon). The pool was perfect. Hardly anyone is ever in it. The breakfasts were wonderful, tasty and filling and included fresh juice and great coffee. Staff is great. Wonderful service and great location very close to the main cathedral. The only thing is their arranged transport from Managua airport to Leon is expensive. Try Tierra Tours $55 usd for a private taxi to take you to Leon. Also to go to Las Penitas from the hotel, get a private taxi to take you there for $10 or less (negotiate!) They are also within a block from Tierra Tours (perfect to arrange a tour of Cerro Negro/sandboarding). Free Wi-Fi a plus.

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2009

One of our best hotel experiences ever (and we travel a LOT). Our large room overlooked an elegant courtyard with a fountain and two marble lions, where we also had a good breakfast every morning, including coffee grown on the American owners’ coffee plantation. Both hotel and coffee are clearly labors of love. My architect husband was impressed with the quality of the restoration, and the hotel is filled with local art and pottery, part of the owners’ effort to support the local community. The hotel location was exactly right for Leon, a block or two away from the main square. The restaurant was great, the best food we had in the country. The staff were unfailingly helpful and endearing. And having a glass of wine in the small bar every night was like going to a better than average cocktail party, where the other guests might be a doctor doing a Gates Foundation project, a graduate student taking a break from oral history interviews, or any of a host of local friends (you become one immediately) of owner and affable host Jim Petersen.

rye
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

The owner james is the greatest guy you would ever meet .He makes you feel like you never want to leave.The staff are the best you could fine treat you like a king and queen.When you see the hotel the first thing you are going to say is wow look at this place.You will have a great stay there .I hope you vist leon soon and have the best time of your life i did.My son got married there.
charles bologna

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

Former mansion, made very beautiful and tasteful a few years back by two American guys who are very chatty about their restoration project and success working with local laborers. There are two size rooms, the cheaper on the ground floor, which are much smaller with low ceiling and small TV sets, and the more expensive rooms upstairs via a wonderful wooden staircase, with higher ceilings and slightly larger TV. Some of the second floor rooms have a great view of red tile roofs and a church in the near distance. All rooms have modern fixtures and granite counters in the bathroom and private a/c systems and ceiling fans. Bed was comfortable. Room was adequately cleaned. Queen size bed. Safe in the wall unit. We paid $70 plus tax for double occupancy in the cheaper room. It is a bargain.

Leon is small and the hotel is 2 minutes walk from the central park and cathedral.

Breakfast was included. Choice of eggs or crispy edged pancakes with fresh orange juice, savory bacon and nice large chunks of fruit cocktail. Prepared well. Meals are served around the attractive courtyard with nice tablecloths and settings or in the a/c restaurant. The one time we wanted to eat in the restaurant the windows were open and it was noisy from the street. Although the art on the walls in the dining room was wonderful. These guys have made an attractive hotel.

Other meals were fine, with the best being the steak entrée (which is consistent with my other meals in Nicaragua). The shrimp cocktail appetizer at $3.75 was quite a deal (although the Russian dressing sauce could be improved). The coffee was among the best I had in the country. Only disappointment was the pasta with pesto which was swimming in oil – yuck! And don’t know why there was no avocado while we were there as it was available in the market and listed on the menu.

Reception and other services were top notch, although we did not challenge them too much with requests like hotel bookings, airlines, etc.
There was a small swimming pool, like the ones I found in other hotels but I don’t realize what is the point other than visual, as they are so small and unheated.

The hotel offered taxi service to the airport for $70 plus tax, but you can do better with Tierra tours across the street with $55 all inclusive for a private taxi or at $20 a person if they use a shuttle.

Management is building a casino across the street, expected completion in Fall 2009.

Overall score: A.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
lou1944, owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2009
First of all...we are very grateful for all comments...good or bad...That is how we learn on areas for improvement

You were too kind regarding the shrimp cocktail sauce...It is lousy !!!!..I will bring from the USA Silver Springs Horseradish sauce...so we can make a great sauce for the shrimp that we buy directly from fisherman..

But thank you for the the pic of the art work.. this is about "passion" for me... and as with my partner Mark McKnight..we love art...and in the mansion...what great walls for displaying art !!!

Thanks for staying with us and your comments
Jim Petersen

PS. I will let you know when I have the horseradish sauce!!!
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2009

We stayed at La Perla 2 times in February. Came back the 2nd time because we had such a good experience the first time. We got a room with a soaking tub in the bathroom--luxury! The staff even delivered bubble bath! Breakfast was included and was great. For some reason, this place hasn't made the guidebooks, but having been to the place that our book said was number 1, there was no match. This place is by far the best hotel in Leon, and not the most expensive.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
lou1944, Owner/ Director at La Perla Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2009
Thank you for your kind comments.

Regarding the various Travel Guidebooks: Simply stated; It takes time for the various Editors to revise their guidebooks. We have a very good recommendation in Moon's & the brand new Frommer's Central America Guide, ranked us as the #1 Hotel and the #1 restaurant in Leon. Hopefully, during 2009, other important guidebooks will visit La Perla.

Again, thank you for selecting our hotel.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2009

My husband and I travelled for 14 days from one end of Nicaragua to the other. La Perla was by far the best hotel in which we stayed. I am a travel agent and December is a down time for me. We chose to travel to Nicaragua because it would be warm, inexpensive and a place we’d never been before.

Let me explain my travel style before I continue. I have stayed in a $20 hole in the wall in Costa Rica, and I’ve stayed in a $600 room at the Grand Bretagne in Athens, Greece. It just depends on what I’m looking for at the time. For this trip, I knew that the price of “the best” would still be affordable because Nicaragua is so inexpensive compared to Tahiti or Italy where we spent the last two Christmas breaks.

Getting back to La Perla - we started out in Leon at a very well know hotel, assuming it would be the best in town. I was disappointed the minute we walked in. Bright and early the next morning we started looking at other hotels. We stopped in front of the entrance to La Perla and were blown away. I did not have this hotel on my list. We just stumbled upon it by accident. We walked around the property and then went back to the front desk to get more information. As I waited by the front desk my husband came up to me and introduced one of the owners of the property, Jim Peterson. He was just a delight. He showed us all the different room categories and then took us across the street where they are building a new casino. If I remember correctly it will open in March or April. After the tour we went back to our original hotel, checked out and 15 minutes later we were relaxing - in style - at La Perla. I told Jim about the moldy bathtub at the previous hotel and explained that I love relaxing in a bath, not a shower. The next morning he met us at breakfast with Calgon bath salts to enjoy during our stay! Talk about attention to detail! The bar, the restaurant, the pool, the service – everything was top notch. I highly recommend La Perla.

• Liked — Elegance and attention to detail
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)