“Excellent property - nicest hotel in Leon & it's under $100/night!!!!”
Review of La Perla Hotel

La Perla Hotel
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Leon
Reviewed 30 November 2010

This hotel is up to US 5 star standards. The included breakfast poolside is excellent. The Owner Jim Peterson is kind, nice, and sales hello. The pool there is very tranquil (as is the entire property. There is a brand new casino across the street as well that is first class. This hotel is superb in every single way. Free wifi too, flat screens in the room, ice cold AC, and you walk everywhere in Leon. I highly recommend. If you need a US tour operator to assist you in Nicaragua you may contact me as well. chad at inertia tours

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank spiguy1733

Reviewed 21 November 2010

Good choice for a stay in Leon. One of the (American) owners of the hotel was there and made a point to introduce himself and talk to his guests. Hotel staff was helpful in making arrangements for airport transfer and helping me get to my next destination within Nicaragua.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank valerie721
Reviewed 6 November 2010

La Perla was a real treat in the center of Leon. A father and son team, Jim and James Peterson manage and own the hotel. The staff is excellent, very friendly and acommodating, and they really try to make your stay pleasant. It has a small pool in a side court yard to cool off. We had one of the windowless rooms, which I acutually preferred since there was very little noise and it kept very cool. My wife prefers a room with a window, so next time we come back we'll get a room with a view. It was a wonderful place to visit and I would highly recommend it. They also have a small casino across the street in another restored buiilding. My wife and I were very impressed by the restoration, the wonderful tiles, art and architecture. Even if you don't stay there, you should have at least have a drink at the bar or a meal.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drholiday2112
Reviewed 21 August 2010

This is going to be a very biased review. We love La Perla. My wife and I have been coming to La Perla for several years. I think I lost track of how many times we have stayed there. I believe we have been there six times for a total of approximately 28 days.

We never got around to reviewing this place until we read about one couple's problem with noise. The staff and management have always fixed any problem we might encounter. The room we wanted in advance was not available upon arrival -a free upgrade was given. AC went out in one of our rooms - another upgraded room stay. These people are professional s in the hotel business. You sense it the second you walk into the lobby.

My wife has family in Leon, so we usually stay at La Perla because I need the pool, wi-fi, and AC. Everything is top quality..The patio sized pool is in its own intimate niche, the Spanish architecture is eye-popping, The service is ultra attentive, smooth, and effective. That in itself is a very big deal in Nicaragua. The food is creatively prepared with Nica and American dishes. The included breakfast is always a civilized treat. Civilized is the word that says it all. La Perla is calm, classy bastion of civilized repose in the nexus of central Leon's buzz. Kudos to the staff and owners. Jim, the co-owner, rocks!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I have been meaning to write a review since my trip to Leon and staying at the La Perla in November/December 2009. My colleagues and I were traveling in Nicaragua to conduct interviews and research for a book and documentary. It was hot and six of us had been traveling by a taxi without shocks or air conditioning from Managua, with all of our backpacks and equipment in the trunk. The place we had originally planned to stay was not an appropriate venue afterall for our work and interviews. We drove around Leon and came upon the La Perla. From that moment on, our entire experience (and subsequent research and interview work) changed for the better. The owners and staff went above and beyond to make our stay productive. They even helped us find amazing people to interview and we were able to take advantage of the perfect La Perla courtyard to set up our camera. When one of our delegation became ill, thus extending our stay in Leon by two days, the owners and staff graciously accomodated us and offered their help with our sick team member. The entire stay an unforgettable experience for us personally and professionally. Thank you to the La Perla team.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
lou1944, Owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2010

Thanks for your kind comments...BUT: This Group makes one proud to be an American. Mark and I thank THEM for their work. We have been open over two years and we have had an opportunity to see the best of America.

Some of the groups have been::

1. American Doctors that come to Nicaragua, at their own expense, that spent 12 hours a day conducting operations at the hospital
2. Another group of doctors that specialize in heart operations, many planned for months in advance. Another Doctor spending 6 months working at the hospital thanks to the Gates Foundation and Duke.
3. Faith based groups, that feed people and help them grow crops.
4. Also a group of Canadian dentists that spend 2 weeks every year in the small communities and keep all of their equipment in Nicaragua...(Also many countries of Europe)
5. And then there are our USA government employees
A. We have met many young people that work with the Peace Corp...and the US Embassey professionals.. We thank all of them and their families for their service
B. Many members of MCC that build roads, bridges, and other projects and a second group improving agriculture methods.
C. Groups from the CDC testing farm workers with the objective of improving the health of the workers.
D. Groups "building bridges" of understanding between the people of our Country and Nicaragua.

Everyday, on the news we hear of government waste...Well from "my-seat-in-the-stadium", I see the best of our government and the People of the United States of America...committed to helping the people of Nicaragua..I am proud to have the opportunity to know each of you.

Jim Petersen

Reviewed 17 June 2010

To start off with the good, this hotel is beautiful. The owners really did a spectacular job in their restoration/renovation. The general staff were wonderful too, always very happy to answer questions and help with problems. My husband and I went out to the pool our first night there without thinking of bringing towels. One of the staff members noticed, and a few minutes later brought towels out to us without us even asking. On our first afternoon there, we were sitting in the bar watching a world cup match and the owner came up to us to make sure we were being served. The servers at the bar and at breakfast always stayed close enough that we could easy ask them for anything, without being so close it felt like they were hovering.

However, our opinion of the place was ruined on our second night there, this past Saturday, when the restaurant had a music show of a dj and some live performers. Apparently they're trying to turn their restaurant into a Saturday hot spot without concern for the guests trying to sleep upstairs. The bass was thumping in our room, so my husband went downstairs to see what could be done. The staff was as helpful as always, but said he needed to talk to the woman in charge (maybe one of the owners' wives? She was an older American). When he explained the problem, she responded that "Oh, your room is right over the restaurant." Helpful. She did tell him that she would "ask the dj to turn it down." It was a little better for a short while, but then it started getting louder and louder, and by the time the live performers were up it sounded like they were in our room. My husband went down again, and the manager was much ruder, telling him there was nothing she could do. Couldn't turn it down, couldn't change our room, couldn't give us a discount, nothing. My husband was so visibly upset that one of the workers went over to her to try and plead his case, but to no avail. We had to get up early for a long hike the next day on next to no sleep. We would have loved to discuss the problem with one of the owners, but we never saw either again since the first day in the bar. So, in the end, we paid what amounts to a good deal of money in Leon for one of the most miserable nights we've ever spent anywhere.

A warning for those travelling in the near future: they had a sign outside the restaurant that they have a few of these events planned, I think the next two Saturdays, so if this place is in your plans the next few Saturdays you may want to rethink things, or at least make sure you get a room far from the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank parslane
lou1944, Owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2010

These were wonderful guests. A young American couple, whom I personally met as I try to introduce myself to all of our guests. I have also personally send them an email prior to responding to their review. We appreciate their candid comments and their decision to stay for 3 nights, including the Sunday night after the Saturday music event. I also appreciate their kind words about the service that they received from the staff. Now the Music event:
a. The event was simply 2 people singing with computer generated music.
b. It was scheduled from 9:15PM until 11:30PM on Saturday night...We have a policy of NO music after midnight and none during the week.
c. Our Manager, Valeska, was present the entire time and at about 9:30PM, this guest indicated that the music was too loud...Valeska had the music turned down and the last "set" of songs eliminated.
d. The hotel was full; therefore we could not relocate the guests...several guests enjoyed the music as most music in Latin America and certainly Leon starts at 10PM until ?? and is very loud. The guest is correct that we had a sign at the gate announcing the event.

As a result of our guest comments:
a. I have instructed our receptionists to inform all guests of pending events BEFORE they check in as well as invite them to attend.. (We have many requests for salsa dance lessons, etc...from guests and non-guests).
b. Continue policy of no music during the week or after midnight on weekends
c. Continue very quiet background music in the bar for the enjoyment of our guests

Leon is a wonderful city, rich in history, 25,000 students, 22 churches, beach nearby, and a exciting night life...join the adventure.

I do thank our guests for sharing the good and the bad and the opportunity to respond.

Oh, one correction...our Manager is not an "older American" , she is a single "100% full octane " Latina and very proud to be a Nicaraguan from an excellent Leon family
Sincerely
Jim Petersen

Reviewed 7 June 2010

As someone who has stayed in many hotels in Central America as an individual and with groups, this has to be the best so far. From the management to the staff to the accomodations to the resturant all were far above any I have experienced. This Hotel went way beyond normal service to make our stay both restful and worth the dollar.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business