“Beautiful colonial mansion”
Review of La Perla Hotel

La Perla Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Leon
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I was one of a large group of people who stayed at this hotel for a wedding. Overall, I had a wonderful experience. Everyone in our large group was quite content with the hotel.

I found the rooms to be clean. I stayed in a single room for two days and then in a double room for the remainder of my stay. When I arrived, I noticed a bug in my single room but this is expected given it is Central America. When I alerted the front desk of the the problem, they addressed it immediately. The maids did an excellent cleaning job every day.

I found the employees to be very helpful and friendly. Language was a barrier but that is due to my poor Spanish (or lack of Spanish). Their service was very efficient and quick.

The pool was small but it served its purpose. It was kept clean.

The restaurant was excellent. I liked all of the meals that I had there. My understanding is that it is known as the best restaurant in Leon.

The style of the hotel was beautiful. The owners did an excellent job of renovating the colonial mansion into a hotel. I liked looking at the paintings in the restaurant. I liked the choice of statues and decorations.

The location of the hotel was quite central. The cathedrals and tourism attractions were within walking distance.

One of the owners made and effort to speak to all of the guests and I thought that this was quite considerate of him.

Lastly, I would like to comment on the review by a member of a family of four, dated January 5, 2011, who commented on a "middle aged American" and his young companions. My friends and I stayed at this hotel for almost one week and none of us noticed anything out of the ordinary or unusual. I question the stereotypes and assumptions that formed the basis of the reviewer's conclusions. I think posting such allegations, without any foundation or proof and without taking the time to even complain to management during their stay, is frankly irresponsible.

I highly recommend staying at this hotel during one's stay in Leon.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rupinder256

Reviewed 11 January 2011

I was very surprised to read a couple of negative reviews for this hotel - a large group of us stayed at La Perla for a wedding last week and we had a wonderful experience. The hotel is beautiful and in a very central location; the staff was friendly and accomodating; and the food in the attached restaurant was wonderful. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Really beautiful building, restored with huge flair and restrained taste, in a central but quite location. Our room for 4 was rather poky - it had no windows at all, which was claustrophobic. Small but sunny pool which the kids enjoyed. Greatr breakfasts, although there were no menus, so it took us a few days to work our what was available to us (as vegetarians with poor spanish). But the real upset was the middle aged american staying in the hotel with two young prostitues - my teenage daughters first noticed this in the swimming pool... Worse still, we booked the hotel MPV to take us to Granada, only to find out - quite literally after we had put our bags in the car - that the american and his companions were coming with us and that we were going to take a detour to the airport at Managua (adding substantialily to our journey time and with no commensurate reduction on cost for us!). It was an unpleasant and tense experience adn put a real downer on the stay - particularly given all the publicity in Nicaragua about these issues.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank sallulabel
lou1944, Owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2011

This review is Beyond-the-Pale.

I want to be very direct as I speak for the owners, the managers and all of our employees and our families..(we are the largest private employer in "Historic Leon") to all of those that utilize tripadvisor
1. .We have a written Code of Conduct signed by each employee in which we have "Zero-Tolerence" for misconduct by employee OR Guests.
2. There has never been and will never be any tolerance for prostitutes anywhere on our property to the best of everyones knowledge (as a sidebar, none of our wonderful employees, ALL from this very religious city and many large close families, would work for any hotel that allowed prostitutes. Many this is why Leon is the safest city in all on Nicaragua, the safest Country in Central America.
3. We have a sercuity system with several cameras in our public areas for the safety of our guests. We also have 24 hour security at the gates of our hotel and parking area. We have completed a total review of the recorded DVD's and there is absolutely no incident of any misconduct. We have also interviewed our employees.
4. Even though it was the Christmas season, I was here most of the time, My son was here, our wonderful Nicarguan Female General manager...( from a very great family) was here...Our Human resourse manager...was not here; as she goes to ALL 22 churches during Christmas and on some days my partner was present....as Tripadvisor reviewers know, we address all issues for all customers... This "cyber review" is the first we hear of any of these problems...Would it not have been more effective, to simply tell the owner, the manager, the waiter, the receptionist, the driver, the guard and correct whatever the concern was? We did not become the #1 Hotel, by not listening to our customers. We had 20 events, including two weddings, in December (and one wedding this weekend)...does anyone seriously believe we would allow the behavior described in the review when are business is focused on families?
5, Maybe as the reviewer states..they do not understand Spanish and based on their other hotel reviews( all submitted on the same day they joined tripadvisor.com), had serious issues with other hotels in Nicaragua; perhaps lack of language skills was an issue.
6. Also maybe a lack of understanding Nicaraguan and Spanish culture, that Christmas is a very religious period and most employees of all hotels want to be with their families and at church; hence their experience in other hotels and their suprise that resturant operations may be affected on Christmas.
My thanks to all the clients of Tripadvisor whom have taken the time to read my sincere response and thank tripadvisor for the opportunity to respond.

Reviewed 2 January 2011

Lonely Planet's review of this hotel states: "A pearl indeed." I would say: "A real dud." We recently spent two nights at this hotel, reportedly the best in Leon, Nicaragua. If this is the best hotel in the city, then I shudder to think of what the other places are like. The outside of the hotel was quite nice-- but you can't judge a book by its cover. When we arrived on December 26, the first room, near the pool, was not cleaned so we were put in another room toward the front of the hotel, off the street. The room carpet was worn and dirty. It's one of those carpets where you'd be reluctant to walk on in bare feet. The bathroom -- although remodeled -- was entirely ordinary. To get into the tub / shower, we had to climb up two steps, being careful not to fall, as there were no handrails to grab. The drain in the bathtub didn't work right, so water didn't drain properly. Standing in 6 inches of dirty water is not my idea of a good shower. The curtain didn't "match" the tub, so water from the shower sprayed onto the floor. There were only two towels. The room safe was difficult to operate. We had to ask for help with the safe, and it was only after we asked twice that we got help. While the location of the hotel is OK (a couple of blocks from the main plaza), I would say the staff of the hotel was not very accommodating, or helpful. Their attitude was, "Manana." The property definitely needs an upgrade. Despite its name, Hotel La Perla was not a pearl.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Balsher
lou1944, Owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2011

The reviewer is an experienced traveler and their comments must be considered seriously; therefore, I will attempt to address each point. (PS: also well written review)

First, I have filled each bathtub to ensure proper drainage.....We are the only hotel with bathtubs in several rooms. When we restored this important 150 year old palace, we had some restrictions, such as the original space between the the ceiling of the first floor and the floors in the rooms upstairs...It was necessary to place the bathtubs above the floor. Each room with a bathtub does I have a assist stainless steel bar.. (These were not available in NI, so I personally carried them from the USA). The carpeting in being replaced with the same carpeting used at Harrod's in Las Vegas...Two more rooms have been replaced this week...Also in the poolside rooms we are replacing the carpeting with colorful tiles. Thanks to the reviewer we checked the safes and did find two with low batteries.

I or my son are usually in the hotel and personally assist our guests; however, I did spent 2 days with my family on 12/26 and 12/27, so I failed to meet these guests. Christmas is a very special time in Leon, with 22 churches all decorated...Many of our great employees, all from Leon families, desire vacation days for church and family and my partner and I "fill-in"...and in the case, we did not due an acceptable job.
Again, we learn from all of our guests and we thank the reviewer for their valuable input.

Reviewed 30 November 2010

This hotel is up to US 5 star standards. The included breakfast poolside is excellent. The Owner Jim Peterson is kind, nice, and sales hello. The pool there is very tranquil (as is the entire property. There is a brand new casino across the street as well that is first class. This hotel is superb in every single way. Free wifi too, flat screens in the room, ice cold AC, and you walk everywhere in Leon. I highly recommend. If you need a US tour operator to assist you in Nicaragua you may contact me as well. chad at inertia tours

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank spiguy1733
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Good choice for a stay in Leon. One of the (American) owners of the hotel was there and made a point to introduce himself and talk to his guests. Hotel staff was helpful in making arrangements for airport transfer and helping me get to my next destination within Nicaragua.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank valerie721
Reviewed 6 November 2010

La Perla was a real treat in the center of Leon. A father and son team, Jim and James Peterson manage and own the hotel. The staff is excellent, very friendly and acommodating, and they really try to make your stay pleasant. It has a small pool in a side court yard to cool off. We had one of the windowless rooms, which I acutually preferred since there was very little noise and it kept very cool. My wife prefers a room with a window, so next time we come back we'll get a room with a view. It was a wonderful place to visit and I would highly recommend it. They also have a small casino across the street in another restored buiilding. My wife and I were very impressed by the restoration, the wonderful tiles, art and architecture. Even if you don't stay there, you should have at least have a drink at the bar or a meal.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple