“Worst experience ever, prison food is better!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of hotel Bisevo

hotel Bisevo
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Vis
Zagreb, Grad Zagreb, Croatia
“Worst experience ever, prison food is better!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I cannot find enough word to describe this place. Island of Vis is one of the best places in Croatia and Hotel Bisevo is a true disaster. I am not a luxury guy but the value for money does not exist in this place. We got food poison in this hotel with apsolutlly no reaction from the staff and hotel management. We only got repply from the vaitor that it is not his fault so we have escaped from the hotel very soon. Elevator makes so much noice that you cannon ignore this anoying sound. The "hotel" is not so clean and the breakfast is always the same: salamies, hot dogs, powder milk, and eggs. For dinner you would need to have very sharp and strong knife so you could slice your "steak", but the mash potatoes is very delicious (it is made of powder). Offcourse, you will pay 100 euros for this service, per night. For this money, you can rent two bedroom appartment and have dinner it an excellent fish restaurant. Save your time and money and avoid this so called hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Slobodan H

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

The first thing I liked about the hotel was a nice parking place with even some shadow for the car.

Unfortunately the first nice impression was destroyed right after that when I had to carry all bags 2 floors down to the reception because there are no elevators connecting parking entrance on the hill.

We took better rooms with the sea view and I really liked the view! Room was old, but with plenty of space and clean (as much as this is possible with very outdated furniture). The stuff was kind and they tried to do their best if you came with a problem.

Here is where good things end. I don't understand how they can try to get you out of your room at 8.10 in the morning just beacuse they want to clean it? And half hour later cleaning lady starts to explain you that she has still so much to clean, that you really should let her do that! Once she even didn't return so room was not cleaned at all!

The food was terrible! I don't mind if there is simple breakefast, but I really don't want to see old and dry bread! Only 2 times there was fresh bread for breakefast! Once because we came at 8.00 instead at 7.00 as usuall and I guess people already ate all old bread. Second time I don't know what happened but we all had to wait till 7.20 to get it. There was probably none of the old one left from the dinner.

Dinners were something special. You were given the same table each evening and you had to decide if you are coming at 19.00 or 20.00. That's because those who start at 19.00 had to finish the dinner before the next shift at 20.00 came. And I thought I was on holidays? For me that's not dinner from 19.00 - 21.00 if you have to decide for the whole staying between coming at 19h or 20h.

After first dinner we were told that we cannot put the bill for drinks on our room because we should ask for that when ordering. Ok, strange. When I did like that next time waitress told me that she pressed the wrong key and that unfortunately we have to pay it right away. Next days she learned to hit the right key... :))

There were always 3 menus for the meal except on weekend when they were just 2 (don't understand this logic). You had to tell in advance for the next day what you want to eat. It was always fish, meat or pasta.

The soup was always with the smell and taste of the low quality instant soup! Not just that, there was some oil added to it so I had feeling like I want to eat some bread along what I never do.

Fish was always swimming for the second time, this time on your plate in oil. Plenty, plenty of oil, Everything was soaked with it! Pasta was not good either! And the meat usually had some french fries, not even close to the quality of McDonalds. (I never thought I could find something even worse that McDonalds)

There was a salad bar! And in the season where there is so much fresh vegetables in the market, half of the salad was from the can, like it's winter time when there is nothing fresh growing outside.

For the desert there was usually fruit. Strange, I'd love some fruit for breakefast, not dinner. For example after eating instant soup and oily fish, we got 4 plums per person for desert. Next time 1 banana or slice of watermellon (at least that was season fruit!)

After every dinner I felt like I was inflated baloon even I didn't eat much because portions were actually very small. 2 days before leaving I got sick during the night and had to throw up. Later I even got a fiver which finally stopped at the time of writing this review, after few days...

Oh, and the bread for dinner was not fresh too! Really don't know how they managed to get old bread for both dinner and breakefast?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GBxl

Travellers are raving about these Vis hotels

Fort Myers Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

Hotel Bisevo is the only hotel in Komiza. There are many apartments available for half the price. The rooms are old and there is no hair dryer. I paid extra and got a room with view which was worth it.
The breakfast was simple and the bread was old. Not so much variety. If you are looking for what a hotel can offer, Bisevo is ok. When i go back to Komiza I will rent an apartment for half the price.
The staff is very helpful and friendly and the laundry prices are very fair.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

We were on a sailing trip when my husband became seriously ill while in Komiza port. We ended up at the medical center in the middle of the night and decided we would have to cut our trip short. The nurse called this hotel which is about 100 yards from the med center and the found us a room at 4:00 am. The first room was on the 1st floor, small, no AC but acceptable. It was clean. In the morning I asked for a room with AC as my husband still had a fever. They were able to accommodate us on the 5th floor, sea view. The rooms are reminiscent of a summer camp. No frills. There is a fridge and this room has a nicer updated bathroom than the other room. I think I'm paying about $80 or less which I find inexpensive for a room. The staff have been very accomodating, giving me hot water to fix soup and answering 1000 questions. I'm only on breakfast and it is pretty terrible, but you could always go to one of the many cafes around.

• Stayed August 2012
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

We have spent 8 nights in this hotel in August 2012, so we had the opportunity to get to know this place quite well. We had a great time, however you should not have high expectations when visiting this hotel, so you will not be disappointed!
First of all you should be aware that this hotel is quite expensive compared what it has to offer, but it is in an island, so all the stuffs have to be carried on a boat, so you have to pay extra for everything basically. For example the aircon is extra charge too, which you will probably need when travelling in the summer.
You should book a room on the 5th or 6th floor with sea view, otherwise you will not be happy with the place, so it is worth some extra charge. The rooms are okay, nothing fancy, nothing modern, 80's style all over, but it has a charme, nice retro feeling, which you will need to get used to. Rooms are clean, which was good, the towels are changed every day, so I can not complain. The beds are actually two beds put together, not so comfortable, very rough, so I had to put an extra blanket under, so I could get used to it after the first day. There is a bar, which could get very noisy during the nights, so do not forget yor ear-plugs, so you can make sure you have good night sleeps on your holiday...
I was extremely worried about the food, I like to eat, and like to eat good, and we were on half board for 9 days.. I am not satisfied at all to be honest. The breakfasts were same for every day, no fruits at all, bread, butter, jam, some meat, coffe, that is all, but at least enough to start the day, but nothing special at all. Just the same for every single day. The dinners were okay, however on the first day I was shocked basically. The portions are very small, so you can go on a diet here if you wish.. I had the feeling that everything is counted, so I had to ask for a double soup every day, despite the fact that the soups were artificial every day. The desserts were some fruits like banana or melon, so we always had to go to the town to get some ice cream.. (I like to have fruit as a starter) The only good thing was the fish. The fish are very good, I recommend ordering fish for every day - you will have to order your dish every night for the forthcoming day. The cook really knows how to prepare fish, very tasty, very good, which I was happy about at least.
The staff are friendly, helpful, I have nothing to complain on the service.
So basically this hotel is acceptable, you can have a great time, but just in case if you do not have high expectations!! (like I did for the food) Just be aware what you get, that is the key. Vis is a beatiful place, great beaches, great weather, friendly people, exciting places to visit - do not forget the military tour, and the Blue Cave is fantastic!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank melinda_rull
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Hotel Bisevo is the only hotel in Komiza so unless you are not prepared to search for a room in private accomodation, choice is obvious. It dates back to early 70' and I have to say that I expected much less from what I got. Have on mind that official rating of the hotel is 2 starts only! my family and I took an apartment and it was quite large. Both rooms were big (however, bed in one was converted sofa) and we had TV (small screen, so we had to sit pretty close to
it to watch opening of London olympic games), fridge and AC. Sliding doors are separating two rooms. It all was very much basic, with squeeky doors, old wall to wall closet (but it was huge!). However, room was clean and comfortable. We have heard other guests complaining on the size of the rooms, so obviously there is a big difference if more people are staying in a regular room. Staff was very kind and helpful. We had half-board, breakfast is a buffet style. There is a choice of butter, jam, spread cheese, salami, sausages or hot dogs, boiled eggs or fired eggs, machines for hot drinks (I liked their taste) and choice of teas and infusions. Bread was very fresh and tasty. However, no fruits or fresh vegetables. For dinner you are offered a night before to choose between two or three meals, one meal was always sea food or fish. Meals are roughly repeated every 7 days. They were always tasty and of reasonable size. As an enry soup is served and as a dessert cake, ice cream or fruit are offered (however, you cannot choose as you get what is offered that night). There is salad bar so you can help yourself as much as you like. Prices of beer (Ozujsko, 1/2 liter 15 kunas or house wine (local wine from island) 2 dl 16 kunas) were great. hen weather is nice, you can eat on the terrace under the pine trees, you hardly can see the sea but anyhow it is very enjoyable. Hotel has a pizzeria and lovely beach is just under the hotel. As there are only two elevators, when food time comes you may prefer to go by stairs, especially if you are not several floors away (restaurant is on the 3rd floor). Be prepared on many stairs anyhow as when hotel was built, requirements for disabled simly did not exist. Even with the luggage, coming from a hotel parking, you have to go down the stairs one floor to get to the reception. Hotel itself is maybe 7 minutes walk from the center of Komiza, and you walk though lovely narrow street surrounded by the stone houses. There is a kind of a fitness and massage center belongijng to the hotel, however we never bodered to use it. During the nights it was pretty noisy, to the contraty to our expectations, as many young people would hang around the beach singing and lodly talking. Most of the rooms, but not all, have a sea view. Yes, it is run down, old, but kept clean while we were there and I would say it deserves more than official two stars. We would not mind coming again. We got a discount for payment in cash.

Room Tip: Hard to say, do check if the room has AC, if you can afford ask for apartment (but there are only 4...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Filotije
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

The conditions in hotel are basic, but everyone does his job great, begining from receptionist ladies, who are ready to help you with any of your problem. The service and food in restourant is great. For dinner you have up to choice fish, meat or pasta. The fish is excellent and different everyday. The breakfasts are the same but good enough. The worst thing about breakfast - no good coffee, but you can have it in bar (not good as well) or in nearby cafes. Cleaning service is very good. The conditioneer is extra 30 kunas per day and wi-fi is extra 20 kunas per 30 min as well - the things that should be free of charge nowadays.
Altogether place is one of the most beautiful I've ever see, sea and beach is peaceful and NOT overcrowed even in high seasons (we visited in the middle of July 12). And long and difficult trip to the island is worth to be done!
I'd like to visit this place again. Love you, Komiza!!!

Room Tip: ask one with balcony and seaside, it is also extra. Sometimes it is noisy in the evening till midnig...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vis
Hotel Issa
Apartments Sole
#6 of 18 in Komiza
The Sea House Apartments
Apartments Elena & Damir

Been to hotel Bisevo? Share your experiences!