“An excellent surprise! Extremely clean & friendly staff”

Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
MI
“An excellent surprise! Extremely clean & friendly staff”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My stay was short as it was for business the next morning. It was my first visit to this hotel and the city of Muskegon. I was shocked that a hotel decorated in such ornate, antique fashion was so impeccably clean! The lobby, common areas and business center had a lot of charm and old flavor.

My room was booked under the company's room block and had no issues with check-in. The clerk was extremely friendly and attentive. When I got to my 6th floor room, neither key would work. I went back down, the clerk fixed it immediately and even accompanied me to my room to be sure they worked this time. Nice.

The room was perfectly clean, the furniture had a solid, antique feel. It was very quiet, not even noise from the elevator right outside my room. There was a microwave, coffee maker, fridge and sink — basically a mini-kitchenette. The desk area was very useful with enough outlets, a comfortable desk chair and free (fast) Wi-Fi to do online work. The bed was comfortable with plush comforters and sheets with soft and firm pillows. The only issue was the heating/cooling system. The digital thermostat was great, but the vents were extremely loud every time the heat would kick in.

The bathroom was sparkling clean and had nice upgrades like spa shower gel and a makeup remover towelette.The bathroom didn't have a tub in it, but they make you aware of that on the website.

I didn't visit the indoor pool, but it looked very organized, clean and inviting.

I was most impressed with the free breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, yogurts, fruit cups, waffles, assorted breads, cereals, various juices, milks, coffees, teas. Most of the food is in the bar area, but be sure to walk into the dining room for more choices! Everything was well stocked and clean with plenty of variety including tortillas and toppings for breakfast burritos,

You have to walk a little bit uphill to get to the hotel and in the winter, with slippery snow on the ground, this was left to be desired. You also have to walk outside to get to the restaurant.

Besides being so well-kept, the other high impression was the friendliness of the staff. I'm not sure if one can be "over-friendly", but if so, they did it! Every time I passed a maid, clerk or maintenance person they ALWAYS greeted me or even struck up conversation. They made you feel like they were genuinely happy that you were there. That really made me feel welcome.

I only wish I had more time to enjoy this fantastic hotel! Maybe I'll make a weekend leisure trip back to Muskegon!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Turkoize
Islidem, General Manager at Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Turkoize, We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and everything and everyone you experienced was fantastic and made your stay great. We strive everyday to make sure our entire team is friendly and accommodating and our guest rooms and public areas spot on. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers and us. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Englewood, Colorado
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Wonderful view of Lake Muskegon and well maintained facility. Easy to find as it clearly stands out in the Muskegon skyline. Many great places to visit within minutes of the hotel, or the hotel itself offers great choices. The only complaint is the heating and cooling was incredibly loud and woke us four or five times during the night. Top notch breakfast as well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Islidem, General Manager at Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
A2Keith, it was a pleasure getting your feedback of your stay with us. Thank you for allowing us to be part of your time away. I do apologize for the heating system being loud and I will be sure to let our Maintenance Department look into the noise that you experienced. Sounds like you two had a great time with the shops Downtown Muskegon and we are happy we were able to provide you with a great jump start to your days with our Savory Hot Breakfast each morning. We hope to see you again soon when you travel this way next!
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Very nice hotel. Clean, updated and friendly staff. Room was quiet - I had the best night sleep I have ever had in a hotel. Breakfast was good - opened at 6:00 am which is what we needed for an early start. We also ate dinner at the restaurant next door and the food was excellent. This hotel would be a nice location for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Islidem, General Manager at Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
AnnieSueWho, thank you for the great feedback that you shared. We are very pleased that you were able to enjoy our hot breakfast in the morning, dinner at the Lake House Waterfront Grille, as well as getting a good nights sleep! Thank you again for sharing with other travelers your great experience and we hope to see you again very soon!
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I spent a post-Valentines getaway here and really enjoyed the hotel. The room was very clean--she particularly noticed that the comforter seem freshly washed. The full refrigerator and Keurig instead of a regular coffeemaker were pleasant surprises. (Wish I'd known there was a Keurig . . . would have brought some pods. Kinda surprised that they did not sell a variety of pods in the gift shop. There were a few in the room but just "plain" coffee) The 9th-floor view was very nice, even in winter. The breakfast was great. There was a full hot breakfast on the bar, and after we filled our plates, discovered lots more choices in the dining room! Bacon was a extra touch that I don't usually find in hotel breakfast buffets. All the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Islidem, General Manager at Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
JDN27, thank you so much for your feedback regarding your Valentine's stay. We are very pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your time here as well as our guest amenities such as our Keurig Coffee Makers, Hot Breakfast and bedding options. We love your idea about selling additional Keurig Pod options in the gift shop! Thank you for that idea and we hope to see you again very soon!
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Very displeased. Booked my room prior to my stay for Valentines weekend. My room was suppose to be booked with a valentine package, it wasn't due to staff error. I find this out after I checked in. Desk clerk told me my rose, bottle of wine, glasses, chocolate, and dining credit would be in my room and it wasn't. I went back to the front desk and let the lady know. She said well it wasn't booked like that, you didn't pay for it, and it's nothing I can do. I asked to speak to the manager, she said she was the manager. I told her I didn't like that and she got the stuff but not like she wanted to. The bar made me wait 10 mins for glasses and had to wash them. I finally made my way to the Watergrille to be told reservations were needed. We had to wait 2 hrs to eat. Then when we were seated we were placed in a conference room with no windows and seated on outdoor furniture. Overnight an invoice was placed in our room saying we owe $20 for the vday package. I was irratited and confused because I wasn't made aware that I had to pay for what they they fixed. Overall not happy! Suppose to be relaxing weekend.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank KTaylor912
Islidem, General Manager at Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
KTaylor912, thank you for your feedback on your stay. We apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay and causing it to not be as enjoyable as we strive for our guests to experience while staying with us. Any feedback that we receive is a way we can learn from and strive to provide better service and guest experiences, thank you for your time and we do hope to offer you a great guest experience again in the future.
Manistee, Michigan
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The Good: Hotel is beautiful, everything was very clean and in good working order. Nice little store for small food items, drinks, and toiletries you may have forgotten. Good continental breakfast. Bar was nice and convenient. Gorgeous views, we had a 6th floor corner room. The room was nice, although there was no bathroom fan....Very comfortable bed and pillows, and the kitchenette was a nice touch.

The Bad: I had used a credit card to hold my reservation. When I arrived I wished to pay cash. Without any consent, or even giving me a total bill first, the girl charged my card. She then got a manager to void the charge, claiming that it would be refunded immediately on my card. The manager, Tonya, then told me that with cash there is an extra $100 deposit. I did not have that much cash on me. So they charged my card again. The refund took an entire week to appear back in my bank account! Now, I understand that mistakes happen, but they were not apologetic at the time of check-in, nor when I called to notify them that my money was still not refunded. In fact, the "manager" tried to blame the entire situation on me. If the front desk girl wouldn't have run my card without consent in the first place, non of this would have happened. Customer service 101, be nice, be helpful and respectful. And if you've made a mistake, apologize! It is a gorgeous place, but I will never return. It's a shame they can't staff the place with friendly competent people.

Room Tip: High up corner rooms have gorgeous panoramic views
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Islidem, General Manager at Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Lisa, thank you for bringing the billing issues you had during your stay to our attention and as a management team, we apologize that this caused an inconvenience in your experience with us. It is very important as a team to receive feedback, positive or negative, so we can strive to offer our best to all guests in any situation. We are happy that you were able to enjoy some of our amenities we offer such as breakfast, views, in room kitchenettes and good sleep. We do hope to see you again as our guest so we can offer you a great experience with us!
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I have been staying here a lot for business. The beds are comfortable and all the rooms have a microwave and refrigerator. They have a good, not great little gift shop that has most of the things you may need to get you through the night and cover things you may have forgotten to bring. Room service is available from The Lake House restaurant next door. All of this is very nice is the summer.

That said, with the weather being terrible this past month there are some things that are not as comfortable. The parking is not very close to the building. Walking through the snow, and fighting the wind chill to the building is not always easy. The Lake House is not connected to the building, so you have to walk from the hotel. It is not a long walk and in the summer it is very pleasant. In the winter the same factors I mentioned above apply. However, recently they opened a bar inside the hotel. You can order food from the restaurant and they will bring it to you at the bar. We took advantage of that several times when the snow was piling up and the wind was whipping off the lake. Not having to go back outside to relax and have a meal was much more enjoyable. This was a great upgrade!

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a view of the lake it is worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
MITraveler, thank you for the great feedback on your stay and guest experience with us! We are happy that you had a great experience with our guest amenities as well as the Lake House Waterfront Grille located next door and the room service and lobby bar options provided for our guests. We do hope to see you in the summer so you can enjoy the patio waterfront dining in 70 - 80 degree weather!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muskegon
Holiday Inn Muskegon
#1 of 6 in Grand Haven
Comfort Inn Muskegon
Comfort Inn Muskegon
#7 of 12 in Muskegon

Been to Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Property: Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Address: 750 Terrace Point Rd, Muskegon, MI 49440-1100
Region: United States > Michigan > Muskegon County > Muskegon
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Kitchenette Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££
Hotel Class:3 star — Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member 3*
The Shoreline Inn, an Ascend Collection Hotel, is a full service, modern vintage themed, waterfront resort located on Muskegon Lake in Muskegon Michigan. Built new in 2002 and updated in 2013, the hotel features oversized rooms, floor to ceiling window walls, 1st class amenities, business level accommodations and spectacular views of Muskegon and Muskegon Lake. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Priceline, Choice Hotels, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Shoreline Inn At Terrace Point Hotel Muskegon