“4th of July / Family had a great time last year”
Review of Port City Princess

Port City Princess
Ranked #7 of 7 Tours in Muskegon
Type: City Tours, Tours
Reviewed 1 July 2014

my family (with a five and an eight year old) took last years 4th of july cruise and had a blast. I saw the negative review here of this 4th of july cruise and had to respond. we had so much fun that the kids requested to go back this year. the fireworks were terrific and we could see them easily because the boat kept turning in circles so everyone on each side had a view. the food was good and about what we expected for the cost. the appetizers were laid out in a real pretty display. the staff was friendly and even went hunting for cherry juice to make my kid a shirley temple. We are going again this year!

2  Thank Jeannie1011

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I dont consider myself a big fan of boats and being on the water but I had never been in Michigan before and it seemed the thing to do. (I saw the Lonely Planet review listing Michigan's Gold Coast ie: West Michigan/Lake Michigan as a #1 tourist attraction) I went on this boat for the luau cruise. The dancers were very talented and had many changes of costume. The dancers then encouraged us to get up and learn to hula, which my friend and I did and it was very fun. We were lucky to have a spectacular sunset. Good times.

1  Thank Spenser S
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We took a ride on this vessel for its evening cruise out into Lake Michigan. The narration of our trip was quite informative. Don't go for the food on the boat, just enjoy the ride and the sights. The vistas from the boat were what you might expect - coastline; but then out on Lake Michigan the waves got fairly fierce up to 8 foot, so that part of the trip was curtailed. The sunset was superb. I was able to capture the sinking sun sitting directly on top of the lighthouse - it has the look of a candle with the top of the lighthouse almost on fire. A great memory photo of a great boat ride.

5  Thank Bruce K
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We took my Parents 78 and 81 years old on the trip around the lake and out into Lake Michigan while they were visiting from Texas on August 8th 2013. They were concerned about access on the boat but found it very easy to get on and off the boat basically just walked on. They then wanted to go up on the upper deck which was quite easy with the stairs and rails. The trip was very interesting and we even ordered a couple of cold beers to enjoy. The staff was great we are looking forward to doing it again.

1  Thank Marty1960_13
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My wife and I decided to take the 4th of July Fireworks cruise and dinner on the Port City Princess. Unfortunately, the ship is just not designed for sightseeing in mind. For dinner, everyone is seated at tables, some tables on the lower deck with just windows to watch out of, and some table on the upper deck, with a little more open air to see from. We were seated on the lower deck and were concerned about how were going to watch the sunset and the fireworks. After asking several wait staff, we finally were told that the lower deck patrons would be allowed to sit in a small area on the upper bow of the ship. It certainly seemed like a make-shift solution. The chairs were a random collection of lawn chairs and temporary seating. If you sat, the railing was high enough it obscured your view of the shore. If you stood, people around you can't see. No matter where you sat, you did not have a 360 degree view of the area, so you could never see everything that you wanted. This was particularly bad during the fireworks. The ship captain decided to turn the ship in circles during the fireworks so everyone could view them...of course, this only means that each person got to see the fireworks only about a third of the time. This also made a number of people sick and we kept turning in circles during the evening. Dumb! On top of that, the food is only so-so. Our "All-American" buffet was not very good. Ham, smoked sausage, and bbq chicken with potato salad and cole slaw. Not nearly what you'd expect for a dinner cruise. Plus, they ran out of food for everyone! Unorganized and overpriced. For the $120 my wife and I paid, we could have celebrated our anniversary at a nice restaurant and a spot on the beach to watch the fireworks.

4  Thank jslong76
wildcanary1, Owner at Port City Princess, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Hello,
At the Port City Princess we take your input very seriously, after all, you are the reason we have been in business for 28 years. Our July 4th cruise is one that many people and families take year after year bc they love it so. However, we are very sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience and we've shared your review with our staff and have taken measures to improve. We know that there are going to be times that don't meet expectations but our goal is truly 100% satisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to share your input. Please contact portcityprincess@yahoo.com with any more information you'd like to share. Sylvia Precious, Owner