“Informative review”

A Victory Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
“Informative review”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

As soon as we walked in the hotel we knew it would be a terrible experience. The 2 front desk girls were ghetto. The woman was cussing in front of my toddler, there were smokers outside the front entrance, the hotel lobby was extremely hot and smelled like cigarette smoke. She didn't have my reservations, even though I had it pulled up paid on my smart phone. She said their elevators and pool were broken. Do we still want to stay? We asked where is the room where we will be staying? She said, fourth floor. We had luggage a and a child. We were tired, so we began to walk the poorly maintained hotel lobby and into the staircase. It was scary.... We got to the room, key machine would not work at first, finally did after several tries. We tried to open the main light switch and it would not work. The room was hot, beds were springy and hard, toilet would not flush and it smelled foul. We immediately walked back down. The girl that checked us in had an angry, defensive look on her face. Maybe she was expecting bad news since we had our luggages in tote. We told her what was wrong with the room, we'd like to leave and be refunded. She could care less that we were dissatisfied. It was a waste of a trip and giving this hotel more than 1 star would be inaccurate. Please, save yourselves and do not stay in this hotel. Spend the extra cash and go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Alpena, Michigan
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband and I booked a 2 night stay and have had nothing but a terrible experience-- and we have only been here one hour.

The experience started by driving to the hotel. The neighborhood is filled with closed businesses, bars on windows, and graffiti. Once you actually make it to the hotel, you run into a new series of problems. The front door of the hotel is locked shut, and the door inside is hanging by one hinge, Once you find the side door and make your way inside you will find the rudest attendant ever. She spent our entire check in on her cell phone getting a personal price quote.

Next, our room was on the second floor. However the elevators were out of order. While looking for the stairs, we noticed every ice machine had an "out of order" sign. The pool was out of order. The "spa" was out of order.

Upon entering our room (which looked like the door had been kicked in several times) we were disgusted to find mold in the bathrooms, unclean, stained, and unmade sheets and quilt on the bed. We actually went out into the hall to make sure we didn't accidentally wander into someone else's room. Alas, this was our assigned room.

There are bugs scurrying across the floor. There is someones dirty shirt laying in the corner of the hallways. There are urine stains on the sheets. And I was overcharged through your services. I am thoroughly disgusted with this entire experience... Did I mention I am on my honeymoon right now? I would prefer NOT to catch a disease from simply walking into my hotel.

The only reason I gave this hotel 1 circle for a rating was because TripAdvisor forced me to. I would have rather given it a 0. Absolutely disgusting.

Room Tip: Run away as fast as you can.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
West Branch, Michigan
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Where do I begin? The bed quilt was torn and stained, and I was welcomed to my room by a large roach crawling on my bed. The phone was missing most of its buttons and didn't work anyway. The tub has a constant leak, and both the tub and sink drains were broken. There were extra drain parts just sitting around, though. Let's see... The pool was closed, in fact - it was empty. One reason I had booked this hotel was to relax in the pool! Ice was only available on the second floor, but the elevators are out of order. Sorry about your luck if you're not on the main floor! I found someone's DVD on the floor from a previous stay, so apparently the room had not been vaccumed, especially near the broken couch. If I were really searching for something positive, I would commend the staff for keeping the A/C cranked up in the breakfast nook. It felt like a fridge, but at least it kept the milk cold. Speaking of searching, I finally managed to find a working outlet to plug in the clock radio after I moved my bed and the headboard.
If this were a Motel 6, I would be disgusted. But for $100 a night, I 'm absolutely appalled. Never again, Victory Inn. Never again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Northern Michigan
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This place was probably very nice many years ago, but it has been let go. Floors, counters, walls, lamps and tables dirty and/or in disrepair. The bottom of the door was probably more than an inch from the ground so we could hear EVERYTHING outside the door. There seemed to be a lot of questionable people "hanging around" all day, and I was very uncomfortable being there alone, especially hauling belongings from my car to the room and back.
I booked based on reading some decent reviews of the place and I am sorry that I did!
Elevator out of order and pool completely drained and out of use. The "free continental breakfast" was a joke, and the wi-fi was in and out.
The service checking in was very good but the following day (of check out), I had to leave the room for a while in the morning and there was no "do not disturb" sign to put on the door. When I called the desk to request that no one come in the room he couldn't give me a straight answer.
I checked the sheets as soon as I arrived (the one area I will not compromise on) and they seemed clean enough. I had booked on Expedia so I couldn't exactly change my mind at this point and request a refund.

Room Tip: Spend a few extra buck and stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

I am not sure why all of the bad reviews on here, but my experience was pleasant. I stayed June 27-31 and have NO complaints. The pool is out of service bc they are currently remodeling it. The wall paper could be re-done. Other than those things, the staff was VERY HELPFUL and nice. Anything I asked, they were very quick to help with. The breakfast was decent with plenty of milk. They went out of their way to keep me in my room when I extended my stay two extra days. I also got the entire weekend for WELL over HALF the rates of every other hotel I called. Next time I am in Muskegon, I will be staying in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Iamrunlola
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This hotel is absolutely disgusting. My family and I had booked it for 1 night just because all of the rooms in Grand Haven were taken and this was what we could get. As soon as we got there, there were at least 5 cars out front blasting explicit music and a couple fighting right infront of the door. The hotel also has this policy of you only have 15 minutes to check your room for anything unsatisfying which is about the amount of time it takes to eat up to your room. The elevator is an absolute death trap and barely works. Our room was filthy and the blankets had unidentifiable stain marks all over it and our floor remakes of marijuana. Do not recommend anyone ever staying here.

• Stayed June 2013