“Gross, Gross, Gross!!”

A Victory Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We don't live far away, but wanted a place to go overnight and to swim in the pool. This place cheap - $65 with tax. We got there and checked in and the front desk lady was nice. The room - AWFUL. There were stains on the walls, cobwebs ALL over the room, one head board was falling down (gross crusty stuff behind it), the cups had grime on the outside of the plastic covering, it was unbelievably dusty, and there was a TOE NAIL on the floor!! We decided to just swim a leave - the pool area was gross - there was a spot that looked like someone threw up and didn't clean it up. The pool was FULL of very loud kids, and was really cloudy/gross. We left immediately. The front desk lady just said "already?". No refund (didn't expect one), no apology. I will never stay here again..gross!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here! Disgusting!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MichGirl82

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel almost 2 years ago and we still have nightmares. We dream of slimy green stuff in the bathtub and the stinky humid scent in the room. Leave alone the filthy pool with green water and lots, lots of chlorine. All the bad reviews here are falling short. And the good one... He may have been on a different dream.... Or trip. Never going back again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Juanochicago
Reviewed 25 September 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We were having difficulty finding accommodation as everywhere seemed to be booked up. Eventually found this place via an internet booking site. I saw the bad reviews but decided that nowhere could be that bad and as this seemed to be the 'last chance hotel' I booked two nights.
When we arrived, we were immediately told that the lift was out of action and the pool was closed for 're-modelling'. Hadn't I heard this somewhere before? Those bad reviews came flooding back to mind. On seeing the room I realised the place was even worse than the reviews. The final straw was the mould growing on the filthy arm chair. We could not possibly stay here so we returned immediately to reception to cancel. The receptionist was outside smoking with various other members of staff and we had to wait ten minutes for her to return. Her 'matter of fact', 'couldn't care less' attitude suggested this was a regular occurrence.
We have stayed in the most primitive accommodation during our travels around the world but nothing was a bad as this. We were astonished to find such a filthy dump in the USA. If it were in the UK, the health inspector would probably close it down.
Please, please, please believe this and the other bad reviews. It is a dirty, filthy dump. I would not stay there if it was free!

Room Tip: Do not choose a room anywhere.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roy E
Reviewed 1 September 2013

As soon as we walked in the hotel we knew it would be a terrible experience. The 2 front desk girls were ghetto. The woman was cussing in front of my toddler, there were smokers outside the front entrance, the hotel lobby was extremely hot and smelled like cigarette smoke. She didn't have my reservations, even though I had it pulled up paid on my smart phone. She said their elevators and pool were broken. Do we still want to stay? We asked where is the room where we will be staying? She said, fourth floor. We had luggage a and a child. We were tired, so we began to walk the poorly maintained hotel lobby and into the staircase. It was scary.... We got to the room, key machine would not work at first, finally did after several tries. We tried to open the main light switch and it would not work. The room was hot, beds were springy and hard, toilet would not flush and it smelled foul. We immediately walked back down. The girl that checked us in had an angry, defensive look on her face. Maybe she was expecting bad news since we had our luggages in tote. We told her what was wrong with the room, we'd like to leave and be refunded. She could care less that we were dissatisfied. It was a waste of a trip and giving this hotel more than 1 star would be inaccurate. Please, save yourselves and do not stay in this hotel. Spend the extra cash and go elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband and I booked a 2 night stay and have had nothing but a terrible experience-- and we have only been here one hour.

The experience started by driving to the hotel. The neighborhood is filled with closed businesses, bars on windows, and graffiti. Once you actually make it to the hotel, you run into a new series of problems. The front door of the hotel is locked shut, and the door inside is hanging by one hinge, Once you find the side door and make your way inside you will find the rudest attendant ever. She spent our entire check in on her cell phone getting a personal price quote.

Next, our room was on the second floor. However the elevators were out of order. While looking for the stairs, we noticed every ice machine had an "out of order" sign. The pool was out of order. The "spa" was out of order.

Upon entering our room (which looked like the door had been kicked in several times) we were disgusted to find mold in the bathrooms, unclean, stained, and unmade sheets and quilt on the bed. We actually went out into the hall to make sure we didn't accidentally wander into someone else's room. Alas, this was our assigned room.

There are bugs scurrying across the floor. There is someones dirty shirt laying in the corner of the hallways. There are urine stains on the sheets. And I was overcharged through your services. I am thoroughly disgusted with this entire experience... Did I mention I am on my honeymoon right now? I would prefer NOT to catch a disease from simply walking into my hotel.

The only reason I gave this hotel 1 circle for a rating was because TripAdvisor forced me to. I would have rather given it a 0. Absolutely disgusting.

Room Tip: Run away as fast as you can.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Where do I begin? The bed quilt was torn and stained, and I was welcomed to my room by a large roach crawling on my bed. The phone was missing most of its buttons and didn't work anyway. The tub has a constant leak, and both the tub and sink drains were broken. There were extra drain parts just sitting around, though. Let's see... The pool was closed, in fact - it was empty. One reason I had booked this hotel was to relax in the pool! Ice was only available on the second floor, but the elevators are out of order. Sorry about your luck if you're not on the main floor! I found someone's DVD on the floor from a previous stay, so apparently the room had not been vaccumed, especially near the broken couch. If I were really searching for something positive, I would commend the staff for keeping the A/C cranked up in the breakfast nook. It felt like a fridge, but at least it kept the milk cold. Speaking of searching, I finally managed to find a working outlet to plug in the clock radio after I moved my bed and the headboard.
If this were a Motel 6, I would be disgusted. But for $100 a night, I 'm absolutely appalled. Never again, Victory Inn. Never again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo