“Worse than camping!”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
mishawaka, in
“Worse than camping!”
Reviewed 23 July 2007

Check-in was very slow, the staff were unprofessional, they talked to each other more than guests. Hotel was dated but seemed at least clean. T.V. worked for ten minutes, then shut off and started smoking. It took a.c. unit at least 7 hours to bring room temperature to a bearable level. Then shower head was broken, it was comparable to taking a shower in a drinking fountain. Drain in shower was stuck also. When I told manager about problems next morning, he gave no response. I would have been satisfied with a "I'll look into fixing those problems". I expected a decent functional hotel room for $139.95.

• Liked — quiet
  • Disliked — broken tv, shower, and air conditioning
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank cassie3449

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Michigan
Reviewed 8 July 2007

This hotel has made such a HUGE improvement according to the reviews listed. I was expecting this hotel to be the absolute worst, but it wasn't. The room was very nice and clean and the furniture looked just as nice. I was put on the 4th floor and I don't know if this makes a difference, but it was a great room. I will be honest and say that the hallways were very warm and the ice machines on floors 2-4 didn't work; had to go to the 1st floor for ice. The only other thing I wish I would have called down to the office for was the air conditioner in the room. Since we got in late, the room had been really warm all day and we figured it would take a bit for the room to cool down, but it never really did; even after resetting the air conditioner. It was a little uncomfortable to get a good night's sleep, but we were so tired that we just didn't feel like dealing with calling and having to wait for someone to come up and fix it. The free breakfast is your typical continental thing, so you're better off getting something on the road. Overall though, I really liked this place and it was such a cheap find. Great location for food and for state parks and not too far to the beach!

• Liked — The overall look and welcoming decor.
  • Disliked — the poorly working air conditioner
  • Stayed July 2007
3 Thank 4sparkle
michigan
Reviewed 19 March 2007

After I booked the reservations from hotels.com, I read some reviews and was a little nervous about what I had gotten myself into. However, it really wasn't too bad of a stay, considering it was only $50. The lobby looked very nice. It looked like the "nightclub/bar" was closed and had been for some time. Although we requested a smoking room, we were given a non-smoking room; when I brought this to their attention, they said, "Oh, it doesn't matter; you can still smoke, and here are some ashtrays." Makes me feel bad for people who want a truly non-smoking room. The elevator was dingy and the fourth floor smelled a little funky. The room was clean. There was a hair dryer and an iron and ironing board. The fridge was clean and the heater worked wonderfully. The cable cord going into the back of the tv was loose, which made the picture fuzzy every couple minutes, so we had to rig it up with a folded up envelope. We didn't look at the pool and we didn't eat the continental breakfast, so I can't make a note on either of those things. Overall, though, it wasn't a bad stay...I think I was expecting a lot worse from the other reviews I read on this site. If you don't want anything special and aren't too picky or anal, I would recommend staying here. It's clean and the staff are friendly.

• Liked — Inexpensive
  • Disliked — Minor concerns (loose tv cable, dingy elevator, etc)
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jeanjo
michigan
Reviewed 19 February 2007

Thought I booked two rooms at a Best Western. Walked through the door and should of walked back out. What a mess.. Broken elevators.. Broken ice machines.. Broken sauna... Horrible smell on the third floor.. No heat in our room.. Highly not recommended!

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank pratt17450
Winnipeg, MB
Reviewed 4 September 2006

Booked our stay via the Best Western website.
I forgot to check tripadvisor for this location, and paid dearly for it.
We are on the return leg of a 3 week holiday, and have used Best Western Hotels for each stay in different locations. Furthermore, we travel regularly and are goldcrownclub members of Best Western.
We selected this hotel as a last resort, since we needed a place to stay overnite prior to boarding the Lake Express ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee.
The Park Plaza Best Western hotel in Muskegon, Michigan is one of the worst hotels we have stayed in over the last 5 years. The place is extremely run down and dingy. The carpets throughout the hotel halls are dirty and in many paces torn. The carpet in the room was dirty, not vacumed and torn in two places. The corners of the room were dust collectors. The bathroom was extremely tiny and had a broken showerhead.
The pool is a joke, and looked dirty as well. I walked out as I did not want to take a chance with the water.
We did not try the continental breakfast, as we were afraid to touch anything prepared by the people who run this hotel.
Do not gauge this hotel by the photos on their website, as these photos have been doctored and do not represent the reality of this place.
I will lodge a complaint with the corporate Best Western Hotels, as this place does not deserve to carry the Best Western logo.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — very dirty location
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away from this place
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jomoud
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 21 August 2006

Don’t bother! The hotel is very run down and the images on the internet are very misleading. The room was clean, but obviously the whole place is in need of a renovation. The elevator was like a mine shaft, the carpet throughout the hotel was trashed, the soft goods in the room need to be replaced, breakfast was an absolute joke, and the pool was not impressive. We paid $89 a night and could have spent less and gotten the same thing from a cheap motel. First and last time we’ll ever stay in a Best Western.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank cara704
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 April 2006

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past because of an arrangement made by my employer. This was the first time I have completely enjoyed my stay.

In the past, I could see that the housekeeping staff were trying to keep up with things, but seemed to be fighting a losing battle. The maintainance crew must not have been on full hours or else needed to go back to school and the front desk employees ... well there was a great deal lacking.

This trip, however, was a complete change. Although carpeting needs replacing in places, and there are items that need to be repaired or tossed... there is a great improvement in all areas.

Everywhere I looked, I could see that there is a different attitude in the hotel staff. The rooms, although clean in the past, are much nicer now. Everything worked and my wakeup was done by a human. The front desk staff were very friendly and went above the call of duty with helping me to find a place to eat in the area since the attached restaurant is currently out of business.

Talking with the Front Desk Manager when I checked out, after I commented on how nice everything was this trip, he told me that there was a change in the hotel' manager and that she was doing a great job in trying to get the hotel back up to the standards it should have been in the last few years.

I agree with him. She has made a tremendous stride in bringing this hotel up from the lower level. Still has a long way to go, but if this trip is any indication, I have no doubt she will take this hotel there.

And my daughter wants me to say that the pool is absolutely wonderful and the people so nice. She is a pretty tough critic... so 2 thumbs up to this hotel in Muskegon Michigan. I will be back!

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muskegon
Travelodge Muskegon
Rodeway Inn Muskegon
Rodeway Inn Muskegon
#6 of 12 in Muskegon
Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights
Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon H...
#2 of 2 in Muskegon Heights

Been to A Victory Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!