“Never Again”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This was a very bad experience. The breakfast area was being renovated, so one of the rooms was where the breakfast was laid out, but, since there was no place to sit and eat, we took our food back to our room. The trip was to tend to family business, so we spent the entire day away from the hotel, returning in the early evening to a room that had not been serviced. Bed wasn't made, trash (including our breakfast dishes) was not picked up. I reported this to the front desk, but they couldn't locate housekeeping, so other than more coffee and a fresh towel, nothing was done about it. The ait=r conditioner didn't work. Around 2:30 the "guests" in the room next to ours decided to come in after a night of heavy drinking. The door slamming, cursing, yelling, starting their cars with the lights shining into our windows went on until around 4:30 AM. And there was a smell of cigarette smoke coming from the room (the entire hotel is no smoking). We reported all of this the next morning and received a slight ($10) discount to the room rate, but no apology. Because each hotel is individually owned, the parent coprporation has little say when patrons have a bad experience. Think twice about staying at this location.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Connie G

Reviewed 5 June 2012

We recently stayed at this Comfort Inn despite some of the negative traveler reports. We were pleasantly surprised. Our room was clean and in good condition. The common areas of the hotel are undergoing renovation, so I will not comment on these areas as they are not finished at this time. The staff was very friendly and accommodating even though they had a large group renting the conference facility and were obviously very busy on that Saturday afternoon. The indoor pool looked great for children, and we (two older adults) were able to enjoy a glass of wine by the outdoor pool without any interruption. It is a great location for a visit to Michigan's Adventure as well as kayaking on the Muskegon River.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put in a room which is adjacent to the indoor pool area, as there will be a noise issu...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This is, overall, a decent hotel, not great, but decent. Good sized rooms and mostly clean. They are in the middle of a renovation - April 2012. Some of the items I mention possibly relate to that renovation. I have stayed more than once. There is a restaurant - Chinese buffet style - right next door, about 50 yards from the lobby entrance Good food. There is plenty of shopping right nearby including office supplies. Cleanliness is OK, and could be improved. This really is not a good location for a vacation. Reasonable price and accomodations for a business hotel.

Two main problems: 1) the internet was very slow and tough to log in. That might have been affected by the renovation. Also, this is not a 4G wireless location so wireless connection is not the best. The lack of 4G is NOT the fault of the hotel. 2) there were some odd odors, including a musty aroma that I am quite sure were not work in progress smells. That is, they were not paint, sealant, rug adhesive, cleaning agent etc. It is possible the musty smells were from water leaks that resulted from the work being done. So, that should not be held against this location until the renovation is complete. Work should be done by late summer 2012.

Decent check in personnel, though one was much better, more 'with-it' than the other. Great parking, decent breakfast - though breakfast area affected by the renovation.
There is also a pretty good looking indoor pool and some amenities which I did not get to check in detail. I make trips to this area and will check in to this location again, unless the internet is still a problem.

Room Tip: if possible, check to see if the internet is working before checking in.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank figit
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Nasty conditions on my first stay prompted me to contact hotel. (pictures attaced) I received a voucher for a free stay and then when i used the voucher, they actually charged me. When i called to get my money refunded, a week and a half later I actually received a call back and was told by the General Manager that she couldn't find my voucher and there were no notes in my file, so she couldn't help me. WILL NEVER STAY AGAIN!! Keep my money, and if I can detour anyone from staying than it's worth it!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Delta0225
Reviewed 8 April 2012

It's been about seven years since I stayed at this hotel last, and it was middle of the road then. I almost didn't stay here because the more recent reviews hit it pretty hard, but it was a three minute drive to job site, so staying here made sense. They're remodeling the place right now, so at least some money is being put into the property. The location is not bad. It's right of Sherman Blvd, and US-31, but making a left out of there can be a bit tricky when Sherman is busy. There are a few food options around (the Red Wok Chinese buffet right out front is very good.) There are a few stores nearby, so there is access to shopping to pick up any necessities. The room itself was okay. It did need a little maintenance (like the starting to peel wallpaper). Everything in the room worked and the TV was a new HD. Also, there was a good selection of channels on the TV. The breakfast was mediocre. I saw in another review that there was meat at the breakfast. They didn't have any out when I was there. There area couple of knocks on the place. The price seems a little high for the Muskegon area. It's not a $90 a night room, and the prices go higher in the summer season. Also, beware of the dreaded safe deposit! That will stay on your bill if you don't catch it! All in all, it wasn't bad, but it didn't jump out at me in any way. I would probably stay there again.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of gear, they do not have an elevator. Shoot for first floor in that case.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank travelbobKalamazoo
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I travel the country every week for a living & have seen it all in the hotel industry. I'm not a complainer. I could sleep in my car & be fine, so my opinion is normally indifferent. But, this Comfort Inn was rather sub-par. The staff was quite friendly, helpful & very accommodating. Customer service is what counts with me & they did that part well, but the room wasn't clean. Bathroom had hair in it that wasn't mine, & the breakfast was pretty lame. They could also use a face-lift inside the building. This isn't 1975. Just being honest.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank James P
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Take it from me, DO NOT STAY HERE! The property manager is never at the site. The staff shouldn't be trusted, hot tub is the temp of the pool and I couldn't even imagine to describe the temp of the pool. On top of it the rates they charge for a room during the summer is through the roof. We went swimming and had to tell the front desk several times about the pool temp over the course of a two night stay and NOTHING was done about it. Take it from me, spend the extra money and get your money's worth and stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!! If you have to stay here, stay on the right side and towards the front of th...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family