“Great Value for a Great Hotel”

Holiday Inn Muskegon
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Reviewed 23 September 2012

A very fair price for a downtown hotel. All of the staff (the front desk, the bar staff, restaurant staff) were all terrific and very helpful. Rooms were clean and well maintained. The buffet breakfast was terriic as well.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed there a couple weeks ago and have vowed to only stay there whenever we visit Muskegon! The staff was beyond wonderful!!! Very clean rooms, beautiful view etc! Staying there helped make our lil getaway complete!!! A big SHOUTOUT to the amazing Front Desk Clerk Renee' as well as the night security gaurd! You two Rock!!!! Hope to see you soon! Your Indiana Friends- Deana & Fred H. :)

Reviewed 8 September 2012

Called from Houston airport, was quoted a price. Arrived the rude front desk agent at 5pm would not honor, I had not made a reservation only checked rates and availability. I was told I would have no problem. Holiday Inn agent not only lost the revenue of our night stay, also dinner and breakfast in their restaurant. I felt sorry for the male agent working with her. Everything is customer service and for only a few dollars she lost us. I shall make sure I pass the word. As untold her I had just spent 2 nights at a HI and had no problem. HI needs to review her service

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Dear Janisue R,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. I am disappointed to hear about your experience . I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the staff service received.

I wish to thank you for your valuable comments as this is our best resource of improving guest services.

Pam G.
IHGCare

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Muskegon over Labor Day weekend. We checked in around 10pm Friday night and had no problems. We requested a refridgerator and a microwave, and both were provided immediately. The room was ok. Way too much space... Seemed like something was missing. The sheets were dirty and and bathroom had hair all over it. We ate at the restaurant a few times for dinner and breakfast... Both were average. I wouldn't stay here again if we come back to Muskegon. The pictures on the website do not even come close to the actual look of the rooms!! The service was great though!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear bkade1987,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to write your review of our hotel. I am pleased that you have received great service from our staff. However, I am sorry that we fell below your expectations. Rest assured that your comments about the sheets and the bathroom have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Janice A
IHG Care

Reviewed 4 September 2012

First off, let me say I was pleasantly surprised by how well maintained the Holiday Inn is in Muskegon. It's in a very nice area next to the theatre and within walking distance of the arena and some nice restaurants. The rooms were okay, decent wi-fi for free, clean, and serviceable. Nice lobby, bar, restaurant and good initial service.

There are a couple of "howevers" - a) The room, because it was a labor day weekend was horribly overpriced at double the usual rate and because the hotel was totally full - they apparently made a killing so it justified the increase I suppose. b) They need a new satellite service or wiring. While I don't go to hotels to watch TV, it was a college football kickoff weekend and the cable/satellite was snowy and popped in and out in the entire building including the bar. Needs to be fixed.

One other note: On our second night an entire family, parents and kids from teen to 3 were running the halls until 1:30 a.m, screaming and yelling for what seems like two hours plus. Why they weren't in their room was beyond me. Two calls downstairs to the desk and a personal reminder to the group of what time it was didn't seem to matter. It was pretty obvious the front desk person didn't really care. Ruined a night we needed to get some sleep because we had to be up at 5:30 a.m. for a fishing trip that morning.

Room Tip: Tell them you don't want to be stuck in front of the elevators like we were.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed here for business this past August and thought this was a pleasant stay. I didn't venture out by foot, but the surrounding area didn't appear to have much to head towards. My window view showed the water very very far away, so I wouldn't choose this location if you want to have a shore-view! There's nothing special about the outside but I found the inside of the hotel to be nicely decorated. The breakfast buffet was pretty good, all the basic hot items as well as fresh cut fruit salad and cereals. The waitstaff were excellent both days, encouraging me to order a second beverage because 'all beverages are included'. Coffee was excellent service was great. If you are a Priority Club member the breakfast buffet is free-certainly can't complain about that! I think the regular price for the buffet was only $5.95 or something so very reasonable. (join PC-it's free to join and the Buffet will be free!) Parking was free-the main lot filled up rather quickly, but I believe there was an additional lot available below. I thought it was odd that an Express didn't have a mini-Frige or a microwave but when I had asked about this they had these available upon request. When I checked in, they immediately brought these up to my room. Room is really big; it almost seemed like more furniture would have fit-but this meant there was no problem fitting the Frige and microwave. I didn't pay for the room but it was a very reasonable rate. I used the fitness room one time-elliptical and treadmill as well as a decent sized indoor pool. Overall I thought this place was nice!

Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed here in August for a business trip. The location (at least in my opinion) was horrible. Nothing is close by especially if you are travelling with a family and want to go shopping in a mall. It was a 30 minute roundtrip commute to get to the mall. It is close to Lake Michigan though.

Customer service was atrocious. I often heard other guests complaining to the same front desk personell. Upon my arrival I went into my room and noticed my TV only had 8 channels with horrible picture quality. I went to use my desk phone and it did not work. So I had to call the front desk from my cell phone. She had the nerve to tell me my phone must be working because I am calling her from in. In any event she dispatched maintenance who took 50 minutes to arrive. By the time he did I had fixed the TV myself and he attempted to fix my hotel phone - FAIL. It magically started working the day I left.

Bed was comfortable, sheets and blanket were not. Air conditioning was extremely loud and rattled through the night often waking me up.

Be warned - breakfast is NOT included in most rates and the bar/restaurant is overpriced and delivers even worse customer service.

For the rate I paid this place is overpriced and definitely not worth the stress. I will not be staying at this hotel anymore. They need a visit from Gordon Ramsey.

1  Thank dabears-mv81
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2012

Dear dabears-mv81,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experience during your stay and I regret you received unacceptable service from our front desk staff. I will follow up with the front office to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we thank you for sharing your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B