“Not impressed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Harbor Beach, Michigan
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Hotel appears clean and very nice upon entry. We could not find our room because there was not a room number outside of our room. Then we went to lock the door and see there is only half of top lock so hopefully we will be safe tonight. Unfortunately we booked the hotel for two nights. The pool is small and very cold. The whirlpool is very very small only one jet works and is the hottest whirlpool I have ever been in. It is definitely not worth the price.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear luvmy3kids_inHB,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding cleanliness.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the swimming pool and the whirlpool. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Commerce Township, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I did expect much better quality from the hotel. It's outdated and needs a face lift. Our entrance door would not open without a good push. Sink plug was broken. Breakfast buffet, which was not included, was just OK. Not enough food to feed all people on Saturday morning. Quality was bad as well. For $200 per night I would never ever stay there again.

Room Tip: I am not sure this hotel has a good room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Black_Chai,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am truly sorry to hear that the food served during your travel did not live up to your expectations on some aspects of your stay. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the manager on duty.

Karen G.
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

This hotel was on the whole OK but there was one incident which really let it down. The fire alarms went of late afternoon and our experience is that you leave the building via the stairs as quickly as you can. We went out to the hallway and there was a housekeeper. We asked what was happening and she carried on with her work and said "I don't know" we asked what we should do and she said "I don't know, it's probably just a test". We went downstairs and out of the hotel, we and one other couple were the only ones. Alarm is still going off, I asked reception what their practice was and she said it's probably just a test, however technicians and the hotel manager were running around looking like they didn't know what was happening. I suggested that people could die if they stayed in their rooms and there was a fire and she replied no they wouldn't, we would tell them if there was a real fire. I have to ask how would you tell them? If the fire alarms don't mean that, would you ring every guest room. Bizarre really, we figured the hotel policy is that if there's a fire you should stay in your room that way its easier to identify your body later on! By the way, restaurant was pretty average also.

Room Tip: breakfast not included in the room rate, ask if they have a fire evacuation policy, not just if ther...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Dear Lucy H,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. It is our goal to ensure our guests’ satisfaction is met with the excellence of service you expect. I apologize for the issues you encountered with the fire alarm and level of staff service. Your comments are important to us to ensure we are constantly focused on improving our service and we hope we can demonstrate to you our commitment to value and service.

Thank you again for bringing the details of your stay to our attention. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

Zelyn N
Pecatonica, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

When I pulled up to the hotel I was very disappointed by the outside appearance. It was very dated. Inside the lobby was nice and the front desk staff were pleasant. I received a room on the 7th floor. The room was nicely decorated but there was a portable air conditioner with a big exhaust hose on it. I settled in for about 45 minutes but the air conditioner had a smell and it as not good. I called the front desk and they were able to switch me to a new room which was better smelling. She even gave me a couple free drink tickets for the bar. I met a coworker for dinner at the bar/restaurant. Wait staff was very friendly and the food was great.
The only other comments regarding the room was that the bathroom was very tiny! Also my wake-up call did not happen. I always set my alarm clock too but it old have been bad.

Room Tip: You might a glimpse of the bay if you are high enough up.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PamelaSueB
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear PamelaSueB,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. It is very nice to know that you liked the food that was served and found the desk staff pleasant. However, please accept my sincerest apologies for the air conditioning issue you experienced. I understand the discomfort this caused you. This issue will be addressed immediately. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Karen G.
Liberty
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

I travel for business most of the time and don't require luxury, just safety and convenience, plus modest cost. This hotel fulfilled my requirements. It is easily-accessed from major roads, not hard to find, has adequate parking (some of it is underground). The facility is dated but clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. My membership status got certificates for free breakfast at the restaurant, which was very good, and a discount for other meals. The restaurant menu was good and the food was modestly-priced and of good quality. The room was quiet, clean, roomy. Only downer was that the water pressure in the shower was anemic; fifth floor room probably didn't help that.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank n9jfpoppy
Winchester, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Just happened to read the review before mine from 5/25 and I would bet the same woman that was rude to his party also checked me in. We checked in after 10pm and somebody earlier summed it up....she wasn't rude, but she wasn't welcoming at all. You would think a requirement to working the front desk would be somebody that has a pleasant, warm attitude. On the other hand, when we checked out Sunday morning both of the ladies at the front desk was everything the previous employee wasn't.

But anyways, on to the rest of the stay. Something I always look for first is the parking situation. This property has plenty of parking right next to it and also across the street and they don't charge which is a good thing. Walking in the lobby is very nice and it really gets your hopes up that your room will be that nice. The property is a bit dated and the room reflects that. It was clean but very average looking.

I got the room off of Priceline and would never consider paying full price thru the actual hotel. One night was enough for me.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank banjo60
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear banjo60,

Thank you for your feedback. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments regarding the front desk is very much appreciated. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you would give us a chance to show what we have done.

Connie D
Jackson, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here during a get away weekend that we were really looking forward to. I was rather disappointed to find my platinum status wasn't necessarily recognized to the extent it is at other hotels we stay at. The room was definitely dated and the bathroom was very small. The desk staff were friendly, but several members of the wait staff were down right rude, to the point we nearly checked out after a rather rude exchange with a woman working in the restaurant. The true shining stars of this hotel is Karen working in the restaurant and Travis working in the bar. These two individuals made up for the other rather poor staff and rooms that I considered sub par for Holiday Inn

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gregw357
Dear gregw357,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. There is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. I have taken note of your kind comments towards Karen and Travis. These have been forwarded to their respective departments for commendation.

It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations to all of our guests. In this regard, I am truly disappointed to read of the shortcomings you experienced and the less than satisfactory service you received from some of our staff.

Please be assured that each of the points you've raised in this review will be looked into and actions will be taken accordingly.

Joel B