“Clean rooms but service was ill prepared”

Holiday Inn Muskegon
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed the evening of August 15th and was awakened in the middle of the night (3:30AM) just like rbechill's review had noted earlier. And having been through a few fire drills in my time I knew the routine for getting the heck out of a hotel quickly and calmly. Along with many of the other gathered guests that stood outside I was shocked to see the lack of authority there. No police officers, no fire marshall, and barely anyone there to take charge of the situation- even when the all clear was given. I was hoping to see a badged employee at the top of their lungs re-assuring everyone that it had been a false alarm or maybe even a security guard offering some sort of comfort and understanding to being awakened in this manner. Afterwards many guest milled around the lobby clueless as to whether they could even use the elevators or not. Again, where was guest services to direct people back to their rooms?

The rooms themselves were fine in creature comforts and our room was neat as a pin so kudos goes out to housekeeping. Our only displeasure with the rooms themselves was the lack of sound proofing. Even though we were on the 7th floor, we could still hear street noise from the back parking lot!

We wanted a nice quiet restful night but were denied on several levels. The amenities were there but we just couldn't get the rest we craved.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Smogboy315
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Smogboy315,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding housekeeping.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service and the lack of authorities during the fire drill We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I'm sure that management will comment below that they will address this issue but so far, three other people have had this same issue in the past 6 months on tripadvisor so management has NOT addressed ANY issues. At 3:30 am the fire alarm sounded. Evidently someone had pulled the fire alarm on the fifth floor and police were called and the person escorted out. I was outside during the time they said this and did not see one police car or fire truck. The first night we stayed was very pleasant. The second night is when everything fell apart with the fire alarms going off, staff having absolutely NO CLUE what was going on or what to do. Staff the next morning was very unhelpful as far as compensating all people who were woken up that night as they said it wasn't their fault....fine I get it. But, it wasn't my fault either. Steam room was broken both days. Was going to stay another night as the first night was great, but cancelled my third day as did many patrons of this hotel due to the lack of empathy and information regarding the nights events. Billing issues and lack of staff seem to be an abundant problem as well.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. The fire alarms were even going off after the night in question every five minu...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Dear rbechill,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate you taking time to help us to continually improve our guests experience.

I apologize for the inconvenience the fire alarm has caused you and regret that this has negatively affected your stay with us. We regret that your experience with us was not ideal and sorry for the lapse in service during your stay.

Guest comfort is of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a comfortable environment. Your feedback is indeed of utmost importance to us and as we always strive to ensure our guests continue to enjoy superlative levels of service and comfort that they expect when staying at our hotel. One again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M

Reviewed 16 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Linda M
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Hotel appears clean and very nice upon entry. We could not find our room because there was not a room number outside of our room. Then we went to lock the door and see there is only half of top lock so hopefully we will be safe tonight. Unfortunately we booked the hotel for two nights. The pool is small and very cold. The whirlpool is very very small only one jet works and is the hottest whirlpool I have ever been in. It is definitely not worth the price.

• Stayed: August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear luvmy3kids_inHB,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding cleanliness.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the swimming pool and the whirlpool. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I did expect much better quality from the hotel. It's outdated and needs a face lift. Our entrance door would not open without a good push. Sink plug was broken. Breakfast buffet, which was not included, was just OK. Not enough food to feed all people on Saturday morning. Quality was bad as well. For $200 per night I would never ever stay there again.

Room Tip: I am not sure this hotel has a good room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear Black_Chai,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am truly sorry to hear that the food served during your travel did not live up to your expectations on some aspects of your stay. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the manager on duty.

Karen G.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

This hotel was on the whole OK but there was one incident which really let it down. The fire alarms went of late afternoon and our experience is that you leave the building via the stairs as quickly as you can. We went out to the hallway and there was a housekeeper. We asked what was happening and she carried on with her work and said "I don't know" we asked what we should do and she said "I don't know, it's probably just a test". We went downstairs and out of the hotel, we and one other couple were the only ones. Alarm is still going off, I asked reception what their practice was and she said it's probably just a test, however technicians and the hotel manager were running around looking like they didn't know what was happening. I suggested that people could die if they stayed in their rooms and there was a fire and she replied no they wouldn't, we would tell them if there was a real fire. I have to ask how would you tell them? If the fire alarms don't mean that, would you ring every guest room. Bizarre really, we figured the hotel policy is that if there's a fire you should stay in your room that way its easier to identify your body later on! By the way, restaurant was pretty average also.

Room Tip: breakfast not included in the room rate, ask if they have a fire evacuation policy, not just if ther...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Dear Lucy H,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. It is our goal to ensure our guests’ satisfaction is met with the excellence of service you expect. I apologize for the issues you encountered with the fire alarm and level of staff service. Your comments are important to us to ensure we are constantly focused on improving our service and we hope we can demonstrate to you our commitment to value and service.

Thank you again for bringing the details of your stay to our attention. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 3 July 2013

When I pulled up to the hotel I was very disappointed by the outside appearance. It was very dated. Inside the lobby was nice and the front desk staff were pleasant. I received a room on the 7th floor. The room was nicely decorated but there was a portable air conditioner with a big exhaust hose on it. I settled in for about 45 minutes but the air conditioner had a smell and it as not good. I called the front desk and they were able to switch me to a new room which was better smelling. She even gave me a couple free drink tickets for the bar. I met a coworker for dinner at the bar/restaurant. Wait staff was very friendly and the food was great.
The only other comments regarding the room was that the bathroom was very tiny! Also my wake-up call did not happen. I always set my alarm clock too but it old have been bad.

Room Tip: You might a glimpse of the bay if you are high enough up.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PamelaSueB
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear PamelaSueB,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. It is very nice to know that you liked the food that was served and found the desk staff pleasant. However, please accept my sincerest apologies for the air conditioning issue you experienced. I understand the discomfort this caused you. This issue will be addressed immediately. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Karen G.