“Wish I Could Give It A Higher Rating”

Holiday Inn Muskegon
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Muskegon
Holly, Michigan
“Wish I Could Give It A Higher Rating”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

The staff at this hotel are all awesome - very friendly and caring. Room service was quick and absolutely delicious (try the pesto cobb salad). I would love to give it a higher rating, but our room did not have hot water - and while maintenance (spent an entire day fixing it) said it was fixed, the next morning another cold shower. We were also given a handicapped room - not sure why as we are not handicapped. I think that after we reported the 1st cold shower at 6:30 a.m. - they should have moved us to another room - or at least offered to do so. I can't give a better rating because of this and because after reporting a second morning of no hot water, no "I'm sorry from the staff or offer to discount the room. They did let us stay in our room a few hours later, not really the response we were looking for. The beds are very nice and comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alan A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Alan A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs and expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with your room accommodation and the hot water. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Diss, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I have stayed here on a number of occasions on business and it gets a little worse each time. Whilst the staff are friendly, that's really the only positive. The food is very ordinary and they now seem to be economising on the heating; it was snowing outside and they hadn't turned the heating on inside. However, the main issue is the quality. The place is very tired - dated decor, peeling wallpaper etc etc. The whole place needs a lot of money spending on it to bring it up to a decent standard.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Islidem, Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Muskegon Harbor and thank you for providing valuable feedback from your visit. I was glad to read your positive comments about our staff and could not agree with you more. I was sorry to read that we did not live up to your expectations in other areas but I did want to let you know your feedback is important and we take your satisfaction very seriously. I also appreciate your comments about this property needing money spent on it. We recently purchased the hotel and have agreed to spend more than a million dollars over the next 18 months to bring this hotel up to standards. Heating and AC have been big targets of ours as we have purchase a brand new cooling tower and many new room and public area units. I hope you will give us another chance when you are in Muskegon and I hope to have the opportunity to thank you in person.
Parsippany, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

The location of this hotel is fine - with plenty of free parking.
The room was a bit on the frumpy side but clean.
Then my husband sat on the large upholstered chair and boom!
The leg caved in!
We called to have it replaced and another chair was brought in. I think that chair must have been in a basement about 75 years! It was dirty and musty!
The day we left the toilet paper holder fell off the wall!

However, not everything was bad. We were given coupons for the restaurant and had quite a nice breakfast - all ordered off the menu.

Muskegon is not exactly the hub of America - there were hardly any people around on the streets - but it was a stop along the way from Grand Rapids to Ludington!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear LLiv-NewJersey,

Thank you for your feedback. It is good to know you found our breakfast and location commendable. I was disappointed to read that you experienced inconvenience due to the room chair and bathroom amenities. Your feedback will be addressed with the appropriate department to ensure we are providing the best stay for guests at all times.

We hope that you will consider giving us another chance in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

Zelyn N
Webster, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

We arrived late in the evening for a weekend to enjoy a wedding in Downtown Muskegon. At check in we were greeted by a very friendly young women who made our check in easy. When we asked for a roll-a-way to be brought to the room it arrived to the room before we even found the room. Nicely done. Plenty of towels for the four of us in the room but not enough wash cloths.

I learned later that this hotel also has bell service to help with luggage, I seen a couple of employee's there at the desk but no one offered to help. Oh well, they lost the tip and I gained the extra cash.

The view of Muskegon lake was nice.

We went to the restaurant 30 minutes before closing and were treated very well and served good hot food. The restaurant staff was also very good.

Looking at the property, it is obvious that the facility is 35 plus years old, and it needs a little TLC but over all the hotel was very clean.

At 06:30 I want to the lobby and asked for an additional wash cloth and was told that the hotel does not have any at the front desk and was told we had to wait for housekeeping to arrive, I thought that was weird, a hotel should always have extra supplies such as wash cloths and towels at the front desk... The young lady at the desk told me that management does not have any supplies there unless all room are booked. This is something I think the hotel management should change.

The only real concern I had with the hotel was about half the staff I ran into, some would great us or respond when greeted while many would not even look at us. I thought that that was somewhat insulting. When I as a guest say good morning or hello the correct responce should be at a minimum Hello, but that did not happen.

Overall I would recommend the hotel to stay in but don't expect to be treated much more then anyone on the street or at any Wal*Mart.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Robert V,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I really dont know why this place received such low reviews. I was in town for a funeral and the hotel was very clean and the staff was attentive and friendly. Not one bad day here on my three night stay. I must add that the bartenders were WONDERFUL and very personable. Made me laugh even when I didnt want to. stayed 09/24-9/27

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

It sure was a pleasure after a long day of traveling to experience the welcoming and helpful Samyrah at this hotel. When we checked out the next morning we were also greeted with a smile. She was friendly, informative and professional. We will definitely stay here again if we are in the area. Thank you Samyrah!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 304traveler
Carl Junction
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

The desk agent was exceptional. She answered all of our questions and helped us book the next days hotel stay. She was professional and courteous. We enjoyed our visit to the area. Holiday Inn and Brittany made it extra enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends