“Le donjon”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The desserts are divine, and when the owner is the chef you can be guaranteed to have excellent food. The location is fantastic, with a feeling of being right in the heart of mediaeval village life.
Take your time, savour the atmosphere, and enjoy your day, this is the right place to be.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This was by far the best meal we had in france! The Escargots were out of this world with a walnut and parlsey pesto and the duck confit was amazing and served over a cassoulet with duck sausage. Definitely a splurge kind of a meal, but awesome.

The server didn't speak much English but we had some incredibly funny moments with hand gestures--imagine our friend inadvertently making the finger circle with one had and moving his fingers in and out of to ask if something came stuffed. The waitress just started dying laughing and said "sorry some things are just international!" We had a good laugh and a great meal.

1  Thank Summera3
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We visited this restaurant in Bourdeilles purely by chance. We had intended to go to another restaurant in the same village, La Dolce Vita, but as it was closed, we went to Le Donjon instead. We were really glad that it had worked out that way. I went with two Italians who are extremely critical when it comes to food, but neither of them would hesitate to go there again. The food was lovely, and the waitress was very friendly and efficient, and had all the patience in the world with foreigners who did not understand the menu. I'd love to go there again.

1  Thank LindaZ123
Reviewed 6 September 2013

On a recent visit to Dordogne area we had an evening meal in this restaurant and were so impressed we returned the next day for lunch which was equally good. The restaurant is in an outdoor sheltered courtyard. The prices are very reasonable, food was excellent and service was good. I would hightly recommend it. It is just opposite the Chateaux in the lovely town of Bourdeillles.

2  Thank PatNor
Reviewed 4 September 2013

An unimaginative menu full of underwhelming food, overpriced and served with disdain by unwelcoming staff who think that foreigners don't know about what they are eating. Dreary fish drowned in classically-awful creamy sauce, woeful cheese selection and poor childrens' food. When my daughter wanted to order from the main menu, the waitress was very disturbed, despite the fact that I was happy to pay for it. When I asked about the cheese she told me that there were three boring cheese available, but 15mins later served 5 lovely cheeses including a couple of my favourites to the table of French people next to me.

1  Thank SGFoodCritic