“Lipstick on a Pig”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights
Jackson, Michigan
“Lipstick on a Pig”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Out of necessity due to traveling with our dog; we chose the RRI-Muskegon Heights. Reviews were mixed from other raters; however they are accurate. The management has painted and made obvious upgrades. However their intentions to dress the facility up aren't enough. As other TA raters have mentioned the lobby, pool and breakfast area a nice, but that's as far a it goes. The hallways are disgusting filthy and stained carpet on every hallway we traversed. The electronic locking system kept locking us out of the entrances doors and our room. The lack of properly working security keys was a major concern to us. Due the security issue and uncleanliness we chose to depart early and seek refuge in another area motel. There are two positives ; the staff were very polite and engaging and willingly to assist as needed. Also the bed was very comfortable! The area is depressed that is undeniable. The owner has made obvious attempts to make changes, however the lack of proper cleaning and lack of security defeats their attempts to make the facility a better place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
i0712, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Valued Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share you recent experience with us. I am glad that you felt the staff was very friendly, and that you were satisfied will all of our new mattresses. I would like you to know that we have been continuing to make updates to the hotel, and are currently waiting for our contractors to have all of our new hallway carpeting installed. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel at any time as I would like the chance to discuss this matter with you further.
Red Roof Inn & Suites ~ Muskegon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Huntington, Indiana
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This motel is in an almost deserted part of Muskegon Heights...several buildings in area area closed, for sale or just plain deserted. The motel puts up a good front, nice lobby, breakfast area, pool and fitness area. However, the hallways are filthy. The rooms appear clean but looking at the hallway's, it makes you wonder. We stayed one night out of a 2 nite reservation and moved on downtown. I would not recommend. Staff is very friendly and helpful but somebody needs to come in and clean the place!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank becknee
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share you recent experience with us. I would like you to know that we have been continuing to make updates to the hotel, and are currently waiting for our contractors to install our new hallway carpeting. I am glad to hear that the staff was friendly and helpful throughout your stay. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel at any time as I would like the chance to discuss this matter with you further.

Travellers are raving about these Muskegon Heights hotels

Caro, Michigan
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Free Wi-Fi only works in or near the lobby, not in your room or the outdoor areas. The rooms don't look like the pictures. The 1970's carpet is under the beds and the hardwoods are poorly put around it, the hallways have nasty 1970's carpet. The bathtub fills with water while you shower. They allow pets so you hear barking dogs all night.
The lobby area and where the free breakfast is served is remodeled and nice. The staff is friendly.
There is no close by restaurants, gas stations or other amenities. Not the best part of town either.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandi M
Dear Valued Guest,
I am sorry that you had such a bad experience during your recent stay. I would like you to know that we are continuing to make updates to the hotel, and many other guests have been very pleased with our high level of customer service and quality here. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel at any time as I would like the chance to discuss this matter with you further.
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here after visiting Michigan Adventure. Since the room was $94 I figured it would b ok to stay here. Not. The staff were really laid back and had on jeans and t-shirts. They gave me the Internet code but it didn't work at all. We had to drag our suit case up the stairs since there was not an elevator. The hallways are filthy. Very dirty the entire way. The room was ok but you could tell they didn't vacuum along the walls or bed frame. The weirdest thing was our room floor was slanted at an angle. Some how the floor wasn't flat so much that the desk drawer wouldn't stay shut. We kept our socks on the entire time. The ice machine was broke. The pool is extremely small..a small square and the free breakfast was a joke. Good thing we thing we only stayed one night.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Legs8
i0712, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience during your recent stay. We are continuing updates along with extensive training with our staff members, and many other guests have been very pleased with our high level of customer service and quality here. Please remember that at Red Roof Inn we have our hassle free guarentee, and I will take care of this matter with you personally to make sure that you are satisfied. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel at any time as I would like the chance to discuss this matter with you further.

Red Roof Inn & Suites~Muskegon
st clair shores
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We called twice for housekeeping for a clogged toilet- once at night then again in the am no one came!!! The floors in hallways were extra dirty, the staff was nice. The breakfast was decent. Overall it was just ok . Couldn't get over the filthy carpets

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Chris0125
i0712, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with other travelers. I would like you to know that we are currently waiting for the contractors to install our new carpeting throughout the hallways. Should you like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel and I will do my best to address and concerns. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you soon.

Belding, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Staff was super friendly and helpful. Breakfast was more than adequate. Room clean and would stay again. Oh yeah we have stayed here before! Close proximity to all attractions we wanted to see and easy to get to highway. Thanks for a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
i0712, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that the staff members were super friendly and helpful during your stay, and that you were very satisfied with our breakfast selection. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you soon.

Lapeer, Michigan
Reviewed 23 June 2014

When I pulled in I thought oh no. But after walking in I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was recently updated with hardwood floors and carpet in one bedroom, they were very clean as well. While staying there I noticed that they were doing a number of upgrades to the outside as well. I had a 2br 2bthrm suite for $120 a night that's awesome. The room was very clean, as well as the lobby and breakfast area. Great Bargain for the price!

Room Tip: The standard 2 room suite was awesome.