“Terrible food. Even the salad was inedible”

La Bastide des Oliviers
Ranked #5 of 16 Restaurants in Monflanquin
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
“Terrible food. Even the salad was inedible”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Surly service, we weren't allowed to cross the line into the restaurant unless we agreed to eat a la carte but the waitress didn't show us the menu to be able to decide. We decided to stay on the terrace. The food was inedible from start to finish, I recognised the starter as frozen party food (camembert beignets) the salad was so salty it was inedible, so bad I had to dispose of the first mouthful in my napkin. The main course I had to send back, it was so nuclear hot and dried out it appeared to have been reheated in the microwave (thick dry crust on the pea puree) and the fish not what it seemed at all; the waitress argued with me and the chef came out to question me in front of everyone. I was polite but firm that I couldn't eat it. The chef was adamant it was dry because of the way it had been cooked. I suggest he find a better way to cook it in that case. The dessert (a frangipani) was so hard as rock, I could have used it to build a dry stone wall; the fork couldn't even penetrate it. The waitress told us that the chef likes to come out to everyone who complains, giving me the impression this happens a lot. Truly dreadful experience, and an air of bullying us into having to like bad food. She seemed more concerned in telling us how the locals like it, giving the impression tourists and locals are not treated with the same respect. Thoroughly miserable evening, topped off by being very, very ill with vomiting by dawnbreak; I strongly suspect the two were related.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank serge b

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Well recommended”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We have just spent 7 nights at this friendly restaurant with rooms run by a charming lady Maria and her husband; despite some reviews the bed was not as hard as expected!

We did not have the opportunity to eat apart from breakfast, which was very good; piping hot coffee with penalty of choice of breads and pastries etc.

Very good value for money and the staff could not have been more friendly or accommodating. The view from room 3 was wonderful and despite the noise from the main road we would stay here again.

• Visited October 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Best place to eat in Monflanquin”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We were recommended to this restaurant and it did not disappoint. Excellent food at excellent prices and a very charming hostess.

Visited September 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great welcome, good food including outside catering”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

A friendly and helpful family run restaurant capable of doing big outside catering events as well as serving great food on the premises in a lovely hilltop village

• Visited June 2013
New York
“Nice price, not so great food”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Don't want to be too harsh on fellow reviewers but let's just say if you've got a sophisticated palate you may want to pass on this one. Sadly there is an increasing amount of less than average cooking in France compared to the old days (or I am I just getting more discerning?)--this being an example. The confit, which is one of my barometers in the South, was not good and it isnt that hard to pull off--a Southwest standard kind of like burgers in America. Like everyone else that evening we ate in the bar area where prices were half the dining room's; there was noone in the dining room, so perhaps the food was better there but it was the same kitchen and many french restaurants have a cheaper cafe next door with awesome food--this was not one of them.

• Visited July 2012