“Superb food!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint-Cere
Les Trois Soleils de Montal
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Saint-Cere
Adelaide, Australia
“Superb food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

We were very fortunate to find this hotel by chance during our travels. The owner/host was absolutely lovely- welcoming, helpful and willing to share knowledge about the wonderful artwork and Jean Lurcat tapestries in the reception areas. Her husband, who is also the owner/chef, produced one of the three, and possibly the best meal we had during 3 months of travel in Europe. The restaurant has a Michelin star rating and it certainly lives up to that. Restaurant staff were also great. Our room was spacious, clean and with a balcony overlooking the beautiful gardens. (Designed and planted by the owners). A chateau is within very easy walking distance and it's a quick drive into St Cere. There are also other lovely villages, caves/grottes and chateaux nearby. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

I'm going to review the restaurant, but what I've seen of the hotel, it lives up to the quality of the restaurant. The owners are wonderfully friendly and ensure that the standard of cuisine is consistently good. The chef uses excellent quality food and cooks it superbly, everything's always fresh, and we've never had a bad dish. We like all of the cuisine and have no hesitation in letting the chef decide what to cook for us. Everything's great - and unlike some restaurant's , the desserts are fabulous, whatever one chooses! It's a treat.

If there are children, the restaurant tries to accommodate their food tastes.

Beautiful, peaceful location.

Room Tip: There are rooms with balconies for smokers - and non-smokers! In Summer, it's a joy to eat en te...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
argyll
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

The welcome is friendly, the staff are attentive, the room we had was spacious and nice. The food was very good, so we also ate here on our 2nd night in town. It is in a quiet location, with the town centre only 5 mins away (we were on bikes). Would happily stay here if in the area again. Lots to see locally ... a good base to work from.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Paraza
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

The hotel is located in a beautiful, park-like wooded area. The building itself is not bad looking but is nothing special. The rooms, many with balcony, are small, not all have AC and are kind of dated. The toilet in our room was tiny and the good, modern shower is located more or less open and next to the bed. The very nice pool, without changing room and a very dated service building, is located approx, 300 meters from the hotel. Not only the distance to the pool was bothersome but that the pool cleaning gear was still in full operation at 9AM the other day.
The restaurant is first class, the dishes very tasty and well prepared. My souffle was best! The service was attentive but a little spotty.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank UbErich F
peterborough, NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

we spent 2 nights here and had easter lunch. wonderful food and service, french families enjoying a lovely and delicious easter meal together. easy to get to many fabulous little villages from here. very nice owners and staff

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peterborough_NHJules
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at Les Trois Soleils de Montal for several days in April. Although the weather was cold and rainy, the warmth of the staff made up for Mother Nature's shortcomings. Everyone was there to please us. Our room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The grounds were lovely. We also enjoyed visiting several of the most beautiful villages in France which are nearby. The most memorable aspect of our visit was the food. The chef is truly talented. Everything we ate had a delicacy of flavor that was superb. The finest and freshest ingredients are melded together with great care and creativity. On a personal note, for the first time in my life I ate and enjoyed fish. I never thought I'd ever be able to say that but the
chef worked miracles!

Room Tip: Just eat all your dinners at the hotel and it won't matter what room you choose. You will be hap...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Florimond
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I ate at the hotel's restaurant with two friends, but we were not staying at the hotel.

Although the restaurant itself is a little uninspiring, it doesn't really have much atmosphere, the food is outstanding. We chose from the prixe-fixe menu which whilst not extensive is sure to have something to please.

I started with the langoustine ravioli, followed by the lamb, a selection from the cheeseboard and finished with a chocolate crumble. We also were served complimentary 'amuse-bouche' to top-and-tail the meal. The ravioli was excellent. I'm no great fan of lamb, and chose it on the recommendation of our host, and I can only say it was lovely. I think my reservation about lamb is that it is often overwhelmed with garlic, but the chef here made a masterful presentation. The chessboard is extensive and has a good cross-section of local cheeses. If you like chocolate then the chocolate crumble is to die for. I really can't fault the meal.

Our host chose the wine so I can't comment on the wine list, other than to say the bottle we drank was very good.

Service was prompt and attentive, without being overwhelming, and the staff were knowledgeable and helpful.

Given the relatively rural location I was both impressed and surprised at the fantastic quality of this restaurant. I suspect you will need to go a long way to improve upon it.

Can't really comment on the price or value, as I didn't pay the bill, other than to say I didn't think the prixe-fixe too expensive, especially considering the quality of the meal.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank markw_bd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Cere
Hotel Victor Hugo
#1 of 5 in Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne
Auberge de la Fontaine
Auberge de la Fontaine
#1 of 1 in Autoire

Been to Les Trois Soleils de Montal? Share your experiences!