“Smart and relaxing Hotel on a beautiful , laid back island”
Review of Hotel Fleur de Sel

and 1 more site!
Hotel Fleur de Sel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Smart and relaxing Hotel on a beautiful , laid back island”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This newly decorated hotel is clearly aimed mainly at the summer holiday market so out of season this month it was beautifully quiet . Nevertheless all the facilities , such as restaurant, tennis court, swimming pool, sun loungers, bicycles, were open and available. The spacious common parts are very smart and the service friendly. For an overnight stop we were fine in one of the cheapest and smallest room which was newly decorated. But for a longer stay I would definitely want to trade up to a more spacious room, especially as there doesn't appear to be any aircon in the rooms which could be a problem in high summer.

There was a rather damp smell in the room and in the bar which I think came from the new wicker chairs and baskets and will disappear in due course. Overall the hotel greatly exceeded our expectations and I would be giving it 5 out of 5 were it not for an unfortunate experience in the restaurant, which I will review separately.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have doors opening onto the garden with chairs outside. I would think they are al...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This was our first time at this hotel and frankly we would go back. Ok, the season hadn't really started and breakfast was a bit light on cheese (of all things!) but that apart it was an excellent stay. The Management and staff couldn't have been more helpful and it was a pleasure to stay there. When the restaurant opened for dinner, we found an excellent choice of food and a good but reasonably priced wine list.

Room Tip: The 'Cosy Garden Room' type gives easy access to the gardens and are easy to reach from rece...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
direction_fleurdesel, Responsable réception at Hotel Fleur de Sel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
Thank you for your stay in early April. We appreciate and thank you really for your comments.
Early in the season we propose a package 'escale' with bed and breakfast. When our restaurant opens, we also offer half board for our customers.
We hope to see you again this season, now the pool is heated at 28°C, bikes waiting for you, the tennis court is renovated... and the staff is ready and perfect!
Yours faithfully. Sophie
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had selected the Fleur de Sel as a useful "half way" house between Bergerac and our return ferry from Caen, after reading good reviews in a French guide book. The location is lovely, not far from the sea and within easy walking distance of the port and the small, busy town. The room was not huge (neither was the bath!) but clean and comfortable with a small outdoor space with two loungers. It was a very hot day/night at the end of July and, without air-conditioning the room was very, very hot (an inadequate fan was in operation but made little impression on the temperature)

Our booking had included a dinner reservation in their excellent restaurant where we chose from one of the four menus. If there is any left we commend to you the Comte Leloup de Chasseloir from their good wine list. It was an outstanding meal with friendly, efficient service from a charming waitress.

The front of house "attitude" referred to in other reports is interesting - the male who seemed to be in charge of the reception area when we arrived was less than warmly welcoming and displayed the same surly attitude when he was maitre d' in the restaurant at night. His female colleague was charm itself and, in the morning when I was settling the bill and had a query, she could not have been more helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gillie H
Craon, Poitou-Charentes, France
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my mother who has difficulty with her mobility..92 years of age! The owners did everything possible to make our stay as stress free as possible and even went to the trouble of offering a cushion to take with us to the local restaurant! Room comfortable, light and airy, bathroom very modern and well equipped. Will be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wendy G
direction_fleurdesel, Gérant at Hotel Fleur de Sel, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Thanks for your message. We keep a very good souvenir of your short stay in march. 'The First English guest of the 2013 season' See you another time, with our restaurant open. Kinds regards. Pierrick & Amandine and now 'Gabriel'
Peebles Scotland
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed here for two nights on a brief visit to Noirmoutier.Hotel is in a lovely setting and has nice public areas and pool.Warm welcome at reception taken to our hotel room which was overlooking the garden and pool area with a small outside sitting area.Room was very nice and a good size with all that you would need .We ate in the restaurant on the first night and there was a rather pretentious atmosphere that certainly was not supported by the food which was fine but nothing special.Breakfast was fine but once again blighted by no fresh coffee and the use of the dreaded coffee machine.This hotel has the ability to be so much more if it just lost some of its stuffiness / old gentlemens club type atmosphere and became slighly looser and started enjoying itself.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gordon10
Ireland
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We stayed in Fleur de Sol in July 2010 a three star establishment. Bed and Breakfast cost €165.00 per night for two people. The bedroom, while small, was adequate but the garden/pool view was from a window, which you had to stand close to see outside. The exterior of the hotel was well maintained as was the swimming pool and surrounding area. Reception staff were conversant in English and were professional. We were offered dinner for two on our first evening for an extra €35.00 for both my wife and I which we accepted. We did not commit ourselves to a second night.

We hadn’t eaten anything at all since 3.00 pm and were looking forward to dinner booked for 7.30 pm. Service was very slow and several people who arrived after us were served dinner before us. We had to ask for our starters to be served and again the same happened for our main course. Dinner took two and a half hours to be served and eaten. My wife and I had different starters but the same main courses and desserts. The meal itself seemed fine but unappealing. We went for a short drive immediately after dinner and by 10.45 pm I found myself feeling unwell and we headed back to the hotel. I repeatedly had to go to the bathroom and shortly after, my wife experienced the same symptoms. We both had a very restless night with both of us repeatedly going back and forth to the bathroom for most of the night. Feeling a little better the next morning we went for a light breakfast. The breakfast spread was quite good. After breakfast, now with some food in our stomachs, the problems restarted. My wife had to go to bed and was unable to get up until late afternoon while I stayed close to a bathroom. We complained about our after dinner problems to the manager and he was most apologetic. We informed him that we now had no option but to stay for a second night as we were too unwell to move on. We also told him that we wouldn’t be eating dinner in the hotel that night.

The following morning, when we went to check out, I mentioned to the receptionist that I was surprised to see that we were being charged the €35.00 for dinner on our first evening. I explained that we had been very unwell afterwards and the only food that we had eaten in the seven and three quarter hours before I felt unwell was the food we had eaten at dinner in their hotel. She said that their kitchens were clean and she proceeded to process my credit card. I said that I would like to speak to the manager. His apologetic stance the previous day had now completely gone. He spoke excellent English and said that the fact that we were feeling unwell was our problem and not his hotel’s. No one but ourselves had reported ill; their kitchens were spotless etc. etc. When I asked him for the name and address of the local health authority to where I could submit a complaint he became very, very angry. He refused to give it to me, threw pages around and very noisily pulled his moneybox out of a drawer. He was arrogant and bad mannered and I explained to him that I didn’t need the €35.00 and that if he was going to make such a commotion that he could keep it. As I left, he said sarcastically “ You have a really good day”

Overall, the location is acceptable. It's within walking distance of the shops and restaurants. The rooms were satisfactory but nothing remarkable. We are absolutely convinced that our sickness was down to what we had eaten at dinner but the manner which the manager treated us was so poor that we couldn't regard the service as other than appalling and value for money poor. An hotel worth avoiding and if you do stay it is best that you don’t have to deal with this unprofessional, bad tempered manager.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank SeacatIreland
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2009

We know this area well -having had many family holidays in the area
Saw the Tripadviser reviews and this sounded like and ideal place to stay
We paid for the "best " garden rooms
They were small and cramped -bathrooms tiny
Food - had high hopes having read rave reviews
First night food was very good -so we decided to stay in the 2nd evening
BUT - there must have been a different cook on duty !
Crab starter had little crab in it
Sheperds pie !! in France !- my local pub in London serves better
Strawberry thing at end of meal had two biscuits held together with jam - white sauce poured over (tinned condensed milk ? ) and only 1/2 a strawberry for decoration -previous night dish was decorated with strawberries
Oh - and they tried to charge us for eating the E39 meal instead of the E29 one
Perhaps this place is best avoided at the end of season (the pool was even covered up and loungers removed )

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family