“Dreadful - appalling”

Chateau du Pelave
Singapore, Singapore
“Dreadful - appalling”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

DO NOT STAY AT THIS CHATEAU. The old man that runs the chateau does not want guests. He has taken over the main room for his TV, so there is no where to sit inside. You can sit outside but if it rains you are trapped in your tiny room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gilbertus a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Paris, France
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Having booked a 170€ room for several nights, I was expecting the comfort and service that usually goes with that price level. I was sorely disappointed. It being the height of the August season, there was virtually no other available hotel on the entire island and I felt sort of trapped, so I could not consider picking another hotel and that is why I stayed there.

I was in Noirmoutier for a writing project so I had to be as close as possible to the main village. The booking form said "free bike rental" so I read it as it was, but it turned out bike rental is not free. Okay, not their fault, a misunderstanding with the booking center, but still a bad surprise for the customer.
A word on the bike rental: it is not free, and not good value either: some of the bicycles are minimally maintained, with bad brakes or chains that pop out from their gears. Some do not have shifting gears, or a basket, or lights, and most do not have a functional bell, which is really more dangerous than it sounds. Not safe on top of being costly. For that price you should expect fully-functioning bikes. Rather go to a professional bike rental shop (there are tons on Noirmoutier) and play safe.

The room was quiet and spacious, bed comfortable, but no services usually associated with that price range (minibar, AC), no separate bath: plastic curtains - ok with me, but not at that price. Some of the lighting was not functioning. That would have been okay without the considerable water leak that started pouring right from the ceiling (the lighting, to be exact!) right after my first shower, flooding the floor. I ran down to the reception for help, receptionist said they'd send someone right away; one hour later no one had showed up. I had to mop the floor with my shower mat.
The leak was supposedly fixed the next day, but actually it started again, and I don't know what was done but it continued until I left. I grew tired of telling the reception so I kept the mat or a towel on the floor to absorb excess water. I don't know about the other rooms, but avoid room #9, for that's a leaky one!

Owing to erratic bike maintenance, I had to have dinner twice at the hotel. The cooking is not very good (and therefore overpriced), the wines are average and overpriced too: 8 € for one glass of mediocre wine! they don't even dare to do that in Paris. Breakfast is just OK with the nice addition of an electric orange juicer. 9€, overpriced too.

Needless to say, small items of overcharging add up on the bill and you're in for quite a hearbreak at checkup. Not liking to make arguments when I am on vacation (I was working but trying to enjoy the whole thing too), I didn't even remind them of the persistent leak and run-down bicycles. I thought there would be too much to complain about if I did say something and I wasn't enjoying the discussion that would follow, for I can't imagine they're not aware there is some sort of abuse there. So I decided to leave it at that and get it over with. I am not saying that for the two young ladies at the reception, for they always were very nice to me, but they do not manage the place.

I have to mention one good point: free, fully-functional wifi connection in bedroom. I was happy about that for I constantly need to work while I'm away.

Anyway I hear that the hotel is for sale, and I hope that the next owner will renovate the place as it deserves and finally offer decent service.

Room Tip: Preferably the one that has no water leak from the bathroom ceiling: avoid the 9.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Coyotita

Travellers are raving about these Noirmoutier en l'Ile hotels

Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The Chateau is satisfaction. no words to describe until you explore it. location is quite and also walk distance to the small village where you could shops and dining. parking is free. the hotels garden were beautiful. we were so surprise with the garden en location where we forget to take pictures . the structure of the building really give you a home feeling. the bathroom is modern. the view from the room is breath taking. the sounds from a nature makes you really relax.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Rose D
Beijing, China
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I organized my wedding there on the 30th of June.
The beautiful garden was perfect for a nice relaxing and joyful cocktail; and the reception of the 100 guests was flawless.

Service was quite fast and the food delicious; the chef and the manager came to check with us to make sure everything was ok and the staff was very helpful during the whole evening too.

I had booked 6 rooms for my family and friends and they all enjoyed their stay; was great to have the Chateau ambiance so close to the beach and in the forest.

Thanks again to the staff for this beautiful day; I will definitly go back there each time I am around this part of France to remember the good memories.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Timandyuki
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We arrived at the hotel at 4 pm on the 8th March, the manager sat at the reception desk engrossed in a mobile telephone conversation. He barely acknowledged us, handed the keys over the desk and returned to his conversation. We had specifically chosen this hotel because of the restaurant reviews. We were astonished to find the restaurant in darkness at 7.30 pm, when we went in search of some staff, we found a single person i.e the manager sitting in the bar eating his dinner from a skillet watching Television and - on his mobile telephone. He informed us that it is winter and the restaurant does not open. It would have been nice to have been informed of this before our stay or even at the time we arrived. The room was comfortable and the breakfast staff were helpful. But we would never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 86LAH
UK
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Based on the reviews I read I was expecting it to be much better than it was. The building is very nice and the grounds lovely but it all feels a bit run down and in need of renovation. Our room was an odd mixture of some nice antique furniture and some ugly 1970s kitch and was desparately in need of major re-decoration. Also it was at the top of a very steep staircase on the 2nd floor with no elevator which might put off some older visitors.

We ate once in the restaurant and the food was very good but quite pricey. We also felt that the owner was rather 'snooty' towards us once was declined to order one of his expensive bottles of wine (he clearly considers himself a great expert in this area).

Breakfast was OK - the usual basic stuff you get in most french hotels but the breakfast area can only be described as extremely functional and again totally not in keeping with a building of this type.

All in all it was OK but nothing more than that and driving around the island I got the impression I could have done much better.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Piermont, New York
Reviewed 10 August 2010

The hotel is in a beautiful wooded area and it is a lovely building with a lovely garden around it. There is no elevator. The rooms are nice and have most of what you need. However, the toilet is in a separate room from the rest of the bathroom (shower and sink, in our case). The view is absolutely lovely. I found the bed to be a little hard. But the shower was lovely. I was rather annoyed with a light in the entrance area to the room which works on a motion sensor - when I would get up in my sleep to use the toilet, the light would go on (a very bright halogen light no less) and it would wake me. I should have asked them to disconnect it, but didn't. They did accommodate my request for a small refrigerator in the room (we were staying for two entire weeks) but it did not work very well. In the end my plan to have a "picnic" breakfast on the terrace did not really work out and we found ourselves eating out twice a day (rather expensive, in addition to the room rate).

We did not try the breakfast. But we did have dinner at the hotel restaurant one time and never did that again. It was very expensive (although no prices were listed at the time and we only found out how much when we got our final bill) and we found the cooking to be very poor (our fish was dry and tasteless and we left most of it; there were hardly any vegetables and the kitchen did not accommodate requests). in general, the cuisine on the island of Noirmoutier is centered on fish and not the least bit outstanding. However, there is a nearby Moroccan restaurant that we did like and a crepe place down the road that is very good. There are plenty of informal eateries you can find that serve sushi (pretty good), pizza (so-so) and pasta (very mediocre). You are close to the center of Noirmoutier-en-l'ile, which is the main town on the island and does have lots of fun shops and a tri-weekly outdoor market. We had a car, so we drove everywhere. We did not try to use the nearby public beach because we spent a lot of time with family at their beach. The personnel in the hotel was generally pleasant. We found the ocean to be warm and calm, but the air on the island is quite cool and it is often windy. There is a little sightseeing to do (a castle, a church, salt marshes). But mainly this is a place for beachgoers. And it draws mainly French people and some EU; my guess is that we were the only Americans around. Honestly, if you're looking for a nice beach, head to the Caribbean. If you're determined to spend time in Noirmoutier, you would do better to either rent a house (which would allow you to avoid the mediocre restaurant fare on the island) or possibly stay in a guesthouse (some people we met raved about theirs and it was near our hotel, at about the same price, and included use of a pool and breakfast). But if you're only going for a few days and want the simplicity of a hotel, I guess this is probably as good a choice as any.

By the way, one Saturday evening there was a wedding in the hotel that was pretty noisy and went on quite late, but I had my trusty silicone earplugs with me, so was able to sleep. My daughter was tired and was also able to sleep.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family