“Not for light sleepers!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites New Buffalo

Fairfield Inn & Suites New Buffalo
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in New Buffalo
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
“Not for light sleepers!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

The hotel itself is fine, in fact it may be one of the nicer Fairfield Inns I've stayed in. While on the low end of the Marriott chain and therefore missing a lot of the luxuries you'd get at a JW, this one has very nice staff, furnishings were updated, mostly okay breakfast (could have used better fruit and biscuits). They are convenient to Four Winds Casino and even provide shuttle service there. The problem I had is that the main job of a hotel, for me, is to provide good sleeping accommodations, and the hotel's proximity to I-94 made it impossible for me to get a good night's sleep. I was on the side of the hotel nearest the highway, and the noise from the trucks passing by kept me up most of the night despite using the white noise app on my iPad, earplugs, etc. Perhaps a room on the other side of the hotel would have been okay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elanor_69
Erik M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New Buffalo, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I appreciate your feedback about the staff and that we are one of the nicer Fairfields that you have stayed in. I apologize about you not getting a good night's rest while you were here. Sometimes the trucks can be a bit noisy. Please let me know when you are visiting the area again, I will make sure that you are on the opposite side of the hotel.

Erik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Ada, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

This was our second stay at the Fairfield Inn. My husband and I made a last minute decision to travel to Four Winds Casino. We did not have a reservation when we checked in at Fairfield, but that wasn't a problem. The check in experience was smooth and we were upgraded to a King suite. Our room faced the corn fields and was quiet and clean. There is a free shuttle that runs to the casino until 2 am on the weekends which is very convenient. The breakfast bar has a nice selection and hits the spot. We will be back!

Room Tip: The hotel has 4 floors. We find it the least noisy on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Kim,

Thank you for reviewing our property. I am glad to see that your stay was enjoyable and that we were able to upgrade you to a suite. It is nice to see that you enjoyed the breakfast as well. We hope to have you here again soon.

LeClaire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Booked a stay to New Buffalo Fairfield Inn- after an unexpected family tragedy I called and cancelled our reservations two days prior to stay. Much to my surprise I ran across a $248 charge on our credit card about two weeks later. When I called to question the charge stating that I had cancelled the reservation, I was treated extrememly rudely! From the front desk staff to the General manager Eric. Unfortunately I made the mistake of not getting a cancellation number, thus they would not refund my credit card stating that we had been a "no show". It is not our fault that the person who took the cancellation was not properly trained or somehow did not cancel it out. A very costly mistake for us! The way my husband and I were treated- even from managment staff tells me this company does not value its customers. Definitely will NEVER stay at a Marriott proerty again. Beware of giving out your credit card number- may very well be charged even though you don't stay!!!! Horrible customer service!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Kelli B
Kelli

Thank you for your review; all feedback, positive or negative is important as it helps us to serve our guests better. It is true that you were charged for your stay, as it states when you make your reservation that you will be charged unless you cancel your reservation. After reviewing your reservation again, you did not speak with my front desk; they are trained to relay all cacellation numbers immediately at the time of cancellation. When we spoke earlier you were informed that you made your reservations with another party, not the hotel. With Marriott Central Reservations they will always give out cancellation numbers as well.

I am sorry that you feel that you were treated rudely, that is never our goal at our hotel, we intend to give everyone a memorable stay for the right reasons...I apologize if we failed to do that for you. Again, thank you for your feedback and hopefully you will give us another chance.

Geneva, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

For this category of hotel, the Fairfield Inn in New Buffalo is very nice with a convenient location off of the highway and close to downtown. The lobby, breakfast area and room were clean and attractive; the bed comfortable. The breakfast is typical hotel continental fare, with the addition of a few hot selections; convenient but nothing more. Southwest Michigan doesn't have enough hotels to meet the demand by tourists and visitors during events, so you pay more for a room in this category than you would in other areas. Two minor problems I experienced were the towels and wash clothes were super skimpy and thin, and the hot tub was overflowing with foamy stuff, which kept me from using it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Baglee
Erik M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New Buffalo, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for the feedback..! I am happy that you had a nice stay and that you thought our hotel was clean. We try our best to provide "clean and friendly" for every guest. I apologize about the towels and the foam in the hot-tub; that happens on occasion when it is used frequently, it must have been between cleaning times.
Again, I appreciate your feedback and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Please visit us again.

St Louis, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

We didn't have a reservation but had no trouble getting a beautiful room at an excellent rate. The front desk hostess was very helpful. We were very happy with our room. The bed was very comfortable & the bathroom was very nicely equipped with all supplies. Our room faced the highway, but we didn't hear much noise. We missed breakfast because we were so comfortable, we slept late. Will definitely stay there on all future trips.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Amitima
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay! It is great to see that you enjoyed your room and that our Front Desk was helpful with your stay. Next time you are here I will keep breakfast open a little later so you can enjoy it, but still sleep in again.

Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Very comfortable, new fitness room equipment, excellent service from front desk, great breakfast.. Stayed here on business and will definitely stay here the next time in the area. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Phil C
Hello Phil,

Thank you for the kind words! We try to provide a home away from home; especially when you are away on business; I am happy to see we acheived that for you.

Fort Calhoun, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed with the family 4 nights right after Labor day. Overall very good experience. We got a discounted rate on a 2 queen suite (all week stay, no weekend nights) which was fantastic. We checked in around 9pm and the guy running the desk was really good. The thing you have to remember about non-full service hotels is there is generally one, and only one, person to do everything at night. So every guest that needs something, every outside call, every guest that checks in, plus whatever administrative duties are needed are being done by one person. That's a coporate decision and is the same at Marriot, Hilton, HIE, etc so cut the night shift some slack.

Every employee I encountered greeted me and in general the employees take good care of the property and the guests. I normally travel for business so don't spend much time on hotel sites, but being on vacation I spent time in the morning with coffee and the newspaper. I talked to people like the Chief Engineer who was mortified that I saw cigarette butts on the patio ground (from some slob guests who couldn't be bothered to use the waste cans) and he grabbed a broom and swept it up while on his way to inspect equipment out back. We talked about the challenges of keeping a property looking good, especially near beaches, in today's lean staffing environment. These people get it.

We love the beaches here and this is a great property so we'll be back again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dave c
Hello Dave,

Thank you for the kind words! Our 2 queen suites are a great option for long term stays or when your with family. I really appreciate the comments about the staff, and that you were able to enjoy your stay here during your vacation. We hope to accomodate you next year as well and hopefully we can get you in the 2 queen suite again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Buffalo
Blue Chip Casino and Hotel
#4 of 16 in Michigan City
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Michigan City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites New Buffalo? Share your experiences!