“Decent value, but could use some improvement”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New Buffalo
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in New Buffalo
Chicago, IL
“Decent value, but could use some improvement”
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I just got home from almost a week long vacation to New Buffalo. My boyfriend and I stayed at the Fairfield Inn while on our vacation. Our main attraction to the hotel is that they were offering a wonderful deal for the week that we had planned on going to the hotel. Also, I read many user reviews and it seemed to be a good bank for your buck. Unfortunately, I was not very pleased with my stay at the hotel.

I will begin with the plus sides of our stay at the hotel in order to avoid all negativity. The breakfast selections in the morning featured a decent variety. I also thought that the morning front desk clerk was very courteous and very accomodating.

Unfortunately that is all I really have to say for the positive aspects of my stay at this hotel.

The first night that we stayed, we both woke up with an extremely sore back. The bed was super firm and not very comfortable. The next morning, we talked with the front desk clerk about our problem. He informed us that all beds were the same in the hotel and that the maid service had just flipped the mattresses. So, I guess the super firmness of the beds was unavoidable?

The lobby and breakfast area is similar to a refrigerator. I also heard other patrons complaining about the temperature in these areas as well.

The pool area was also quite a dissapointment. The whirlpool has a strange odor that does not smell like normal whirlpool chemicals. Also, the pool is quite small. In addition, we were informed that there would be towels in the pool area. We walked down to find one towel that was grease stained and looked like a towel that I wipe down my car with.

The one thing that aggrivated me the most was the following. On the second to last day that we stayed, we went on a peach pick. When we got back to the hotel, we placed our perfectly picked peaches on the floor next to the air conditioner so that they would stay as cold as possible. We then left for three hours to go to the beach. At this time, the maid service had not yet been in to clean our room. When we got back from the beach, we noticed that the maid service had been in to clean the room. I opened the bags of peaches just to check on them. When I opened the bag, I noticed that there was liquid at the bottom of the bags. All of the peaches on the bottom had been bruised and skinned. I ended up having to throw away half of our picks and the other half were not in very good shape. Since we were not gone more than three hours, we can only guess that the maid service ran their vaccuums into the bags. This must be the case because there is no way that perfectly good peaches would have gotten that way within 3 hours. I find it very disheartening that the staff would be so careless with my belongings. I lost money from that and I lost my time.

I saw the normal rate for this hotel on the back of the door as we were leaving. As for me, I would never pay this rate to stay at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carnaenae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
chicago, IL
Reviewed 25 June 2010

Wonderful place to stay, very quiet, nice location and staff.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Union City, Michigan
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Rooms are spacious, clean, well decorated. Staff is friendly and helpful. Check in was quick & courteous.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed 24 March 2010

If you are traveling to New Buffalo, say for some time at the friendly indian reservation. This is a great place to stay. My friend and I had a very clean room, which is all that I ask for. Breakfast was just ok, but there is a McDonalds right down the road. Had to ask for a room change at 2:30 in the morning because my friend had become sick, they promptly granted my request and put me up in a suite for no charge. Like I said, excellent and friendly service.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank glaker91
Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 November 2009

This hotel is very nice. From the inviting decor to the cleanliness and very friendly service, our stay was very good. I would stay here again and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 October 2009

We had a good experience at this hotel. Check in was quick and room was nice. This is a new hotel. The have a continental breakfast each morning with cereal, coffee, frozen waflles, etc. You can sit down in the lobby with a TV and a fresh cup of coffee. It seemed a little pricey around 179 /night but it was close to the Lake, Warren Dunes, Four Winds and 5 local wineries. We went to Tabor Hills winery which has wine tasting daily. It is about a 20 minute drive from the hotel. We tried Rosie's for breakfast and The Stray Dog for lunch/dinner. Both we very good. Also try Oink's for ice cream. We liked the atmosphere more than the ice cream (Coldstone is much better). This is a nice resort town. We'll try it again in the summer when it is more active.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 9 October 2009

The hotel was clean and our room was nice and quiet. Check in and check out was very easy. The breakfast area was a little crowded but the food was good and there was plenty of it. The price was a bit high, but we went on a popular weekend in this touristy area of Michigan.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa
#4 of 16 in Michigan City
Hampton Inn & Suites Michigan City
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Michigan City

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites New Buffalo? Share your experiences!