“Coastal flair and a lot of quirky character” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Stray Dog Bar & Grill

The Stray Dog Bar & Grill
Ranked #1 of 46 Restaurants in New Buffalo
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, View, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Crown Point, Indiana, United States
“Coastal flair and a lot of quirky character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

If you're traveling along the south shore of Lake Michigan and happen to find yourself in the beachside town of New Buffalo then join the townies and tourists at the popular Stray Dog Bar and Grill. The atmosphere, local color and menu (starters, sandwiches, salads and burgers + BBQ chicken and ribs) are perfect for beach town dining. Casual yet chic with a coastal flair and a lot of quirky character (who is that stray dog). You'll enjoy good food and drinks at the bar or table side with friendly service. Great location in downtown New Buffalo near the beach and shopping.

Chicago, Illinois
“Good place to eat, near the public beach.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

The recently rebuilt Stray is an asset to New Buffalo. Good quality food, affordable prices, good local beer. I spent nearly an hour looking at all of their dog photographs - partly because they are so interesting but also because the place is VERY popular in summer. It is at its best in Spring or Fall when there is less pressure.

• Visited July 2013
“Enjoyable Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

The name caught our attention so we stopped on a Sunday, just after opening at 1200 noon. I was looking for a waste basket to throw my coffee cup away when the hostess saw it she said, Is that your coffee?...with a very guarded look on her face. I explained I was looking for a trash can & she said she would throw it out for me. It was quite obvious she didn't want me to bring my own beverage into the restaurant. Perhaps they have trouble w/people bringing in drinks, who knows, I didn't ask but thought it was a bit tacky. What if I did have coffee in it & wanted to get something else to drink???
We were taken through the bar (which was already filling up) to the dining room in the back. It was a lovely view of where the boats would dock(it was Nov, so all boats were in dry dock) & the water was also nice to look at. The fire was blazing & it was nicely decorated w/tree limbs covered in tiny white lights - loved it!
Our waitress was very prompt & helpful. I had the turkey chili in a bread bowl, tasty but a tiny bit too hot for me. The bread bowl had been toasted, a nice touch. My husband had their burger w/cheese & it was done perfectly.
We had a very nice time, good food, good service & would return the next time we're in New Buffalo. I'm sure the rooftop patio is wonderful in the summer....but whatever you do....don't bring your own drink!

Chicago, Illinois
“The perfect place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I came to the Stray Dog twice in the long weekend we spent in New Buffalo. On a whim we went the first time to get a drink after a walk to the beach. The upstairs was open, roomy, and had a fantastic view. We seated ourselves at the bar and we're take care of quickly and with such warmth. The second time we went we decided to have dinner (the food looked delicious from the previous time ) we were able to give our phone # to the hostess and not long after received a text that our table was ready. Our waitress was friendly and knew her stuff! A mistake was made with my order and our waitress graciously took care of it.

Overall amazing place, great vibe, and great people!

• Visited October 2013
Elmhurst, Illinois
“Great place to stop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

My son suggested that we stop at The Stray Dog on our way back to Chicago. Glad we did. I really like a casual, upscale vibe in a restaurant and the bar room in this place does it well. The large selection of craft beers on tap didn't hurt either. The dining area off the bar room seemed quite sterile and was a bit drafty, but we had no problem getting reseated in the bar in spite of the rather uninterested attitude of the hostess. There was no outside seating when we were there, so I can't comment on the terrace. (There's a yacht basin adjacent to the place, so there's probably a nice ambience on the terrace in the warm weather.) I also didn't pay much attention to the menu other than their variations on a hot dog. (Come on, what else was I going to have on my first visit to "The Stray Dog"?) My cheese stuffed and bacon wrapped version was worthy of Hot Doug's in the city and my son said his French dip was excellent as well. Contrary to other reviews, our table service was excellent in spite of the fact that the place was rockin'. Our server was knowledgable about the beers on the menu and attentive to our table. In spite of the few minor negatives, this place has it all over the other dining options in the area and I'd look forward to going back if I were visiting the area or, as in this case, just passing through.

• 3 of 5 bubbles