“Comfortable, with good breakfast buffet”

Residence Inn Detroit Novi
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Novi
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Comfortable, with good breakfast buffet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at the Residence Inn from Friday to Sunday. The studio suite was comfortable but didn't have dishes for oven cooking. I used tin foil and it cooked on the bottom of the stove. Reported it to the front desk and it was cleaned immediately. They also didn't offer dish detergent soap, but there was one package of dishwashing detergent and paper towels. The hot tub was extremely hot and the shower to use before you get into the hot tub was even hotter. I reported it to the front desk and the temperature was 102 degrees, which seemed a bit much, but the staff said it should be between 98 and 102, so it was alright. I disagreed and didn't use the hot tub. The morning breakfast buffet offered eggs, potatoes, sausage, french toast and waffles, with other breakfast breads, cereals and yogurt. It was very filling for the day's activities. There was always coffee in the evenings. The second evening of our stay the coffee was lukewarm and the front desk made fresh coffee which was hot and enjoyable. Several occupants had dogs, so it is very pet friendly. There are weekly evening activities, and an activity list is in the unit. We would definitely stay at this place again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Saginaw, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

The access was easy for a tucked away location. It is very near a nice, large mall with a lot to offer there. The room was clean and the bedding comfortable. Our experience with the staff was great. They were always helpful and very friendly. The pool and hot tub was decent as we traveled with our grand nieces. Being business oriented, they offered (during the week anyway) lite dinner options and had a very respectable breakfast with many choices and Asian options too. A nice money saver with the kids. Overall it was a very satisfying stay.

1 Thank RADIATORMAN1
chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed here for a Red Wings game. Wasn't aware suites only have queen beds and a pull out sofra. Lobby was nice, breakfast was good, staff is super friendly and helpful. They provided us with additional blankets and directions to some local spots. There is a big mall with tons of shopping and places to eat and entertain yourself. It's a little out of the way for Detroit, but close to Novi and the highway. The stairwell smelled a little musty and the rooms are a little dated; older dishwasher, microwave. 2 TVs were provided which is good for kids in seperate rooms. The pull out was a little beat up, but comfortable. There were some tears in the mattress, and a popcorn kernel under, but it was okay. I stay in marriotts all the time, so I would stay here out of brand loyalty, but I won't be in the situation to stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed at this property with my 16yr old son as it was booked for his baseball team attending a tournament in the area. Upon arriving late at night after a very long drive the lady at the front desk was very friendly. We recieved a one bedroom suite with a pullout sofa. They had left a small note wishing good luck with the tournament along with a small bottle of water, gatorade, and granola bar. I thought this was a nice touch. The sofa bed was old and musty smelling and you could feel the springs. The bedding in the bag for the pull out smelled as though it was not cleaned after the last use, but it was very late and we had to be up early so we decided to deal with that the following day. On a side note, we attended a hockey tournament the following weekend and stayed at a Marriott in Warrensville Heights Ohio, and they had pulled out the sofa and made up the bed for us before our arrival! The breakfast provided in the morning was good and is always appreciated during a tournament stay. There is an odd smell in the hallways ( not sure if this is because it is pet friendly) and there always seemed to be bags of garbage and dirty towels in the hallways. The decor and furniture is very dated. Upon returning later in the evening we found that our room had not been attended to by housekeeping. I went to front desk to ask for clean towels and explained that our room had not been cleaned. The response was to only get me towels. They did not ask what room number I was in to maybe see why this happened. For the money I paid I would have expected much more. On the plus side there was plenty of parking and it was free. If in the area again I would look into other properties.

Ada, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

It's a residence inn. Not as nice as some though. Feels older, strange smell. Pool area is inside, small. Breakfast was reasonable, eggs,waffles, miso soup. I would stay again. Great mall area & theater nearby. 2 room suite is large, although beds are VERY firm! Pillows great.

Stayed October 2013
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Would I stay here again? I've had great experiences with other RIs but I was disappointed with this one. I will be the first to admit my experience with the not very helpful manager during checkout certainly changed my opinion of the place from "average" to "not a place I want to stay again unless everything else is booked, so your mileage may vary.

On the morning I was checking out, I found I had an issue with my bill. I went to discuss it with the front desk. They had charged my entire stay to my personal credit card instead of my company's corporate card.

Upon explaining to the front desk staffer, the supervisor / manager (a tall, slim brunette) standing next to her interrupted and said Residence Inn policy didn't allow them to do charge stays against cards unless they were swiped at the front desk or they had received a signed authorization form.

The manager was very abrupt and matter of fact. I felt she was being dismissive of my questions and concerns.

I told her I had not had this situation arise with other Residence Inns before. She looked at me and repeated this was the policy of THIS Residence Inn.

I answered I wished I would have know of this policy earlier but she had already turned around, answered the phone and ignored me from that point on.

Here's the best part - after leaving the hotel I contacted my company's travel department and it turns out that my company DID send in the authorization form before my arrival.

It's unfortunate the manager didn't make an effort to investigate further while I was there, or try to be a little less abrupt with a Marriott guest. I guess she was too busy talking on the phone.

On the plus side:

The mini-suite I was in was very comfortable, kitchenette, utensils, stove, full sized fridge, dining table, sitting area with sofa and TV, TV in the bedroom, etc.

Unfortunately it wasn't very quiet. I could hear noise from the rooms next door and above (I must have had an elephant staying in the room above based on the heavy stomping footsteps).

This RI has the traditional daily evening meal but there's no beer / wine provided, just soft drinks. With the exception of Italian night, the meals were pretty basic. Breakfast and dinner offerings were very basic. Lukewarm powdered eggs and cardboard-like Canadian bacon were the daily breakfast staples, with one fruit offering per day. They also had pastries, croissants, bagels, cereal, and oatmeal.

Interestingly enough, one morning they had sushi available for breakfast - apparently this particular RI is popular with Japanese visitors.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor to avoid elephant stompings over your head.