“Great food, terrible service.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 190 Restaurants in Novi
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
MI
“Great food, terrible service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

We went to Shiro last night for a friends birthday, made a reservation for 25 in advance and had a room upstairs. We were able to arrive at separate times and the waiters were always there to take a drink order amd refill water. Everything was wonderful amd going great until time came to pay the bill. When one couple asked for the check they were informed the restaurant does not split checks for tables more than 10. Needless to say there was 25 of us and that was a major problem. Regardless of knowing there was a problem and after speaking with several different managers/servers no one offered an alternative solution except that they could run separate cards if we told them how much for each. And so the nightmare begins of each person/couple trying to calculate their portion of the bill and line timing each thing. An hour later we were all still sitting in the bar trying to get this sorted and missing the next adventure for the birthday girl. While the frustration level rose, no solution continued to be the theme. The worst part for us= the bartender behind the counter (which was closed, and she had not been involved AT ALL in the situation) began to laugh at us and subsequently entered into a screaming match with several people in our party. It was quite embarrassing and completely uncalled for. The worst part for Shiro staff = many people in our party didn't tip because they were so angry about spending over an hour getting checked out. They can thank the awful women bartending for her kindness towards us. It was quite an awful experience that could have been solved with a little help from the staff. Time for some training I guess!

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Northville, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My Birthday Was Ruined”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I have been to Shiro on more than several occasions, the sushi is and still remains some of the best I have tasted anywhere in the world. For this reason it was the obvious choice for me and 24 of my friends to celebrate my 36th Birthday.

The night was wonderful UNTIL it was time for the bill!!! Now it is apparently the restaurants policy to have one consolidated bill... a policy that was not told to us when we booked, when we arrived or when we asked for the bill. You can imagine 25 people now trying to split a bill that had not even been broken down by the four tables that we were all spread across.

The night then descending into anarchy. Myself and my friends were then at loggerheads as we were all trying to remember who had what , the serving staff and manager was trying to do the best they could to help but by this time we had been trying to sort the bill out for an hour, I was getting very upset as it was a very sad end to a lovely evening.

We were just getting to a point were it looked like it was going to get sorted and from out of nowhere the lady that regularly serves behind the small downstairs bar decided to get involved and makes a flippant comment in a very matter a fact way. I got very cross with her as her tone made an bad situation 10 times worse, then to make it even worse she starts laughing about my sadness as by this time I was in tears.

I have never in my life been spoken to as a customer in this way, i did not get an apology from here however the manager and serving staff apologized on her behalf which i appreciated.

My perfect night had turned into a perfect disaster, Shiro is a beautiful place with wonderful food however 'THAT WOMAN' displayed the rudest and most disgusting level of customer service and for this reason and this reason alone , neither myself, my friends or their families or many people that we recommend to go to Shiro that visit our offices from overseas will be coming to there again.

To the lady behind the bar for what it is worth but i am sure you have no empathy but I will tell you anyway you ruined my birthday but I am glad you had a good laugh about it!!!!!

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alisa H
“LOVE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Love, love, love this restaurant! Beautiful setting, delicious sushi, and wonderful service every time we are here.

• Visited January 2014
Northville, Michigan
“Very nice food in a beautiful setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Went on a Wednesday night. It was busy but not crowded. We sat in the sushi bar area which was nice. The sushi is very fresh and attractive. I had the scallops which were very good and my wife had a Alaskan roll -- also very good, although not real generous with the salmon.

We shared an escargot appetizer which was excellent.

The wine list is varied with reasonable prices. Service from Liam was very good -- he was attentive and helpful throughout.

• Visited December 2013
Birmingham, Michigan
“JUST GO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

So GOOD! My boyfriend took me here because he claimed it was the best sushi he had ever had. He was right! Get the Salmon on the Beach. I love fish, but despise salmon... never liked it. But this was amazing. Ask for extra sauce, it's really good. It's an old, supposedly haunted, house. We sat in the bar area which I liked a lot better than sitting in a random room. The atmosphere was awesome.

• Visited October 2013