“Theives, theives, theives!!!!!”

Sheraton Detroit Novi
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Novi
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Let me apprise you of what happened during our stay at Sheraton hotel by providing you a little background. . In Sheraton, we had 3 events: Sangeet on Friday evening, Wedding on Saturday around lunch time and Reception on Saturday evening. Since we were going to be very busy during that period, we placed the “Do Not Disturb” sign outside our hotel room door to make sure that no outsider enters our room and we can freely place our wedding-related stuff wherever we wish in the room. During the Wedding event, on Saturday around lunch, my two gold bracelets that were given to her by my mother when we got married 30 years ago. This family heirloom had considerable emotional value for us. After the wedding event, I came to the hotel room, took out the gold bracelets and placed them on the nightstand. After some rest, she got ready for the evening Reception event and went back down to the reception hall. Sometime after 10 PM, our wedding planner needed to store something in our car and I went to get the car keys. When I went back to the hotel room to fetch the keys, she found an intruder in the room. Ignoring the “Do Not Disturb” sign, the trespasser had entered the room and was simply standing in the middle of the room without doing anything. When I accosted the trespasser, he identified himself as a Sheraton employee who had come in to clean the room this late at night! I asked the intruder to leave the room and made sure, before leaving herself, that the room was locked and the “Do Not Disturb” sign was properly displayed. When we returned back to our hotel room around midnight and tried to pack our belongings in preparation for the last wedding event at our home,I discovered that her two gold bracelets, which she had placed on the nightstand, were missing. The only person, other than us, who had been in the room, was the trespassing Sheraton employee.

Just for your information, it is very common for Indian women to wear heavy gold jewelry at weddings and other important family events. Unlike 14-karat US gold jewelry, Indian jewelry is made with 22-karat gold and is, therefore, more expensive than what you buy at most of US jewelry stores. Since each of the two bracelets was almost 2 ounces in weight, together they could be easily appraised at more than $4,000. Thus, besides losing a sentimental heirloom, we suffered a considerable financial loss. We believe that this loss occurred due to willful trespassing of a Sheraton employee in our hotel room without our consent and permission. The responsibility of the hotel also lies in the fact that they did not provide us sufficient privacy and security in our hotel room. We feel that the Sheraton hotel must compensate us for the loss that we suffered due to their act of infringement and negligence.

We contacted Sheraton and they were rude and nothing else!!!! Never use this hotel!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mw_0826

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Don't get me wrong, this is a typical business hotel found next to many an interstate or motorway junction. The rooms are very comfortable and clean, with cheerful staff! There is a reasonable gym and a nice pool area. My main gripe is the poor attention to detail in the lobby area and the outside garden. My wife and I stayed here for two nights at the back end of July, firstly, one morning I went down to the lobby area at around 8am to pickup some emails using the free wifi and noticed that on an adjacent table there was someones half eaten muffin and the remains of a drink, however, when I returned to the same area two hours later, it had still not been cleared away! We then went outside to the garden area and was surprised to see the area littered with empty beer cans and other rubbish, clearly leftover from the night before. These are just niggles but it doesn't take much to fix this sort of thing!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Went for a class reunion and stayed three days. Got onto the Club level and would ask for that again. Rooms a good size with a nice view out front away from the freeway.

We were given breakfast coupons valued at $12.95 but to be honest the food was at a B- level.

The best thing was the Starbucks coffee in the Club level lounge and the shopping plaza with a Trader Joes across the street as the restaurant food was just ok.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marcy B
Novi S, Manager at Sheraton Detroit Novi, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Marcy B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sheraton Novi on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time on the newly renovated Club Level. It is unfortunate that you didn't have the same positive impression when it came to our food offerings. We will certainly review this with our team. If you have any other comments you would like to share, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the hotel at 248-349-4000 and ask to speak to the Manager on Duty.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Come to this hotel with low expectations and you'll be happy. Breakfast buffet had eggs made from powder decent bacon sausage waffles the usual fare cost is 12 bucks. The Starbucks kiosk is never open so if you need to leave by six or 7 AM forget it the next Starbucks and down the road in the mall area. Copy service breakfast was Folgers at best and good luck finding cream. It has been recently remodeled so the linens towels and everything are fresh. Don't try to use your SPG points and a paid night flips the staff out. If
you need a refrigerator stay on them I'm pretty sure they only have one. Garden area is nice after a long day of angry Detroit drivers. Pool and spa area use at own risk Spa was brown pool over chlorinated bring your own test strips or risk a fungal infection. Did I mention this place is great for a dark quiet comfortable sleep? Seriously do like the business travellers come in late and leave early you'll love it!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank iwearblack
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Novi/ Livonia has many options for travel. The Sheraton is a nice change of pace. It will cost a little more (no free wifi/ breakfast) but they will make it up to you in room size and gracious front desk.
Parking is a little annoying (mostly on the sides) and the elevators are very slow.
Comfy beds with ample pillows and consistent climate control.

Stayed: July 2014
Novi S, Manager at Sheraton Detroit Novi, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Regionalcoach,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel. Your Sheraton Family certainly understands that you have many options when staying in the Novi area and we truly appreciate that you chose to share your time with us. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back again very soon!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is an excellent hotel; luxurious with a very modern decor, well maintained, and sparkling clean. I was tempted to give them the coveted 5 star rating, but I've chosen to reserve that for only the most spectacular hotels. Likewise, I'll reserve the single star for only the worst hotels. The staff here is mostly congenial and helpful, especially the front desk personnel (Thomas went out of his way to assist us in ordering Chinese food from a local restaurant). Unfortunately, the restaurant staff wasn't quite as accommodating. One of the waitresses prevented a guest from accessing the lunch buffet, even though there was plenty of hot food available, only a few minutes after the posted lunch hour. Several guests who witnessed this were disappointed in her attitude, especially since the staff had not yet even begun to put the food away. Similarly, the bartender gave me a hard time when I asked to borrow a menu to take to my friends near the ballroom (where we were working) so that we could order dinner. After some persuasion, he finally relented. But, that's one of the reasons we opted to order Chinese take-out instead of the food from the restaurant. In spite of these indiscretions, the hotel is so nice that I would probably have given it a 4 1/2 star rating if such was available.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Novi S, Manager at Sheraton Detroit Novi, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear JEddleman,

Thank you for sharing so many great things about your stay as well as some opportunities for us to improve. I assure you that I will pass on your kind words to Thomas and the rest of the team. While I am pleased that you enjoyed a great deal about your stay, I am disappointed that your experience in our restaurant and lounge did not exceed your expectations. We will certainly be taking your feedback to heart and address it accordingly. We look forward to the opportunity to take care of you the next time you are in the Novi area.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I reviewed this Sheraton 2 years ago and they have improved from good to very good .
Club Room is being handled far more professionally and whomever was working in the club room was an excellent ambassador for the hotel as they were VERY pleasant and kept the breakfast and snack areas well stocked. Front desk check in was fine. The hotel does have a snack and sundry area next to check in which I have found quite helpful on many trips. The TIP for today, look for promotions and discounts. One that might be very attractive if you are older is , pay full rack rate first night and get addtional 2 nights rate based on your BIRTH year..Works for the Club floor rates too(free wifi on club floor)...only one "be aware", toilets in room are the very small Cadet size(not very comfortable and not at the "new" comfort height). All else in room was fine and beds are very comfy. Would return.

Room Tip: look for promotional deals