“No Bang for the Buck”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Allen Park, Michigan
“No Bang for the Buck”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I paid $180 for a one night stay in the "jacuzzi suite" with a king bed. I was told when I made the reservation that the jacuzzi was a large 2 person tub. However, all it was was a bathtub with jets.....very disappointing. No continential breakfast. No wet bar as advertised on their website description. We did have a wonderful view of the roof (note: sarcasm) and got to listen to the kids screaming and playing in the pool. The pillows were a mishmash of various levels of fluffiness/flatness, the tv in the bedroom appeared to a relic from the mid-90's. All in all not a good bargain to cost ratio.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank William J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

The good--Staff is wonderful. Everyone I dealt with was friendly and helpful. The pool/hot tub area is very nice and well maintained with a nice lounge area adjacent. There is a restaurant in the building but it is rather pricey.

The bad--the rooms are a bit cramped and the pillows are horrible.

The ugly--the location stinks! This hotel is behind a major regional retail center. Getting in and out is a pain at any time. I was there last the week before Christmas and the hotel was nearly inaccessible. Fortunately, from a prior stay I knew there's a back way in off Donellson Drive & Twelve Mile Road. Otherwise I'd have torn my hair out.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mavid79
Clio, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

I was nervous about going here after reading some bad reviews. Several complained about tube style TV's, but they are fine...heaven forbid you take a break from the 60" LCD you "need" at home! I only use hotel chains that have fresh and newly built facilities. This hotel is nowhere near new and it is not what one would expect from what Crowne Plaza once WAS. It has been renovated very well, and was very clean. It shows age in some areas, but it has new carpet and paint (current popular colors), no "old" odors to it and the pool smell is only around the pool (ask for a room down the hall away from it if you're anal about it), new granite and marble in the bathrooms, and the pool and hot tub were great. Towels were as thick as rugs! The staff was 100%! And the price was less than all in the area. The best part of this location: it is within walking distance of more shopping and dining than you could dream of!!! Not the nicest place I've ever stayed, but I'd go back for a night away from home!

Room Tip: The entrance to the hotel is actually on the entrance ramp to I-96 West. You may think your GPS is w...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank scott s
Muskegon, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

The colors in the rooms are very depressing. The hotel is very much in need of a more modern look. I went with my husband to visit relatives. I tried to find any reason not to be in the room. The management should spend some money on making this hotel "fresher" and not so drab.

The hotel has the old fashioned televisions with the curved screen. The pool in the middle caused there to be a chemical smell. I did not like the fact that the coffee mugs and glasses are only washed in the room sink. Is that hygienic ?

On the positive side, some of the employees seem to really care, but what can they do?

Room Tip: A room with sun, because the rooms are very dark.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sarah D

Travellers are raving about these Novi hotels

Philly
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

When you think Crowne Plaza, you think top of the line Holiday Inn property. I would describe this property to be more in the line of a Holiday Inn. Just didn't have the spark/ambience of a high end hotel. The rooms were average, nothing terrible. The towels were thin, small and rough. The TVs had picture tubes... small point, but it speaks to the overall property. If you need to stay at this property, don't expect high end, but it's satisfactory.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Howard S
Algonquin, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

I just checked into the Corwne Plaza. Nice enough front desk although it was understaffed and resulted in a wait with a samll crowd. I dont get what Crowne Plaza is trying to be since they advertise as upscale but appear a lot less. The room was clean but had old picture tube TV's in what they described as a mini-suite. The bathroom was clean but the sink was scrathed and in disrepair with a generally bad appearance. The sitting room had a couch and a desk but was devoid of any art on the walls or other extras and had the feeling of a jail cell. I stayed in room 317 which also faced the interstate with ALOT of road noise. I don't understand why the Crowne Plaza brand just doesn't advertise for what they are, an older brand with older hotels that are mediocre at best. I keep expecting more each time I try a new one but I am always disappointed. (Yes I finally am giving up.)
Bottom line- its OK if you need somewhere to sleep but it is not a luxury hotel with great ammenities. You are just as well off in a Holiday Inn Express which usually has better TV's.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Charlie3446
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

My company sent me to novi for training and the hotel staff made the trip worth while. The training was good but anything that we needed we could trust that the hotel staff would take care of us. They went above and beyond in every way. Thanks for a great stay :)

• Stayed October 2011