“Good hotel!”

Novi Oaks Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Novi
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Normally I am staying in the Baronette, close by.
This time I was booked here in the Crowne Plaza. Actually a good hotel, nice setting inside the hotel.
What other reviewers write too, is true, the hotel is no longer new.
On the other hand it was clean and I found the price/quality was also good.

Breakfast in the Deli, in the same building: fast service, nice portions [that is: not too big!]

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Novi Oaks Hotel

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Furniture is falling apart. Pillows are the worse of any hotel ever. Expect to wait hours if you need extra towels. Don't bother asking for more tissues if you run out because they'll never bring them. You might want to bring clothes pins because you'll need them for your nose if you use the lobby restrooms

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank musussman
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Dear musussman,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work
very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we
strive to be the best Crowne Plaza around. It sounds like we fell below
your expectations especially on our staff services, furniture and
bathroom amenities. We take all reviews positive and negative very
seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or
your next visit.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

We checked in and when we entered our room, the smell was so bad we had to leave (sulphur?). They gave us another room, which seemed fine. The indoor pool is in the middle of the hotel so the whole lobby area is humid and warm. So was our room. The air conditioning never worked the whole weekend. Didn't really notice it at first because the whole hotel was hot.
Workout room was dark and couldn't they put a fan in there? ugh.
Pillows are the worst I've ever seen. They've obviously attempted to redo the rooms...but forgot to get new toilets.
The staff were very nice. The food was good in the deli but the service was so slow, some of us had to leave without ever getting our food.
Used a groupon so it was pretty cheap, but would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Dear lisa829,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Crowne Plaza around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and the food in the deli.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the the room amenities such as the air conditioning and the pillows as well as the condition of the workout room. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed one night and were happy with the room. It was clean, the bed was big & comfortable, the room had a working fridge. The hotel was big & seemed fairly deserted on a Thursday night. The front desk people were friendly and there were 2 computers and a printer available just off the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 11 June 2012

The Crown Plaza was probably an impressive hotel during its heydays. However, it has definitely gotten a older and has not aged as well. I would have give this hotel a two rating but I felt that the staff was above average and worked hard to make me feel welcomed.

When you walked in, you will noticed that it is one of those hotels where the room doors faces the inside of the hotel. There is a large open area that is fairly impressive. However, you also start noticing the smell of chlorine in the air. This is due to the indoor swimming pool that is located on the first floor. If you can't stand the smell of chlorine, this might offend you.

The room itself was quite well appointed. I felt that the bed and the pillow were excellent. However, in my room, the refrigerator was plugged in and making a buzzing sound. I immediately unplugged it. I had nothing to cool/chill and I had rather not have that sound. I was in a ground floor room so it got a bit noisy sometimes especially when someone was using the swimming pool.

My main complaint about this hotel is the wireless internet. It was barely usable in my room. In fact, I ended up writing all my e-mails in my room and then running out into the lobby to get a better connection. The only positive to this is that I met a few other folks like myself who could not get a decent connection in their room. At least I knew it wasn't a problem that only I had. The front desk tried to help but there is only so much they can do. I know that the Crown Plaza chain does not advertise themselves as a business hotel. However, I have been to cheap hotels that have way better wireless internet than this hotel. We had booked 4 rooms at this hotel and only 1 room, the one on the second floor, had a decent connection.

When my stay got extended by a day, I chose to book another hotel further away than to stay at this hotel. It was troublesome to have to pack up but I still felt it was worth it. I don't think I can recommend this hotel unless they resolve this issue.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the first floor or in the further reaches of the hotel if you want to have s...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SANsna
Reviewed 5 June 2012

First off, the hotel was very difficult to get to, hidden away and the entrance to the hotel was difficult to determine. Finally found it and they offered valet parking. This is smart because the way the hotel is laid out there really isn't a quick and easy route to walk to your room. And the valet would've been nice to use, if he didn't completely ignore us.
We finally get inside the hotel and it's gorgeous! We go to check in at the front desk and the two staff members look like their dog just died they were so miserable. They were also pretty rude. We head for our room and it's on the other side of the main lobby area. In the middle of this area is the pool and Jacuzzi's. We didn't swim, but they definitely looked really nice. Again, looked like a nice pool area, but our room was right next to it and they have the pool open til 11pm. So if you are planning on quiet before 11pm you won't get it.
We walk into the room and it's a standard size room with the bathroom being a bit smaller than normal. A couple more things - There was no fridge when they said there would be. There was a mirror that covered one entire wall and faced the bed...awkward. The bed was NOT comfortable at all. The remote wouldn't work. And when we called the front desk, we had to call 3 times before someone answered. And as I said before, with the pool being open right outside our door people were very loud until almost midnight so we couldn't sleep before that.
All in all, this was a terrible experience. Many aspects of the hotel LOOK really nice. But as we experienced...looks can definitely be deceiving.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the south side away from the lobby and pool. Hopefully it's quieter and I think...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank brookemcfarland
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear brookemcfarland,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to address this with you further. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Connie D

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Foremost I had appreciated the cleanliness of the room and the bathroom. Beds were comfortable and also very clean. Lots of pillows and bathroom amenities. Our stay was short, we attended a wedding and we stayed only one night. Breakfast we got coupons for, served at a nearby restaurant (Deli), and also service there, was outstanding.Overall a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family