“Decent Lodging”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Grapevine, Texas
“Decent Lodging”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The hotel was clean, the room was nicely appointed. The staff could have been more friendly... They were quite busy, but still, I expect a hotel to offer excellent customer service. The housekeeping staff was much friendlier than the front desk staff. Nice workout facility, it was clean, and I felt comfortable there by myself.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear Julie C,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the cleanliness of our hotel and the room accommodations you received. Please allow us to apologize for the service you encountered that fell below your expectations and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into.

Thank you for staying and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Novi, MI.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I have wanted to stay at this hotel for a while, as I have had good experiences in the past with Crowne Plaza hotels and regularly visit the Novi area both for business and leisure.

While the rooms and interior hallways have been renovated in recent years, this is a very dated hotel. The lobby is dark, uninviting and lacks any atmosphere. Staff was friendly, but not overly welcome compared with other hotel chains where staff are trained to greet guests by their name (Mr/Mrs. ---) upon registration. I received no special recognition, despite being a Priority Club member. I also didn't receive a morning newspaper.

My king bedroom very clean with the exception of a half-filled bottle of beer that was left in the closet from a previous guest. The bathroom was bright and also clean (I’m a stickler for cleanliness). The room had a connecting door, but the adjoining room wasn’t occupied when I stayed and noise wasn’t an issue. In general, the hotel seemed very quiet – almost too vacant for a weeknight as there wasn’t any noise and I only ran into perhaps a dozen guests in the lobby during my stay. The complimentary high-speed wireless internet was a nice amenity. The TV was of reasonably quality, but the selection of channels could have been better. I couldn’t find a channel to watch the Detroit Red Wings playoff game, which was an inconvenience. I did have a problem with the air conditioning. No matter what I tried, I couldn’t get the room temperature below 75 degrees. Perhaps I was doing it wrong, but it wouldn’t work for me and I shouldn't have to be an air conditioning tradesman to figure it out. The room had a balcony overlooking a courtyard, which contained chairs, tables and a pool. The pool was unfilled and uncovered, which didn’t make for a pleasant sight. The balcony was also covered in bird feces, which didn’t make going out there too appealing.

The Crowne Plaza doesn’t have a hotel bar or bistro, which is almost unheard of these days. It has a deli, which serves up breakfast and lunches. The menu was decent, but it felt like a blue-collar Coney Island-style diner and not a hotel restaurant. Both health conscious selections on the menu and calorie count information -- two things that are essential to many business travelers these days -- were missing from the menu. I ordered a yogurt parfait with fresh fruit and granola ($6), but sent it back after taking a couple bites of it. It was room temperature (yogurt should be chilled to cold) and tasted more like lukewarm oatmeal. There wasn’t anything else on the menu that was appealing, so I left. I then went to the gift shop, adjoining the front desk, but there wasn’t really anything in there except for candy, junk food and soda pop. The other restaurant is a steakhouse that opens for dinner, but is incredibly expensive even by hotel standards. The lack of dining options, in my opinion, really hurts this hotel.

One thing the hotel does have is an exceptional location. However, it needs major improvements. The whole property is very tired and dated. The landscaping, especially on the sides of the hotel, is overgrown with weeds or no grass. The parking lot is so big that even if the hotel was full the lot would be empty, which doesn’t give one a favorable first impression. Who wants to stay at a hotel when there are only a dozen or so cars parked in a parking lot with several hundred spaces?

You can do much better in Novi for the same price or cheaper. The Sheraton, Renaissance and even some of the extended-stay corporate-geared inns offer better value for money than the Crowne Plaza. To be honest, I think some of the newer Holiday Inn hotels are better than this particular hotel. I wouldn’t stay here again, unless major improvements were made.

Room Tip: Request a room away from elevator and interior lobby courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
LBurchCpNovi, Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
The Crowne Plaza of Novi would like to thank you for your comments as they are extremely important to us. Our Guest feed back is enables us to continuously improve our services in order to provide 100% guest satisfaction to all of our guest.

We've found that our property is an acquired taste. Often times, our guest love that our property is an older hotel with great character, charm and great updates. Others, honestly do prefer a newer more modern hotel. Our challenge is finding a great medium of which all guest will love. This task alone requires great guest surveys as this one. We want to hear the voice of our guest, we want to learn what they want and try 100% to accomodate them.

Your survey will provide valuable training for all departments with in our hotel. We thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we are doing and what we can do to earn your ten...

We so hope to see you soon! We would love the opportunity to service you again, and provide the great service that our guest have come to expect from a Crowne Plaza.

Travellers are raving about these Novi hotels

New Berlin, WI
Reviewed 27 April 2013

The Internet did not work and the front desk was unable to help. The refrigerator whine was constant. The bed squealed loudly whenever I moved. Apparently I shift positions frequently during the night. The room aromatherapy samples had 2/3 unopened and intact. Also, the tv station guide had no relation to any station available. And there was no bath mat, yet the towels were not accessible from the tub/shower.

It is the little things that help make a stay enjoyable. The room is a good size, and the location is fine. The staff is friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
LBurchCpNovi, Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
You are absolutly correct! It is the little things...
I would like to apologize on the behalf of our entire staff for not executing the little things and making your stay %100 enjoyable. We thank you for your feedback on our property as well as our customer service. The feed back received from our guests helps us in our training and communicating process. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly if you would like to speak with a member of our management staff. We offer a direct platform for discussion of the issues presented at your earliest of convienence.

Thank you, Have a great day!
Canfield, Ohio
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I was there from 4/8 to 4/12/2013.
The 1st room they put me into was on the 2nd floor. In the bathroom both outlets were broken and my tub did not drain. The TV was not working well as the audio was not synced to the video. The picture quality was terrible. I asked for a room change and had to go to the front desk with dripping wet hair. She moved me to another room. When I got into that room the TV was still out of sync and both lamps beside my bed were broken. By that time I was so tired that I just need to bear it through. The next day when I came back to my room after my conference there were no towels in my room. The cleaning staff took my old towels and did not replace them. The day after that they did not leave me any coffee for my room. Lastly, both machines on my floor were broken. I will never stay in a Crowne Plaza ever again!

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Amy S
LBurchCpNovi, Front Office Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
We thank you for providing a review about your stay. It was unfortunate to see your experience was not in line with what our guest have come to expect form our Hotel. We take each review we receive very seriously as it is an invaluable tool we use for periodic training and evaluations for our hotel. We would love the opportunity to follow up with you directly. Our hotel General Manager extends a direct platform for further discussion at your earliest of convenience. We value you as our Guest and forward to the next opportunity to be of service to you.

If you would like to discuss the issues presented with in your review with the Hotels General Manager Please feel free to call her directly at The Crowne Plaza of Novi, MI. 1-248-348-5000 EXT. 698
Reviewed 18 March 2013

When we arrived at the hotel, it appeared to be very nice, however when we walked in there was this overwhelming chlorine smell that left our eyes burning for 20 min after being in our room. We get the keys for our rooms and take the elevator to the 2nd floor (this was the only time on our trip them elevator worked). Got to our rooms avoing the walls because they were just painted, and my key didnt work.... I go all the way downstairs get a new key.. Take the stairs because the elevator is now broken... Get to my room and there is filth behind the bed, in the bathroom, my room was missing soaps and stuff like that, sheets were so scratchy, and the pillows smelled like b.o., went to they ice machine, that didnt work either! We decided to try the hot tub, it was cold and burned your eyes. The next morning we were told we get a free breakfast, it even was on our receipt... When we went down there to try and salvage the trip we found out that we had to pay for the.breakfast too! I will never stay there or any other trashy crowne plaza agian!

• Stayed March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Travel25now,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor customer service from our staff and poor housekeeping. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Novi, Michigan
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Hats off to the service given to me trying to get in-room service with my computer.
Christian Taylor at the Crowne Plaza was a huge help. The wake up calls were on time and worry free. Very much appreciated.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
LBurchCpNovi, Front Office Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
We thank you so much for taking the time to bring your great experience with our staff to our attention. It is not everyday that we hear of the Great customer service we pride our selves on providing. I was very pleased to hear that One of our staff members created a great guest experience for you during your stay with us. We will be sure to commend the parties involved and make sure that he is thanked for his good deed.

We sincerely Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Clio, Michigan
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I have reviewed this place before as we now make this an annual trip for a one night family getaway. The price for this location is better than most places in the area and offers a pretty good value for your money. This is not as nice as you would hope/expect for the Crowne Plaza name, but it's not bad. It's an older facility that has been reasonable rennovated. Great pool and hut tub area. I always request a room away from the pool to reduce noise/chlorine odor. TV's are all brand new since my last visit, wifi, hot tub, exercise room, and showers are highlights of this place. All are exceptional. Great location for any shopping or food you could imagine! The only issue I had this trip was ice machines were all out of ice due to very busy night with girls soccer team in the facility. Staff was great!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the pool. Awy from elevator is helpful as they can be a bit loud.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
All smiles! :~) Thank you so much for always leaving us comments on our facility and our service. We most certainly welcome all comments whether good or bad and always welcome the feedback from a repeat guest. Your repeat stays let us know that our guest notice that we are most certainly listening to your responses and trying our very best to accommodate as best as possible.

Thank you again for choosing The Crowne Plaza for your hotel accommodations, we look forward to seeing you soon. :~)