“Watch your credit card for extra charges days later.”
Review of Novi Oaks Hotel

Novi Oaks Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Novi
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This was a quick stay that ended up costing me 5x the price of the room. I checked in on saturday- room was small but fine for sleeping. My two friends and i went to fountain walk for dinner, movie, bowling and came back to sleep wake up shower and leave. I was charged for the room after check out (sunday). On Monday afternoon I was then charged $400.00!!!! I was never called or notified in any way so I called and was told i broke a table in the room. I was given no other answers but was told I could go to the hotel to see pictures.

So I packed up my 4 year old and 1 year old and drove over an hour to go talk to them as I knew this was a mistake. I gave ample time and opportunity to be assisted and I was not. I was told the manager wasn't in and that I couldn't see or have the table (that I was charged for) as it was in the dumpster. I was shown pictures that were of a DESTROYED table but was told it was standing in the room until the maid moved it and it then fell apart. The pictures had no background present as I would have loved to see if it was even my room. I was told the room was occupied so I couldn't see that either.

Later I was told it was actually a marble topped desk and should have only been $200.00, they made a "mistake" I haven't seen any change in my bank account and we didn't have a desk in our room. Days later when I finally spoke to someone again I was told it was a "mistake" again and it wasn't marble topped it was a regular desk (again we didn't even have a desk in our room) and I would only be charged $150.00. I have seen no refunded money, I don't have the desk I was charged for, and no explanation for all of the "mistakes" and why I'm being charged for a table that was standing until one of their employees moved it....seems fishy to me.

End story: STAY AT THE HILTON GARDEN INN or RESIDENCE INN they are in the same location and easier to get to and you wont be in the hole after it all.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aimee O
LBurchCpNovi, General Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Detroit Novi, your comments are very important to us.
It is the hotel's policy to collect a deposit at the time of check in for incidentals or damages from all guests. Our guest service associates do state that policy at check in.
Upon hearing about your concern, I investigated the room and pictures of the broken desk and found that the desk was not our new marble top desk but was a wood desk that was broken. As a result, we reduced your charge to $150 instead of the original $400 for the cost to repair or replace the desk.
We certainly do apologize for not informing you immediately of the charges and are implementing a policy to follow up with guests after check out when damages do occur to the guest rooms.
We hope that you will understand that we have deposit policies in order to ensure the quality of our hotel for all of our guests and their future stays at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Detroit Novi.
Thank you once again for your comments and we wish to ensure you that they are taken very seriously.

There are newer reviews for Novi Oaks Hotel

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel because it was on a list of suggested hotels that my employer provided to me, and my previous experience with Crowne Plaza's has been very positive. This one, howver, is a different story. It would appear that the building used to be a Sheraton (?) as the access street is Sheraton Drive, with no Sheraton hotel nearby. Parking is very inconvenient relative to the main entrance, and inside it is tired and in need of repair. Examples: During my stay, their main computer system was down, the main elevator was broken and unusable, the remaining elevators were located far away and all needed work (lights burned out, things broken, loud squeaks). The hallways are dark and not air conditioned. The room itself was OK. Best part of the hotel was the breakfast, which was unexpectedly good and I would recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear IrishAyes8490,

Thank you for your review, detailing the good and highlighting the opportunities to improve. I am very pleased that the breakfast served during your stay met your expectations. However, I'd like to apologize that we fell below your expectations on many aspects especially with the state of the facilities on site and parking being inconvenient. We take all feedback seriously and we will use your comments to improve on our efforts.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 July 2013

The hotel was fairly decent. The staff seemed extremely friendly. The pools were nice. I really liked the fact that there was an indoor pool and an outdoor pool. The location of the indoor pool was interesting. It was right in the lobby. Really nice for not having that whole stuffy, chlorine filled room that most hotels have but I was not going to swim in the pool that was right in the lobby. The kids said it was really nice though. Kind of loud when you first walk in the hotel and the pool is full of kids.

The elevators were a little on the scary side. A little jumpy. I would have liked to have more than 3 towels in the room, we had to go track down extras. I think any time that a room is set up to have 4 people sleep in it, they should have at least enough towels & washclothes for all of the guests.

The room was nice. The hotel overall was nice. It was quite, the beds were comfortable. One funny thing I noticed was that the faucets on the bathroom sink were backwards, the hot and cold were switched from normal.

I would stay there again, especially for the price we got on hotwire.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
LBurchCpNovi, Front Office Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete a trip adviser review for our hotel. Our guest feedback is very valuable to us. Happy to know that the kids loved the pool and that you as parents also loved the option of having both and indoor and outdoor pool accessible for you.

I truly apologize for your having to track down your own towels during your stay with us. We want you to know that we offer 24 hour staff assistance for all of our guests needs at just a phone call away. During your next stay with us put us to the test.... We will try our best to make your stay more than a nice place to stay for a night! We promise.

Have a great day and thanks again :~)

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Not a great stay. Felt like i needed to wear my shoes in all areas of the room. Staff did respond promptly when it sounded like maybe a movie was being shot in the room next to me.
Good gym, lots of room. Close to Cherry blossom restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

One of the great assets to the Crowne Plaza is our wonderful staff! I am always pleased to know that our staff responded quickly to our guest needs and concerns and also that they were able to make your stay more comfortable. We apologize if our other guests were unruly and usually when noise complaints are made we take them very seriously, we have a no tolerance for disruptive behavior. Please accept our apologies for the incident.

Glad that you enjoyed our gym, please feel free to let us know if you have suggestions of which may improve our facility. We thank you for caring enough to let us know the good and bad and would love your feedback on ways to improve.

We look forward to hearing from you soon and offer direct contact information if you feel the need to share ideas, give feedback or if you would like to discuss your stay in further detail. I can be reached @ lburch@cpnovi.com.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

Very nice room besides the fact that we didn't have a refrigerator and an empty cabinet. Also, there was a refrigerator in an adjoining room and the staff came in and took it without our permission. I don't like knowing someone was in our room without our knowledge except for a missing fridge...

Room Tip: I didn't have a refrigerator in my room and an empty cabinet didn't look nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
LBurchCpNovi, Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Thank you for takiing the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. We were happy to view that you enjoyed your stay.

We apologize sincerely for the miscommunication with the refrigerators. The Crowne Plaza of Novi offers the use of refrigierators upon guest request and also based on availability. Our refrigerators are an additional cost of $10 per night for usage.

The cabinet in the room remains empty unless the request for a refrigerator has been made. Often times we find that our guest whom do not require a refrigerator to be placed with in their rooms use the additonal storage cabinet for luggage and or food items. Again, we apologize for any inconvience that this may have caused during your stay.
The refrigerator located within the additional room was placed there at the request of the previous guest. Housekeeping removed the refrigerator to ensure that the room was not charged for the usage of the refrigerator. I sincerely apologize for our staff not properly communicating with you. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to speak with a manager in regards to the issue presented. I can be reached @ 1-248-348-5000.

Thank you so much for completing the review, we look forward to servicing you soon...

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Had a great day/evening at the hotel. The staff was very efficient and nice and the room was very clean. Also, a lot of nice places to shop and eat. Only one minor problem was with the TV station, couldn't find Fox Sports? Overall, great experience.

Room Tip: Only stay here once and the room was nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
LBurchCpNovi, Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Thank you so much for the positive review! We were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Crowne Plaza of Novi.

We would also like to thank you for letting us know of your difficulty in finding the Fox station. We wanted you to know that our management staff is working with our service provider to assist us with locating and matching the exact listings for all of our channels. Your valuable feedback will help to save our future guest the trouble and also help our staff to provide exceptional service.

Hope to see you soon. :~)

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The hotel was clean, the room was nicely appointed. The staff could have been more friendly... They were quite busy, but still, I expect a hotel to offer excellent customer service. The housekeeping staff was much friendlier than the front desk staff. Nice workout facility, it was clean, and I felt comfortable there by myself.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear Julie C,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the cleanliness of our hotel and the room accommodations you received. Please allow us to apologize for the service you encountered that fell below your expectations and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into.

Thank you for staying and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Novi, MI.

Anthony M