“Crowne Plaza not up to Others I have Stayed At”
Review of Novi Oaks Hotel

Novi Oaks Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Novi
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Crowne Plaza not up to Others I have Stayed At”
Reviewed 8 August 2008

Spent two nights while on vacation at the Crowne Plaza because we had friends in Novi, Michigan. I have stayed at Crowne Plaza's in the past and this one was recommended by others on this site, but it did not live up to my expectations.

We chose this area because it was easy to get to the Freeways and the Malls but next time I would check out the other nearby hotels. When we checked in, the front desk person was okay but not overly friendly. The hotel has been refurbished and you can see some very nice upgrades like the tile in the bathroom. But you can also see items that were not taken care of such as the bathroom door jam. It was all maked up. We did appreciate the luggage carts available to the guests.

The bed was a pillow top bed which we found too soft. We both woke up with shoulder aches. Be sure you like pillow tops! Our main complaint was the drapes. The room as sheer blinds that you can close but it let's the light in. Heavier drapes are on the window but they are sewn so you can't close them. They did give a clip so you can gather up the material and block out about 75% of the light.

We stayed both a Saturday night and a Sunday night. The elevator broke on Saturday after we checked in and was not fixed by the time we checked out on Sunday. I had to ask where another elevator was at. They did not indicate it on the sign that the elevator was broken.

There is a pool in the main atrium of the hotel. We did not go into but it looks small and a basic pool.

There is nothing special about the place; an average hotel for this class. We paid for a non-refundable night to get a special rate and booked 3 weeks in advance.

• Liked — The location in Novi and by the Mall
  • Disliked — Could not close the drapes to block out the light
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 127_Hill_Country

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
West Bloomield
Reviewed 9 July 2008

This hotel was just a wonderful stay for me and my family. If I would request one hotel it would be this on. This hotel gives you so many options and there is so many places to go that are just walking distance. In the winter, you can use their hot tub, sauna, and INDOOR pool and in the summer you can relax in their outdoor pool. Their renovations are just amazing and the rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The bedding is outstanding. Also, with a restaurant on property it makes everything very easy.

• Liked — The rooms were just amazing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Dla1109
Eastern Iowa
Reviewed 10 February 2008

I was shocked when I walked into this hotel. The lobby opens up to a beautiful atrium similar to Embassy Suites. There was a great waterfall and the pool was in this area. It was perfect and I wished my family was with me so I could enjoy it. I'm a platinum priority member and received a hot cookie and bottled water upon check in. The room was typical for a Crowne Plaza. There were good cable TV choices. I did have problems with the wireless signal being dropped frequently. I was at the end of the hotel and maybe they don't have enough signal points around the hotel. If the internet had worked better I would have rated this hotel excellent. It's not extravigent but it's a great functional hotel for business and families. Freeway access couldn't be better.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — internet access
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank FrqTravlr