“Beautiful hotel, great location!”
Review of Novi Oaks Hotel

Novi Oaks Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Novi
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Pros: beautiful hotel, love the pool and hot tub, loved our master suite ($290 a night and worth it), great location. Loved the ambiance with the dim lighting at night and the pianist playing, very relaxing!

Cons: no one knows anything about the rooms at the front desk. I called ahead about our master suite to see how big the freezer was, the guy said it didn't have one and I told him when I booked the room they told me there would be a fridge/freezer. He eventually said he thinks there is a fridge with a small freezer, ugh. There is a fish tank behind the front desk that looks like a swamp and has no fish. I am a fish breeder, it takes a really long time to look that bad, several weeks. It is a super easy fix, clean it, cycle it and refill with fish, why the heck would you have this looking this bad when you check in? As for the koi pond, the water level is way too low, the surrounding rocks were bone dry so it wasn't like they were draining it and refilling it as I looked at the fish. The fins were sticking out of the water, koi need more than that, this is fish abuse if you ask me. There was plenty of room to add several inches, no excuse.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank MrsTraveler1
There are newer reviews for Novi Oaks Hotel

Reviewed 14 January 2014

This hotel is, first of all, difficult to find. GPS doesn't know how to get you there, and if you're arriving in the dark be aware that they have no lighted signage of any kind. Staff was pleasant, but the hotel feels very dated to me. The pool is in the center of an open atrium, basically in the middle of the lobby...strangest thing I've ever seen. As you can imagine, an open atrium with a pool in the middle of it makes for VERY NOISY rooms if you are lucky enough to be in the rooms circling the atrium. It sounded like a pool party in my room pretty much all the time. There is also a grand piano in the lobby with a very talented woman playing it at seemingly random times. Again, the acoustics in the open atrium make the piano sound extremely loud! I could clearly hear it in my room a floor away. Between the pool party and the piano concert, this is by far the noisiest room I've ever stayed in. Insulating the room doors might be a good idea.

The bed wasn't very comfortable and the pillows were terrible...like bricks. A free breakfast would drastically improve the impression of this hotel. Lots of shopping and restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for something as far away from the atrium as possible.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rogue_kielbasa
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear rogue_kielbasa,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so pleased you liked the friendliness of our staff. Please allow us to apologize for the challenges you had in finding our hotel and the experience you had with your room accommodations did not live up to your expectations. We also apologize for the noise you have encountered and the layout of our hotel lobby was less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I recently stayed here for a shopping trip getaway and a place for my kids to get a little swim time at the end of the day. I debated over a few different hotels in this area and decided on Crowne Plaza based on the positive pool reviews for my kids. I was a bit leery about staying with Crowne Plaza due to a poor experience last summer at another location. I ended up pleased with my decision. The rooms are a bit dated and the layout of the hotel is strange in the fact that I stayed in a suite and had a view of nothing more than a rooftop. The pool area however was very nice and impressive to children...the coy pond/river surrounding the pool and atrium area was a nice touch. I was most impressed by the customer service. All staff I encountered were friendly and helpful. The woman working the late night shift on my January 3rd-4th stay was wonderful and very good with kids (Bernadette I think), which meant a lot to me because the purpose of my trip was to give my kids a fun little getaway. Handy location for Novi entertainment including Twelve Oaks mall, many good dining choices, a great little bowling ally and a nice movie theatre. I would visit again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank michellyn
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The stay started off on the wrong foot...As I was checking in, I asked the lady if she needed to see my rewards card. She very nicely stated that it was already connected to the room, and would not need it. Then, out of nowhere, another lady steps to the counter and quite rudely stated "you booked through the internet, we can't give you the points." I explained that I had called several months prior, and was assure that the points would be credited. The rude lady again said they would not. She stated the companies policy was to give points only if booked directly. I told her I understand, and policy is policy. However, the fact that she was so rude about everything was quite upsetting.
When we finally got to the room, I realized there was not a refrigerator as promised. I called the front desk, and maintenance did bring a refrigerator to the room in about 5 minutes, which was much appreciated. As the maintenance man was leaving, he handed me a screwdriver and informed me that they have been having problems with the bathroom door locking, and showed me how to open it with the screwdriver.....I thought to myself "what kind of hotel gives out screwdrivers to open doors...?"
After an evening out, we returned to the hotel. That's when we realized that the toilets barely flushed (There was still urine in the toilets after flushing). Maintenance had to come to the room on 2 different occasions to unplug the toilet.
The pool in the hotel was extremely cloudy, and very uninviting as well.
Overall, I was very unsatisfied with the stay and will most likely choose a different hotel chain in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank DFrank17
Susan S, General Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear DFrank17,
Thank you for your stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Novi and your recent review. It is extremely disappointing to hear that your stay was less than perfect at our hotel. Unfortunately, due to the deeply discounted rates that are occasionally offered through third party booking sites IHG Rewards points are not offered however, that is certainly no excuse for rudeness. I would be happy to extend points for your stay simply due to your loyalty to the IHG brand. Your feed back is very helpful to us as we identify areas for which we need additional training. I have shared your comments with the staff and apologize on their behalf for your experience.
With regard to the maintenance issues, our engineer was also unfortunately, aware of a glitch in the doorway and was attempting to be helpful but inadvertently made an error in judgment. I assure the issue has been corrected and we would be honored to have you stay with us again as I am confident that you will have a better experience.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights. Upon check-in, I was given a room farthest from the entrance in what seemed like an almost empty hotel. It is always good to have a complimentary breakfast when you are paying close to 100 bucks a night for an average hotel. But you will be paying about 10 bucks for breakfast buffet here. From what I remember, it is not any different than what you would get in a complimentary buffet. Location is another downside. This hotel is tucked behind hotels and department stores. It was a little difficult to find. I would not mind staying here if I found a room for cheaper price. It is somewhat close to the neighborhood where most of thee restaurants are. But will definitely not pay 3 digits to stay here.

Room Tip: I had asked for a room overlooking the indoor swimming pool. Did not get one. But I suggest lookin...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear expedition17,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We visited the hotel for an event and spent the night. The atrium near the lobby was very nice...although a little odd to have a pool out in the open. The hallways to the rooms gave the impression of a very moderate hotel and the painted areas in the halls and rooms seemed somewhat sloppy to me. The rooms were acceptable, bathroom was small but certainly adequate, room was quiet, bed was comfortable. Overall, was a nice enough stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

This was a little anniversary get away for us. Our plan was to visit Novi and spend the day together at the Christmas Wonderfest, Christmas shopping at the Novi mall, have a nice meal and stay the night at a Novi hotel. The shopping was wonderful, unfortunately tho, we chose this hotel and the Novi Chop House. Our original plan was to have dinner at the Melting Pot but we chose the Novi Chop House because it was convenient, we had never eaten there and the reviews were great. Upon reading the choices for hotels via TripAdvisor, the Crowne Plaza offered reasonable rates, a courtesy breakfast and the highly rated Novi Chop House, so why not stay? Here's why. When making the reservations we asked the gal what she thought of the Chop House, she didn't know because she had never eaten there. Upon check-in we asked for a quiet room and were given a room on the third floor in the atrium next to the pool. After relocating to a different room away from the atrium, our room was quiet however the bed was as hard as a rock and the pillows were like cement blocks. So why did we stay? Because it was a long, cold, day, our dinner (along with others seated near us) and service at the Chop House was terrible and because it was our anniversary, we were just trying to do the best we could to enjoy each other and our anniversary. Would we stay again? No. Would we eat at the Novi Chop House again? No. Lesson learned and hopefully we can save someone else the same inconveniences that we encountered.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ReservationForTwo
Susan S, General Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear “Wish we would have chosen a different hotel and eaten at the Melting Pot.”
I was very disappointed to read your poor review of your most recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Novi. May I first apologize for the lack of knowledge regarding the Novi Chophouse as many our newer employees have not had an opportunity to eat in our four star restaurant The Novi Chop House. Often times our employees work during the day or simply do not have the opportunity to dine at their place of employment. It is our hope that the reputation and reviews for this restaurant proceed itself. Again, we apologize however for her candor and honesty regarding her personal experience at the restaurant.
Additionally, our General Manager for the Novi Chophouse would like to personally invite you back to rectify any service or lack of service issues that you may have experienced.
Finally, your feedback regarding the comfort of our beds is very important to us and to all future guests of the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Novi and is something we take very seriously. We also would like to invite you back to the hotel to experience another guest rooms that may be more suitable to your specific needs. This is not something we hear frequently and hope that it may have just been the case with this particular room.
Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.