“Good but overpriced”

Price range: US$21 - US$40
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We went to The Melting Pot recently for a special occasion. We've never been, so we figured we would give it a try. We decided to get the four course meal. For the first course we had the loaded baked potato cheese. Excellent choice. I felt it tasted the best with the brown bread and broccoli. I agree with others, the salad is a salad. I did like the peppercorn dressing. I'm actually glad the salad was small. Why fill up with a large salad. Course 3 was Land & Sea and Fondue Fusion. They give you 6 different dipping sauces for the meat. Some we liked, some we didn't. Fyi, you can substitute the meats, if there's something you don't like, in a particular combo. Course 4 was the milk chocolate with crunchy peanut butter. I'm not a big peanut butter fan, but this was excellent. Our server was excellent, once we were done with one course, she was right there with the next.

In a nut shell, yes the food comes in small servings and bite size pieces, but with the four course meal, you get more than enough food to be stuffed. It's definitely overpriced, but you're paying for the experience. The quality of the food was very good. Would I go again? Maybe, but I doubt I would get 4 courses. It's just way too much food.

My one big complaint, for the amount of money your paying for a meal, you would think they would repair the seats in the booth, not tape it up with duct tape. That's the type of thing you would expect to see in an old greasy spoon restaurant, not in a place where you're probably paying over $100 for 2 people.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

It was our first visit to this restaurant and found it to be nothing special. We arrive early for dinner (5:30) and found the place mostly empty. The waitress was right there to explain the menu options and to take our drink orders. We ordered the four course dinner, cheese fondue, salad, main course, desert. The cheese fondue was great. The salad was small and not noteworthy. The main course, chicken, sausage, shrimp and beef did not seem like a lot of food at first but I was full when finished. The potatoes and vegetables for the main course were replenished every time we asked. The desert was a bit much. A whole fondue pot full of chocolate. In all, the experience was just okay. Nothing to draw us back here anytime soon. There was nothing rushed about this meal. It took us a little over two hours for this meal.

1  Thank Tim D
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I was worried about coming to this location because of some of the reviews on TripAdvisor. When we arrived we were seated within 5 minutes of getting there. We purchased the romance package for $99. This came with 6 roses in a vase, the 4 course meal, and a bottle of wine.

The four courses include a cheese fondu of your choice with vegetables and breads. Optionally we opted to add the sausage tray for the $3. The cheese and the food to dip the cheese in was excellent. Myself and my girlfriend really enjoyed it. The salad was a salad. The meat that came with the food was good as well and there was a lot of it. They also provided a bunch of different sauces to dip the meat into. The final course was the chocolate fondu course. This comes with "dippers" which is basically cake, rice crispy treats, and various fruits to dip into your chocolate. They asked a few times if we wanted more "dippers" and that they were free if we did want them. We were stuffed so we didn't need any more food at that point.

The service was very good. Our waitress was very friendly and she related to myself and my girlfriend while we shared various stories about kids and work. She made sure throughout our meal that we were comfortable and enjoying ourselves.

I would say in the future that I will just do the cheese and desert portion with some drinks. It is not because the meat is bad but it is just meat afterall. I can get that anywhere. This isn't a knock on the Melting Pot just a preference of mine.

This is a fantastic place to go for a romantic evening. A 4 course meal does take about 2.5-3 hrs total but it really didn't seem that way. We had time to enjoy our drinks, our conversation, and the various courses. I definitely would suggest to come to the melting pot if you are looking for something different, romantic, or for a group.

2  Thank Robbins1980
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We have been to Melting Pot several times in several different cities and remember having good experiences. We decided to try the Novi location on Valentines Day. Soon after arriving and while waiting for our table, I mentioned to my boyfriend that maybe we should consider leaving because I had a feeling we were going to spend $100 easily and be very frustrated with our experience. We stayed, but when the bill came, my boyfriend made sure to tell me that I was right. Drinks were weak, server was not attentive, salads were ridiculously small, and the clientele was questionable. We will not be returning.

3  Thank DetroitareaKate
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

It was our first visit, the host staff were not very polite but our server was great and very helpful with our experience. The booths are cozy and every part of our meal was delicious, we will for sure be going back as a couple or with friends.

1  Thank Danielle D